Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

What happens when a journalist gets poor service

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What happens when a journalist gets poor service

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2012, 8:12 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Diamond + Ambassador, Accor Gold, Avis President's Club, Heathrow Rewards
Originally Posted by Petrus
As for the journalist; DYKWIA of the worst kind. She needs to take a good look at herself and learn to manage expectations. Her letter appears condescending and oozing with entitlement. She can stick to Easyjet for all I know. Bye bye
^ I could not agree more. Unfortunately, I deal with journalists a lot as part of my work and can't say I am generally very impressed with them.

Unjustified moan by someone with what comes across as a hugely inflated sense of self-importance. Doesn't sound like she flies a lot.

And BTW, if she's based in Earl's Court, she'll still get to T5 a lot quicker by tube than to LGW with t'orange bus.
Old Jul 2, 2012, 8:12 am

Programs: BA Silver, EK Silver, ABP ;)
Originally Posted by Fruitcake
Exactly. What a pompous, self-important article.
It has the grating Islington-centric overtones of the Guardian.

Why just one page darling - the whole world revolves around you anyway...
Old Jul 2, 2012, 8:27 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
What shall one do when a journalist makes the life of other people nearby less pleasant by being loud, semi-obnoxious and being a leg-shaker and shaking the whole row of seats on a BA flight? (This really happened, today!)

Pity I am not a journalist and I can't loudly criticise him on my blog (which does not exist).

Last edited by LTN Phobia; Jul 2, 2012 at 8:35 am
Old Jul 2, 2012, 8:28 am

While most agree her complaint is completely out of touch with reality and she will get some flak for it, lets not make this thread about her please.

She might blog about it.
Old Jul 2, 2012, 8:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
IME, airlines are very bad (LH I'm looking at you in particular) at assuming that a male and female travelling together are a couple, and it therefore follows that they consider it acceptable to address all correspondence/questions/communications to the male from that point forward. Her point there actually really resonates with my experience of airlines generally (BA included). I've frequently travelled with male colleagues and friends, and virtually always had to disabuse someone within the airline of the idea we were a couple. And frequently had the whole 'I'm the female person in the couple so I'm now invisible' feeling.

As the female, who gets treated as the inferior person, it's really not something I appreciate or like. And it really shouldn't happen. Good staff manage to include both of you in the communication.

It's always going to be hard to get crew to not assume you are a couple, because they deal with so many couples. But to have CS do it is pretty poor.

It's also the kind of sexism that (generally) women are much more aware of than men because it's much more obvious to the woman that she is considered surplus to the conversation.
Old Jul 2, 2012, 8:45 am
Suspended

Programs: Mucci, BAEC (Silver), FlyBe
Happy post:

Congratulations on your 1,000th post, ClubClassCowboy!
Old Jul 2, 2012, 8:46 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Diamond + Ambassador, Accor Gold, Avis President's Club, Heathrow Rewards
She also fishes for avios in compensation...

It doesn't sound like she flies BA or OW very often, so I am not sure how much use those would be, but let's hope BA doesn't give in or in a few months we'll have another thread about another one of her blog articles about the infuriating taxes and fees for redemption flights
Old Jul 2, 2012, 8:50 am

Programs: BA Silver, EK Silver, ABP ;)
Originally Posted by dark_horse
Congratulations on your 1,000th post, ClubClassCowboy!
Thanks
Old Jul 2, 2012, 8:52 am

Interestingly, I always seem to be assumed to be the one wearing pants whenever I travel with a male, whether that is my husband or not. I openly admit I wear the pants in my personal life anyway, and to a large extent in my professional life. My husband gets to boss around people when he's at work anyway, so he doesn't need to be the boss at home - he might feel like it but I don't let him and he is quite OK with it. Maybe it shows. I have never had the crew, ground or air, or hotel people or anyone else for that matter talk to my husband to speak on my behalf or anything remotely similar. He's almost 1' taller than me so he should be easier to notice, to boot.

Consequently I have never been spoken to as if I were secondary or inferior to him or any male, female, androgynous being etc. The only time I have ever been spoken to as if I were inferior to anyone has been... my old cat but it was indeed true - I was inferior to him!

I wouldn't particularly like it if I were treated as an inferior being but it just doesn't seem to happen somehow. I must look like a right ogre.

P.S. In truth, I suspect the reason for my not being treated as a tag-along to my husband or male colleagues is because I'm the highest or the sole status holder in many cases, and I suspect they look at that sort of information.
Old Jul 2, 2012, 9:11 am

It is clearly outrageous that anyone should write a blog post on this matter without first researching flow control. Such people deserve the generic responses they get (during office hours, of course).
Old Jul 2, 2012, 9:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
My husband gets to boss around people when he's at work anyway, so he doesn't need to be the boss at home - he might feel like it but I don't let him and he is quite OK with it.
He's obviously a sensible chap who prefers the quiet life.
Old Jul 2, 2012, 9:21 am

Originally Posted by HIDDY
He's obviously a sensible chap who prefers the quiet life.
Oh he tried at first. Then he came to his senses
Old Jul 2, 2012, 9:34 am

Programs: BA Plastic. HH Diamond. Speedwell Bar Lifetime Platinum.
Originally Posted by Petrus
She might blog about it.
It's already started!

Originally Posted by Kate's Answer in her blog
Think I'll let the posters on that thread get on with making ill-informed snipes at me by themselves.
Old Jul 2, 2012, 9:50 am

Programs: BA Gold, several other less interesting cards...
We're ill-informed on FT
Old Jul 2, 2012, 9:50 am
Suspended

Programs: Mucci, BAEC (Silver), FlyBe
Originally Posted by Tengsted
Originally Posted by Kate's Answer in her blog
Think I'll let the posters on that thread get on with making ill-informed snipes at me by themselves.
Why, yes. It's the frequent flyers who are ill-informed...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.