Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

What happens when a journalist gets poor service

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What happens when a journalist gets poor service

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2012, 10:00 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold;BA GGL; hhonors lifetime diamond; Marriott lt Gold; IH Plat Amb; Amex Centurion
Originally Posted by Globaliser
I don't think I can join in either with criticism of the word or criticism of her use of the word.

This is because until I read that article, I'd never seen the word before in my entire life, and I still haven't got the faintest idea what it means.
For once Wikipedia can help us:-

Heteronormativity is a term to describe any of a set of lifestyle norms that hold that people fall into distinct and complementary genders (man and woman) with natural roles in life. It also holds that heterosexuality is the normal sexual orientation, and states that sexual and marital relations are most (or only) fitting between a man and a woman. Consequently, a "heteronormative" view is one that involves alignment of biological sex, sexuality, gender identity, and gender roles.
I would view it in the context of unconscious bias, as discussed above.
Old Jul 4, 2012, 10:01 am
Suspended

Programs: Mucci, BAEC (Silver), FlyBe
Originally Posted by hsmall
...I maintain my criticsm of the words "god-awfully stupid word" used in relation to it.
As you wish. I respectfully disagree...

Dictionaries take a while to catch up.
...because your assertion there tells me the word is far too t̶r̶e̶n̶d̶y̶ progressive to be used as if it were either in common use, or its meaning generally accepted as a principle, when neither is true.

Chambers does I am sure contain the word "homophobe", however.
Doubtless it contains many entries. However I'd be a little more careful about throwing such otherwise irrelevant words into a conversation where they might be construed as accusations about other FT members.
Old Jul 4, 2012, 10:08 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold;BA GGL; hhonors lifetime diamond; Marriott lt Gold; IH Plat Amb; Amex Centurion
Originally Posted by dark_horse
...because your assertion there tells me the word is far too t̶r̶e̶n̶d̶y̶ progressive to be used as if it were either in common use, or its meaning generally accepted as a principle, when neither is true.
Discussion of words is always interesting. as we clearly disagree about whether even "progressive" is a good or a bad thing I rather think we had better leave it there.
Old Jul 4, 2012, 10:15 am

.......I maintain my criticsm of the words "god-awfully stupid word" used in relation to it.
Searched Chambers, but "criticsm" isn't listed. I guess dictionaries just take a while to catch up....
Old Jul 4, 2012, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by muscat
Searched Chambers, but "criticsm" isn't listed. I guess dictionaries just take a while to catch up....
Oh, MIAOW
Old Jul 4, 2012, 10:20 am

Originally Posted by muscat
Old Jul 4, 2012, 10:56 am
Suspended

Programs: Mucci, BAEC (Silver), FlyBe
What happened to the OED anyway? I always thought that book was the authority on words vs. made-up words, but this Chambers fellow appears to have muscled in on the whole affair.

I've never even been formally introduced...
Old Jul 4, 2012, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
For once Wikipedia can help us:-
As I say, I still haven't got the faintest idea what it means. I'd be the first person to champion the cause of resisting unconscious bias, but I'm sure there must be some English words that would have done the job.
Old Jul 4, 2012, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
What a silly blog/article... It does raise two good points (although unintentionally):

1. If you use Social Media you either do it well (like KLM) or not at all. BA really need a serious lesson there. For that I am also available at a price.

2. Overly sympathetic replies to silly complaints have a counter productive effect. The cut & paste brigade that is BA's customer service department should be seriously overhauled.

Both 1 & 2 can be addressed at the same time. It requires a rethink of how to interact with customers, both in channels and tone.

If BA had simply replied with:

Unfortunately weather delays are beyond our control, as they are beyond the control of Easyjet.

all would have been so much clearer than the stupid response she got about disappointing her etc.

Seems like they still need a communication manager after all.
Old Jul 4, 2012, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Admittedly, English is not my native language, so I am not sure if it is heteronormative to describe the author of the article as a nagging biatch?
Old Jul 4, 2012, 12:11 pm

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Diamond + Ambassador, Accor Gold, Avis President's Club, Heathrow Rewards
Originally Posted by henkybaby
For that I am also available at a price.
How subtle, you're not Dutch are you?
Old Jul 4, 2012, 12:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AAirpass, & CK 2MM, MR Plat Premier, DL Plat, US Plat, UA RECOVERING GS
Originally Posted by DillMan
Yes
Originally Posted by Tengsted
No, actually. I'm decades younger than T, and there's no way I'd use a social media website to address a customer service issue, that is publicly available for the world to see.

I'm not an attention-seeker, or DYKWIA.

Ahhhh, I was unclear. I was agreeing with T's statement regarding not doing business with major companies via twitter.

I was not affirming the "maybe it is an age" part. I, too, am just pre-middle aged and I steadfastly refuse to do any sort of business with anyone via twitter. Suggesting one do so is foreign to me.
Old Jul 4, 2012, 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by travelfan199
Can sympathise:
1. Social media should work on Sundays;
2. Customer relations should try to offer some sort of substantive reply. Hearing nothing is better than the cut & paste job;
3. From a passenger's point of view, the point is that they were late but their friends on easyjet weren't.
1. Why?

2. I don't see why the customer relations should delve any deeper from a standard response to what must surely be a standard complaint.

3. It's not an apples to apples comparison. They did not take the same route from the same airport. She can most certainly be upset, but she can't really blame BA for how Heathrow was affected by the weather foibles and Gatwick wasn't.
Old Jul 4, 2012, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
Originally Posted by abczyx
1. Why?
24/7 business requires 24/7 customer service. Much like not having a 24/7 Gold line outside US/UK. Ridiculous.

2. I don't see why the customer relations should delve any deeper from a standard response to what must surely be a standard complaint.

3. It's not an apples to apples comparison. They did not take the same route from the same airport. She can most certainly be upset, but she can't really blame BA for how Heathrow was affected by the weather foibles and Gatwick wasn't.
Because to explain 3 you should not use 2.
Old Jul 4, 2012, 1:09 pm

Programs: IC RA
Originally Posted by abczyx
1. Why?

1. Because other businesses do have a better social media presence, including other airlines. BA is a full service airline.

2. A standard response that is so blatant is not good customer service.

3. From a passenger's perspective, the competition is 'London airports', not LHR alone.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.