Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

What happens when a journalist gets poor service

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What happens when a journalist gets poor service

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2012, 2:16 am

Haha that is great bealine! And Sadly, true for some.

"Look at me!!"
Old Jul 4, 2012, 3:10 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by Phil the Flyer
And I'm chaste because I can't catch you.
I know Darling - so I should tweet "Phil the Fliers Zimmer Frame in overdrive again!"

Actually for you that was really witty!
XXXX
Old Jul 4, 2012, 3:27 am

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE

Actually for you that was really witty!
XXXX
Witty enough for a Mucci? Go on, you know you want to give me one.
Old Jul 4, 2012, 3:31 am
gum

Programs: LH Blue, BA Blue, Hyatt Gold
Would like to agree!

Originally Posted by sunrisegirl
But had she made them without her constant praise of Easy Jet, followed by her request for an upgrade and offering her services to BA for a fee, then maybe she would have been more respected. @:-)

Her lack of knowledge on flow control, and other jibes also made it more of a rant than highlighting possible valid points.
^

Would just like to add another interesting point of the "story" of the journalist: IMO it´s only a really silly and stupid attempt of hard selling

After a long moaning concerning a very simple and in matter of time tiny delay - and boring the reader - her one and only valid point is hidden within the last two lines.

She wants to "consult" BA in respect of the proper use of modern media.

This is indeed a horrible idea and imagination that a person communicating such a lack of empathy and knowledge should consult a well-known and famous company like BA!

[my own rant begins]
Maybe she should offer a "rant consulting" or give out advices how to overflow the customer service of competitors with senseless requests.
[rant over]
Old Jul 4, 2012, 3:48 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by Phil the Flyer
Witty enough for a Mucci? Go on, you know you want to give me one.
You have constantly moaned that having 13 of them did nothing for you. Is there nothing else I can give to put a spring in your step? It is a rotten summer in the UK but there's a NCE LGW non stop and it's no distance to SRG's hot tub. I hope that she's cleaned it since the last lot she had at that LGW staff BBQ (she thought I had not heard about this)

Sorry this has nothing to do with this ridiculous woman "journalist" are we certain that this is not Rebecca Brooks under a Nom de Biro?
Old Jul 4, 2012, 3:53 am

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE

Is there nothing else I can give to put a spring in your step?
Nothing that a cosy tete-a-tete during a 36 hour CAI crew stopover between BA155/154 flights wouldn't cure.

Actually Moomba's got me down as having 14 Muccis, you must have given me one when I wasn't looking - time to update my profile.
Old Jul 4, 2012, 5:04 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold;BA GGL; hhonors lifetime diamond; Marriott lt Gold; IH Plat Amb; Amex Centurion
Originally Posted by dark_horse

because she accuses BA of being 'heteronormative' (and tossing in such a god-awfully stupid word without warning is bad enough) because they only responded to one person in the Twitter exchange "even though he and I had included each other in our @s to BA". Y'know, because maybe it would have been reasonable to assume that they were both on the conversation (as indeed they were) instead of pretending it was because BA was making some sort of judgement on her sexual preferences.
I am not an unqualified supporter of hers either (although I think we should be a little less rude as well). But "heteronormative" is a well known word describing a well known and not very nice condition. A good definition of the concept, in the context of unconscious bias, of which it forms a part, is that a sufferer may consciously believe in equality while simultaneously acting on subconscious prejudices they are not aware of.

BA has sometimes suffered from this, in my experience. And the issue jenbel raises with respect to the assumption of the male of the partnership being the leader is another side of the same coin. I see unconscious heteronormative bias in the difficulty some BA staff have in recognising my husband and me as a couple ("your ... errr ... friend"). The more progressive employers in the UK are training their staff about this.

So an emotive reaction to a word describing a well known and not particularly nice phenomenon, is, shall we say, not helpful. If you would like to read more about the well established concept of unconscious bias you can start here.
Old Jul 4, 2012, 5:32 am
Suspended

Programs: Mucci, BAEC (Silver), FlyBe
Originally Posted by hsmall
So an emotive reaction to a word describing a well known and not particularly nice phenomenon, is, shall we say, not helpful.
I don't doubt it, but such a reaction to her erroneous perception that she was being maligned due to reasons of gender is entirely appropriate.

Coming off the back of the long string of flimsy accusations that made up her post, trying to pin yet another apparently 'obvious' sin onto BA just smacked of desperation. And a gender inferiority complex, IMHO. Neither of those were, shall we say, helpful.

P.S.
Melons.
Old Jul 4, 2012, 5:46 am

Programs: Usual Amex Cent. GGL.
But "heteronormative" is a well known word describing a well known and not very nice condition.
It may be well known in some circles but if I Google it I get less than half a million hits as opposed to say the nearly three billion for a well known word such as "cat".
Old Jul 4, 2012, 8:20 am

Originally Posted by Deckard
It may be well known in some circles but if I Google it I get less than half a million hits as opposed to say the nearly three billion for a well known word such as "cat".
Strangely, "heteronormative" is not in Chambers Dictionary 12th Edition (published 2011), but "bollocks" is.
Old Jul 4, 2012, 9:01 am

Originally Posted by muscat
Strangely, "heteronormative" is not in Chambers Dictionary 12th Edition (published 2011), but "bollocks" is.
Nicely put!
Old Jul 4, 2012, 9:28 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold;BA GGL; hhonors lifetime diamond; Marriott lt Gold; IH Plat Amb; Amex Centurion
Originally Posted by muscat
Dictionaries take a while to catch up. Chambers does I am sure contain the word "homophobe", however.
Old Jul 4, 2012, 9:31 am

Dictionaries take a while to catch up. Chambers does I am sure contain the word "homophobe", however.
As is "non sequitur"
Old Jul 4, 2012, 9:44 am

Originally Posted by dark_horse
I don't doubt it, but such a reaction to her erroneous perception that she was being maligned due to reasons of gender is entirely appropriate.

Coming off the back of the long string of flimsy accusations that made up her post, trying to pin yet another apparently 'obvious' sin onto BA just smacked of desperation. And a gender inferiority complex, IMHO. Neither of those were, shall we say, helpful.

P.S.
Melons.
I agree that her writing leaves a lot to be desired and I am generally with the people that disagree with her whole approach, including her use of the word "heteronormative". The word itself however is a reasonable one, regardless of whether it was correctly used in this context or not, and I maintain my criticsm of the words "god-awfully stupid word" used in relation to it.
Old Jul 4, 2012, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
The word itself however is a reasonable one, regardless of whether it was correctly used in this context or not, and I maintain my criticsm of the words "god-awfully stupid word" used in relation to it.
I don't think I can join in either with criticism of the word or criticism of her use of the word.

This is because until I read that article, I'd never seen the word before in my entire life, and I still haven't got the faintest idea what it means.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.