Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

An example of excellence: trip on BA 85 3 March

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2012, 5:39 am
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: HH D, Rad VIP, Marriott G

Had a brilliant trip yesterday with BA, throughout the various stages, that remind one...when BA get it right, they really get it right.

At T5 yesterday, there were plenty of check-in desks manned for all flight classes and the person greeting us at a CW desk was friendly, polite and efficient. On to the GF lounge and again, the desk staff greeted us with a smile and welcome. Fast track was truly fast without delays...Even the lounge serving staff came and took our food order in the dining area very quickly and seemed genuinely pleased to be busy and dealing with customers. I think this early afternoon period may be less busy but still, everything went like clockwork.

On arrival at the gate to board, they were strictly enforcing priority boarding and although we decided to wait to board and it being a full flight, this all happened very quickly and was well organised. At the door to the plane my wife and I were warmly greeted by name by the CSD and as 'returning exec club members...thanks for flying with us'.

We were very lucky to have been Op-Up'ed (WT+ to CW) and the flight was full in WT, WT+ and CW...not a spare seat to be seen anywhere in these cabins...however, the crew were simply brilliant. I did not hear anyone having to get their second choice for a meal or being told that a certain selection was not available (at least on our LD CW cabin) and we were at the back of that!

The food and service were punctual with crew going around several times to top up drinks and ask if anything was needed...truly great.

The CSD came around at one point and stopped to say she saw I was a GCH and just wanted to say thank you for flying with them and she hoped that everything was as it should be?...small touch but still very nice.

My only issue on the the flight was the cabin temperature...I like it warm but wow...I would have slept comfortably in just a pair of speedos in that heat!

Cabin crew were great in that they let us sleep through afternoon tea and happily provided some tea for us when we did get up just before we started to descend.

Bags came out fairly quickly and priority tags at YVR do seem to work!

All in all, a fantastic day with BA and a great example of how they are trying and succeeding at improving things across the board.

Well done will be sent as well on ba.com

If all the flights were this good and consistent, there would be no competition!

^^
Old Mar 4, 2012, 5:59 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, MUCCI, Junior Jet Club.
So nice to hear a positive story in amongst all the moaning. ^ I have to say, this chimes with the majority of my experiences with BA over the last 18 months. Things really have got better.
Old Mar 4, 2012, 6:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
Originally Posted by BahrainLad
So nice to hear a positive story in amongst all the moaning. ^ I have to say, this chimes with the majority of my experiences with BA over the last 18 months. Things really have got better.
Not trying to be a party pooper but what I read is: I had a flight with an airline like it should be, including a very much appreciated upgrade which probably put me in a good enough mood not to whine too much about the horrendous temperature on board.

Nothing 'excellent' about it...

If 'normal' service is the exception we still have a long way to go before things get 'better'.

Last edited by henkybaby; Mar 4, 2012 at 6:10 am
Old Mar 4, 2012, 6:05 am

Originally Posted by henkybaby

If 'normal' service is the exception we still have a long way to go before thing get 'better'.
Well said ^
Old Mar 4, 2012, 6:52 am
Original Poster
Accor Contributor BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Not trying to be a party pooper but what I read is: I had a flight with an airline like it should be, including a very much appreciated upgrade which probably put me in a good enough mood not to whine too much about the horrendous temperature on board.

If 'normal' service is the exception we still have a long way to go before things get 'better'.
To each their own. I was happy to have the Op-Up but don't think this has made me see the BA world with rose tinted glasses in this case. My biggest issue with BA is that the service is NOT consistent...and I do now fly more with other airlines so feel I have a balanced view.

The small details were what made it better than 'average' in my opinion.

As mentioned, I like it warm and therefore tend to need a fleece or hoodie to be sufficiently warm on flights...so warm was better than cold for me...but this was truly too warm. I know temperature is more important to you HB!

Anyway, it was better than average, due to the small but differentiating details...as always, YMMV.
Old Mar 4, 2012, 7:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BotB
Anyway, it was better than average, due to the small but differentiating details...as always, YMMV.
I don't disagree. What I tried to say was that you now find 'regular service' to be special and think of normal things (like timely service and personal attention for example) as differentiating. That in a way is sad.

I fly other airlines too and I truly feel that BA still has a long way to go when it comes to service, oddly enough mostly in the premium cabins. I like their Y service.

The cabin temperature is not even that big of a (negatively) differentiating issue. I was also slowly cooked on a Lufthansa flight the other day.
Old Mar 4, 2012, 7:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Glad to hear it BotB....out flight to YVR last September was one of our best BA flights ever.

I think BA get it right most of the time...maybe some people expect too much from them especially those who have flown CX/SQ or those who have a touch of DYKWIA about them.
Old Mar 4, 2012, 7:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HIDDY
I think BA get it right most of the time...maybe some people expect too much from them especially those who have flown CX/SQ or those who have a touch of DYKWIA about them.
Actually, my favourite airline (cabin-crew-wise) is KLM. They seem to really enjoy their job. It is not about being treated like royalty or being waited on hand and foot. It is the absolute chagrin of a lot of cc on BA that annoys me. I just tend to cuddle up in my seat and try to forget all about them asap.

On the other hand: the ones that are brilliant are really brilliant.
Old Mar 4, 2012, 7:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Actually, my favourite airline (cabin-crew-wise) is KLM.
Yes I've always liked the KLM crews. Maybe it's because I'm British that I like BA crew as well.
Old Mar 4, 2012, 8:16 am
Suspended

Programs: BA Exec Club, EK Skywards, Hilton Hhonors. No Mucci, but have a far more useful Gucci (wallet).

^

'nuff said !
Old Mar 4, 2012, 10:13 am
Original Poster
Accor Contributor BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Interesting, I am geniuinely curious as to what would constitute an 'excellent' experience then?
Old Mar 4, 2012, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
I thought of repyling to the OP earlier today, but resisted until I saw what others had said.

If all the flights were this good and consistent, there would be no competition!
... and there's the rub. Whilst I'm pleased the OP had a good flight and everything seemed to be delivered as advertised, so often this is not the case.

I take henkybaby's point exactly ... why should anyone be pleased because BA did what it said it would? There's only one reason: so often, it doesn't! So "better than average" tells its own story, in that sense
Old Mar 4, 2012, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Interesting, I am geniuinely curious as to what would constitute an 'excellent' experience then?
In my case: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...f-airline.html
Old Mar 4, 2012, 2:30 pm

Programs: BA Gold, EK Gold, GF Silver, IC Royal Ambass, Marriott Gold, TK Elite

But wouldn't it be a boring forum if everyone was as happy as this OP
Old Mar 4, 2012, 9:58 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, SPG Somthingorother, et Mucci
I was out at YVR yesterday and watched this very flight land... without landing lights. 45 minutes after sunset.

Not sure what the rules and regs are concerning use of lights but listening to the ATC on my iPhone someone said "Landing lights" as the plane came over the threshold but nothing came on. I wondered if maybe there were problems.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.