Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

What's the most Avios you got from BA as compensation and for what?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What's the most Avios you got from BA as compensation and for what?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2024, 3:36 am

Originally Posted by Definitas
Update to post 996, Mrs Definitas replied to the BA email which was offering 10,000 Avios (I had initially thought it was a no-reply email address) stating that she felt that 10,000 was not an acceptable offer and asking for consideration to be given to increase it. I have looked at the fees levied (this was a one way booking MIA-LHR) which total 420 per person and the Avios per person was 62500. If the Avios are valued at 1.6p (as per the BA selling price), that values the ticket purchase at 1420 and the 10,000 Avios at 1.6p have a face value of 160, which is just over 11% of the total. I am not sure what percentage of the seat provision was lost due to the inability to make a flat bed on an overnight flight but I feel that it should be closer to 50%. We obviously need to allow BA some time to consider the initial rejection of the offer but, if no increase is forthcoming, I think I may consider attempting to make a section 75 claim on the grounds that the advertised product was not provided or perhaps even going to MCOL. Do any of the more experienced FT subscribers have any personal knowledge of that happening and, if so, what the outcome was?

An update to my initial post. somewhat disappointingly, I havent had any reply to my complaint (done via online proforma) from BA. I am not really sure how I would go about claiming a partial refund via a Section 75 claim so I have decided to go down the MCOL route (which will be a first). I am going to do some research on how best to present my case but I am minded to aim for 50% of the fare cost (710), which equates to approximately 44,000 Avios and which seems reasonable given the amounts quoted in other posts on this thread. I hope to be able to convince the court that being deprived of a flatbed on an overnight flight represents a loss of 50% of the Club World experience. Any tips from FT subscribers on MCOL best practice would be greatly appreciated.
Old Apr 28, 2024, 6:04 am

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by Definitas
An update to my initial post. somewhat disappointingly, I havent had any reply to my complaint (done via online proforma) from BA. I am not really sure how I would go about claiming a partial refund via a Section 75 claim so I have decided to go down the MCOL route (which will be a first). I am going to do some research on how best to present my case but I am minded to aim for 50% of the fare cost (710), which equates to approximately 44,000 Avios and which seems reasonable given the amounts quoted in other posts on this thread. I hope to be able to convince the court that being deprived of a flatbed on an overnight flight represents a loss of 50% of the Club World experience. Any tips from FT subscribers on MCOL best practice would be greatly appreciated.
I would concur that 10,000 Avios is nowhere near sufficient recompense if the bed mode was unavailable throughout the flight.

For some context, if you're downgraded to a lower class, you're entitled to 75% of the fare back under UK261. Clearly the issue wasn't as significant as being downgraded to WTP - your wife would still have benefitted from lounge access and fast track security (unless already available by virtue of you or her having status), plus better catering and IFE. But it's nevertheless a substantial downgrade on an overnight flight and something in the region of 50% of the amount paid sounds right to me.

Your strongest argument for recourse would be that failure to provide a working flatbed constitutes a breach of the implied term of reasonable care and skill under section 49 of the Consumer Rights Act. It's also arguably a breach of an implied term as to the availability of a flat bed under section 50 of the CRA, although that may be a slightly weaker argument as it would require you to demonstrate that BA had made a statement about CW having flat beds that influenced your purchasing decision.

Personally speaking, I would try a section 75 claim first. MCOL can absolutely be successful, but there is a lot more effort and stress involved than with a s75 claim. Most credit card lenders don't necessarily make it easy to make a s75 claim, often wrongly claiming you first need to raise a chargeback (even though that would be fruitless here). But if you insist that you want to raise a s75 claim they must do so - raise a complaint if they refuse.

The advantage of a s75 claim is that you can take your credit card lender to the Financial Ombudsman if you're unhappy with the way they handle it, e.g. you feel they've unfairly rejected or undervalued it.

The Financial Ombudsman isn't perfect - they have a long backlog at the moment, which means you might be waiting 6-12 months to get a decision - but they are completely free and impartial and relatively competent. The worst possible outcome is them rejecting your case and leaving you back where you were when you started, i.e. able to take the matter to MCOL if you want. Unlike at Court, there isn't even the remote possibility of being ordered to pay costs.

​​​​​
Definitas likes this.

Last edited by flarmip; Apr 28, 2024 at 6:09 am
Old Apr 28, 2024, 8:20 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Platinum, FlyingBlue Gold, Hilton Gold, Mucci des repas d'enfant
5K and 10K for the free messaging wi-fi not working this week, one more whinge still outstanding. Helps offset the avios lot on a remdemption I had to cancel for today due to earlier irrops

And a 25 voucher for non-delivery of a speedbird cafe order without refunding the order. Id be a little bit miffed at that one if it wasnt for the fact that the lovely crew rustled up something anyway.
Old Apr 28, 2024, 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by flarmip
I would concur that 10,000 Avios is nowhere near sufficient recompense if the bed mode was unavailable throughout the flight.

For some context, if you're downgraded to a lower class, you're entitled to 75% of the fare back under UK261. Clearly the issue wasn't as significant as being downgraded to WTP - your wife would still have benefitted from lounge access and fast track security (unless already available by virtue of you or her having status), plus better catering and IFE. But it's nevertheless a substantial downgrade on an overnight flight and something in the region of 50% of the amount paid sounds right to me.

Your strongest argument for recourse would be that failure to provide a working flatbed constitutes a breach of the implied term of reasonable care and skill under section 49 of the Consumer Rights Act. It's also arguably a breach of an implied term as to the availability of a flat bed under section 50 of the CRA, although that may be a slightly weaker argument as it would require you to demonstrate that BA had made a statement about CW having flat beds that influenced your purchasing decision.

Personally speaking, I would try a section 75 claim first. MCOL can absolutely be successful, but there is a lot more effort and stress involved than with a s75 claim. Most credit card lenders don't necessarily make it easy to make a s75 claim, often wrongly claiming you first need to raise a chargeback (even though that would be fruitless here). But if you insist that you want to raise a s75 claim they must do so - raise a complaint if they refuse.

The advantage of a s75 claim is that you can take your credit card lender to the Financial Ombudsman if you're unhappy with the way they handle it, e.g. you feel they've unfairly rejected or undervalued it.

The Financial Ombudsman isn't perfect - they have a long backlog at the moment, which means you might be waiting 6-12 months to get a decision - but they are completely free and impartial and relatively competent. The worst possible outcome is them rejecting your case and leaving you back where you were when you started, i.e. able to take the matter to MCOL if you want. Unlike at Court, there isn't even the remote possibility of being ordered to pay costs.

​​​​​
You make a convincing argument. I used BA Amex to pay the cash element of flight cost and it will be interesting to see what their response to a S75 request is. Thanks for the advice.
Old May 3, 2024, 3:37 am

Programs: BAEC
40,000 Avios for failed delivery of bags at Heathrow (second time in a row that this has happened when arriving back at T5) and subsequent disruption whilst I waited for my bag to be delivered to my house.
flarmip likes this.
Old May 3, 2024, 8:13 am

Programs: BAEC, AMEX BA Platinum
5K avios for cancelled flight from LHR to FRA last week even though they managed to get me on a slightly better LH flight on the same day
Old May 3, 2024, 8:24 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by EssexAVgeek
5K avios for cancelled flight from LHR to FRA last week even though they managed to get me on a slightly better LH flight on the same day
So you complained about them doing you a favour? 😂
Old May 3, 2024, 8:27 am

Programs: BAEC, AMEX BA Platinum
Originally Posted by labdoctor
So you complained about them doing you a favour? 😂
I complained about their terrible phone system in trying to get it resolved, timeframe of the cancellation (I know this can't always be helped) and the unsuitable alternatives they gave me.

A wonderful person on their live chat eventually sorted it for me very quickly and they probably lost money on my booking by putting me on LH
Old May 4, 2024, 7:40 am

Programs: BA Exec Club: Gold HHons:Diamond FB:Ivory Accor:Plat Hertz: PC USA:GlobalEntry
No response from customer services but I'm assuming the 20k Avios deposited was for:
CW catering not up to scratch.
No CW bedding pillow available.
IFE needed rebooting 3 times during flight.
Club suite door wouldn't close.
Old May 4, 2024, 8:17 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by EssexAVgeek
I complained about their terrible phone system in trying to get it resolved, timeframe of the cancellation (I know this can't always be helped) and the unsuitable alternatives they gave me.

A wonderful person on their live chat eventually sorted it for me very quickly and they probably lost money on my booking by putting me on LH
So, actually you received 5k Avios for poor customer service, not for the cancellation itself.
Old May 6, 2024, 9:26 am

Recent trip LHR to ORD in F, the in flight entertainment didn’t work other than the moving map and it was one of the Dreamliners which hasn’t yet been fitted with wi-fi. Just had a response (I only complained on Saturday) and 20,000 Avios each for Mr S and I.
LCSinTexas likes this.
Old May 6, 2024, 9:38 am

Programs: BAEC Silver IHG Diamond Ambassador Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Soupey202
Recent trip LHR to ORD in F, the in flight entertainment didnt work other than the moving map and it was one of the Dreamliners which hasnt yet been fitted with wi-fi. Just had a response (I only complained on Saturday) and 20,000 Avios each for Mr S and I.
Definitely appeal it by replying. I got 25,000 (10,000 initially then 15,000 more on appeal) for no IFE from HND to LHR in Y
Old May 7, 2024, 11:58 am

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
Flew LAX-LHR in WT+ on the A388 and my wife's seat was broken (no recline). Is this worth reaching out to BA about and requesting compensation?
Old May 7, 2024, 2:08 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott GFL
Originally Posted by anc-ord772
Flew LAX-LHR in WT+ on the A388 and my wife's seat was broken (no recline). Is this worth reaching out to BA about and requesting compensation?
Yes.

LcS
Old May 7, 2024, 2:19 pm

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
Originally Posted by LCSinTexas
Yes.

LcS
Ok, worth a shot. Let's see what happens.
LCSinTexas likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.