Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

What's the most Avios you got from BA as compensation and for what?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2012, 5:53 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, BA Lounge Rats, BA Audit Survivors, CW Kitchen Defender, CX Noodle Connoisseurs Club

This is an attempt to work out BA's compensation "Menu".

I will update this post as often as possible if/when patterns occur.

Please use the template below to post your entry.

Let's also say it has to have happened within the past 3 years in order to make it onto the list.

Lastly we're not interested in Money compensation, only Avios.

Date:
Cabin Flown:
My Status:
Complaint:
Compensation:

So far we have learned the following:

2K for complaining about a lethargic Club World crew that didn't serve any the Club passengers breakfast
5K for drinking an out of date carton of Five Alive
5k for a 3 hour 50 minute delay
5K for being slightly annoyed about something or other
5K for non working AVOD in WT
10K for minor observations of other pax
5K for non-functioning/flickering screens in CE
10K for broken seat in WT
10K for sticking with BA during strikes
10K for broken boards
10K for a pax electrical device getting broken during flight
10k for arriving two days late
15k instead of a refund of a sneaky £15x2 charge added to booking
15K for broken AVOD in CW/WT+/WT
20K for AVOD running in backup mode in F
20K-37.5K for broken seat in CW
30k for poor service in F on a MF longhaul
35k for a dirty F cabin after writing a letter of complaint to the CEO
50K to a GCH for broken footrest in CW
50k significant IFE reliability issues in revenue F
50K for the catering strike
100K for broken seat in F
100K for the Gate Gourmet fun and games (GCH)

Status may or may not make a difference.
CaroFos likes this.

Last edited by PanGalactic; Jan 2, 2013 at 6:36 pm
Old Feb 7, 2012, 6:01 am

Programs: BA: CCR / GGL / GFL Marriott: PtFL
15k for non working AVOD.

Had it 4 times in 2011, so got paid 60k Avios to use my iPad
Old Feb 7, 2012, 6:14 am

37.5k for broken seats in CW - standard compensation.

Each time it was one of the usual rocking horse style beds that sometimes pop-up in CW after the previous passenger gives it a good battering.
Old Feb 7, 2012, 6:15 am

Programs: MUCCI
While I'm happy when people highlight poor service recovery offers they have recieved and ask for advice - as I do think some have been insulting at times, I'm not at all sure about the wisdom of this thread.

It will just be used as a cheat sheet for all low life scavengers across the internet. Sabotaging their own bags, or even seats and other cabin aspects just to elicit compensation!

Rememeber, true compensation / appology need not have an Avios or cash price, it could be any number of other things, natures etc. Sometimes just a true appology.

That said, the best that has been recieved by some (in terms of avios or cash) we will never hear about here, even if they are FT members.

So, while I'm more than happy when people, including brand new 1 post members, ask about a compensation offer they have recieved as they consider it to be wrong (not just they want as much as possible), or because they think a legitimate compalint has not been listened to / understood at BA, I do not think this thread benefits any of us who fly BA.
Rudyroo likes this.

Last edited by David-A; Feb 7, 2012 at 6:48 am
Old Feb 7, 2012, 6:26 am

Programs: BAEC (Gold), Hilton (Gold)
I feel this thread will inevitably end in tears.

There will be comparisons, somebody will feel 'cheated' because somebody else got more than them for the same problem and it will degenerate from then on.

BAH
DXB2745 likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2012, 6:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by BAHumbug
I tend to agree.

Not sure how much of a good idea this thread is...
Rudyroo likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2012, 6:39 am

very interesting thread.

i would be interesting to see how many people have recieved avios following a genuine complaint.
Old Feb 7, 2012, 7:08 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by David-A
While I'm happy when people highlight poor service recovery offers they have recieved and ask for advice - as I do think some have been insulting at times, I'm not at all sure about the wisdom of this thread.

It will just be used as a cheat sheet for all low life scavengers across the internet. Sabotaging their own bags, or even seats and other cabin aspects just to elicit compensation!

Rememeber, true compensation / appology need not have an Avios or cash price, it could be any number of other things, natures etc. Sometimes just a true appology.

That said, the best that has been recieved by some (in terms of avios or cash) we will never hear about here, even if they are FT members.

So, while I'm more than happy when people, including brand new 1 post members, ask about a compensation offer they have recieved as they consider it to be wrong (not just they want as much as possible), or because they think a legitimate compalint has not been listened to / understood at BA, I do not think this thread benefits any of us who fly BA.
Very strong descriptive "low life scavengers" No doubt you are referring to a very small minority here but I'm sure the vast majority of claims are justified. Let's face it, if you've paid for a particular product and it isn't delivered or not in the condition its supposed to be then you are entitled to some form of compensation, that's only right, is it not?
Old Feb 7, 2012, 7:12 am

Programs: BA Silver
Me, too, so count me in

I've had the standard amount for non-working AVOD in both CW and WT+.

The only other one I can remember was writing in to ask why I could see from ba.com that my LHR-EDI flight was going to be late, since the EDI-LHR had not departed yet, but the boards in the lounge had not been updated to reflect that - they indicated it would still leave on time.

I wasn't looking for any miles for that - it was a genuine questions and suggestion that they keep the boards up to date. I think I got 10K for that (and an apology that didn't really say anything would be done).
Old Feb 7, 2012, 7:15 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, BA Lounge Rats, BA Audit Survivors, CW Kitchen Defender, CX Noodle Connoisseurs Club

There will be comparisons, somebody will feel 'cheated' because somebody else got more than them for the same problem and it will degenerate from then on.

BAH
On the contrary, i was hoping we could figure out whether ba has a compensation "menu". Also if sttatus makes any difference.

If someone is caught damaging an aircraft surely they would be met by the police.
Old Feb 7, 2012, 7:16 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
I'm lucky to have never had any serious problems with BA in hundreds of flights apart from a couple AVODs which I'd only raise if I actually intended to watch a movie. I've got a few 5K bungs from random things which have annoyed me which I've complained about.

Last edited by EuropeanPete; Feb 7, 2012 at 11:58 am
Old Feb 7, 2012, 7:27 am

Programs: BA Silver, AF Ivory
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
I've got a few 5K bungs from random things which have annoyed me which I've complainted about.
Are you in football management?

Old Feb 7, 2012, 7:29 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by dnajockey
Are you in football management?

The boy done good.

Complainted, what a wonderfully descriptive word. I really hope it catches on. I'm going to give it 150%.
Old Feb 7, 2012, 7:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
Largest ever was 50K but that was for 2 pax.

Largest compensation I ever got (from KLM) was the complete restitution of the miles for a J class ticket to Curacao. The reason was KLM's complete understanding of my frustration being on board this flight...

Compensation for being tormented by too many infants in J. Now that must be a winner somehow.
Old Feb 7, 2012, 7:43 am

Programs: MUCCI
Originally Posted by mike&co
Very strong descriptive "low life scavengers" No doubt you are referring to a very small minority here but I'm sure the vast majority of claims are justified. Let's face it, if you've paid for a particular product and it isn't delivered or not in the condition its supposed to be then you are entitled to some form of compensation, that's only right, is it not?
Firsrtly, you seem to have chosen to stop your quote imediatly before the words "across the internet". FT has plenty of readers who stumble upon threads while searching. As such I made no comment about the claims of FTers.

Secondly, you say the majority of claims are justified. Please note that I passed no comment on the percentage that are legitimate or otherwise. I simply said I could see no benefit in creating a handy guide for thouse seeking ANY compensation as to what yeilds the most.

Quite apart from the reasons I gave, there are the equally valid reasons BAHumbug gave.

Thirdly, please note I did say that I welcome threads where people are having dificulty with obtaining appropriate compensation and are asking for assistance/guidance.

With regard to your last sentence. It depends entirely upon what you mean by 'compensation'. And it also depends entirely upon how it goes wrong. Make no mistake, I think the handling of compensation/refund issue for the pax mass-downgraded during the recorvery from the disruption last year was appallingly handled, and I have said so here.
I also said at the start, some have recieved insulting offers in other cases.

Howvever even people posting on FT, let alone thouse just reading threads, we have seen people asking about higher levels of compensation purely on the basis that they want as much as posisble - without any reconiliation back to the incident itself, its impact upon them nor even whether (if X was the maximum) it actually satisfies them.

Just to give you a data point, I've overheard people in quees while I've been checking my bags in with BA (multiple times, and also other full service airlines), discussions in the queue that go:
PAX 1: "You could take that as hand baggage."
or "Why have you brought that bag as well?",
or "Why have you brought that old bag?
or "We could get this in one bag..."
with responces along the line:
PAX 2: "We always checkin as many as posisble and/or old bags, just so if they damage/loose them we can get new ones/compensation. Keep everything important in the hand luggage."

Seriously. [Admittedly, only 6 full conversations like that overhead so far, but I don't spend much time checking bags in.]
And I dread to think what will happen with some of these people, probably sabbotage to seats, etc. If they knew how.

Make no mistake, luggage gets damaged, lost and delayed with all airlines and they move millions of pieces of it. BA have thousands of physical seats, despite maintenance plenty do develop faults/issues from time to time which passengers do enocounter before reported/fixed. Somtimes they are overbooked. Sometimes true honest mistakes are made.
So, a higher percentage of complaints do come from genunine incidents I'm sure.
And a high percentage of thouse who have further questions about what resolution they have been offered have such questions because they are unhappy with what they have been offered and do not consider it right.
But there are plenty who, from a reasonable incident, want as much as they can, far above the 'cost' of the incident to them.

And there are some people who have no morrals at all. Doing far worse things than checkin bags in on the off chance of them having an issue.

As such, I simlpy said that I can not see the benefit of a 'cross - topic' (from lounges, to seats, to bags, to downgrades, to meals, to special assistance requests, to handling of previous issues, to loyalty scheme operation, to ...) thread giving totals of copensation paid across all areas when problems have ocurred.

Last edited by David-A; Feb 7, 2012 at 7:54 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.