FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - What's the most Avios you got from BA as compensation and for what?
Old Feb 7, 2012, 7:43 am
David-A

Programs: MUCCI
Originally Posted by mike&co
Very strong descriptive "low life scavengers" No doubt you are referring to a very small minority here but I'm sure the vast majority of claims are justified. Let's face it, if you've paid for a particular product and it isn't delivered or not in the condition its supposed to be then you are entitled to some form of compensation, that's only right, is it not?
Firsrtly, you seem to have chosen to stop your quote imediatly before the words "across the internet". FT has plenty of readers who stumble upon threads while searching. As such I made no comment about the claims of FTers.

Secondly, you say the majority of claims are justified. Please note that I passed no comment on the percentage that are legitimate or otherwise. I simply said I could see no benefit in creating a handy guide for thouse seeking ANY compensation as to what yeilds the most.

Quite apart from the reasons I gave, there are the equally valid reasons BAHumbug gave.

Thirdly, please note I did say that I welcome threads where people are having dificulty with obtaining appropriate compensation and are asking for assistance/guidance.

With regard to your last sentence. It depends entirely upon what you mean by 'compensation'. And it also depends entirely upon how it goes wrong. Make no mistake, I think the handling of compensation/refund issue for the pax mass-downgraded during the recorvery from the disruption last year was appallingly handled, and I have said so here.
I also said at the start, some have recieved insulting offers in other cases.

Howvever even people posting on FT, let alone thouse just reading threads, we have seen people asking about higher levels of compensation purely on the basis that they want as much as posisble - without any reconiliation back to the incident itself, its impact upon them nor even whether (if X was the maximum) it actually satisfies them.

Just to give you a data point, I've overheard people in quees while I've been checking my bags in with BA (multiple times, and also other full service airlines), discussions in the queue that go:
PAX 1: "You could take that as hand baggage."
or "Why have you brought that bag as well?",
or "Why have you brought that old bag?
or "We could get this in one bag..."
with responces along the line:
PAX 2: "We always checkin as many as posisble and/or old bags, just so if they damage/loose them we can get new ones/compensation. Keep everything important in the hand luggage."

Seriously. [Admittedly, only 6 full conversations like that overhead so far, but I don't spend much time checking bags in.]
And I dread to think what will happen with some of these people, probably sabbotage to seats, etc. If they knew how.

Make no mistake, luggage gets damaged, lost and delayed with all airlines and they move millions of pieces of it. BA have thousands of physical seats, despite maintenance plenty do develop faults/issues from time to time which passengers do enocounter before reported/fixed. Somtimes they are overbooked. Sometimes true honest mistakes are made.
So, a higher percentage of complaints do come from genunine incidents I'm sure.
And a high percentage of thouse who have further questions about what resolution they have been offered have such questions because they are unhappy with what they have been offered and do not consider it right.
But there are plenty who, from a reasonable incident, want as much as they can, far above the 'cost' of the incident to them.

And there are some people who have no morrals at all. Doing far worse things than checkin bags in on the off chance of them having an issue.

As such, I simlpy said that I can not see the benefit of a 'cross - topic' (from lounges, to seats, to bags, to downgrades, to meals, to special assistance requests, to handling of previous issues, to loyalty scheme operation, to ...) thread giving totals of copensation paid across all areas when problems have ocurred.

Last edited by David-A; Feb 7, 2012 at 7:54 am