Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

The day that we don't avoid AA like the plague is coming sooner than you think...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The day that we don't avoid AA like the plague is coming sooner than you think...

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2012, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by Traveloguy
Have you ever flown long haul AA J, or are you just going on what 'friends' have said?
Nope I haven't flown on AA in J and I am basing my info on conversations I've had with people both at Do's, travel shows, on this site and material available on the wider internet. For example from the BA board:

Originally Posted by Betteronacamel
Sorry to labour this point, but to/from LAX you're guaranteed the 744 on BA so that's the argument over in favour of BA.

In general terms the BA seat is superior to AA from an access point of view. BA's weakness is the middle pair on the lower deck, but apart from that you're laughing, and on the UD it's no contest. For an 11 hour flight it makes a difference.

I have recently done an AA in J and the window seats are a definite avoid, and it isn't much joy for the aisle pax if Mr Incontinent is in the window seat. Solo travellers need to shoot for aisles on the centre trio and hope for a vacant centre seat.

The whole experience was really summed as as 'Not Nice' I'm afraid, with the exception of the food where, shock horror, AA may have edged it. In all other respects it was
Originally Posted by Prospero
My experience of the AA J seat last week was mixed, flying as a BA strike refugee.

While the seat is perfectly comfortable in the lounge recliner position, it is in my view a pretty awful bed: too narrow and way too much hard plastic intrusion against the arms. My experience was not helped by the defective arm rest that refused to lock down restricting the available width by almost 4 inches. Luckily, as my flight was not full I was able to relocate from 10J to 08J but encountered the same malfunction there. The arm rest in the empty 08H thankfully did collapse and lock combined with lifting the console arm upwards allowed me to sleep intermittently for a few hours.

The Lufty example is notably more comfortable in my experience.
Originally Posted by Swanhunter
Comfy seat but the worst flat on an incline seat I've used. Others include CX, SQ, NH, TG, LH, IB and BD.
Originally Posted by DFB_london
Of the oneworld lie flats, it is probably the worst seat to sleep on.

It is Ok for a day time slump, but too angled to sleep unless you sleep on your tummy - and I tried that and still slip down it!

If you can, check with the client to see if your tix can be chnaged onto BA metal. While BA club seats are flimmsy (AA's are sturdy at least) the flatness of the seat beats AA in my experience

From flatseats.com
Originally Posted by J Forster on Flatseats.com
JFK-CDG, Boeing 767 - mediocre hardware sums it up. I was in a window bulkhead seat in business class and had read that the new "next generation" seats in the window position leave you nearly trapped if your aisle seatmate puts his seat in the reclining position. All too true......
Originally Posted by John Ottman on Flatseats.com
American Airlines has blown it once again. Their new long-haul business class "flat" seats are angled, which is not conducive to sleep
There are loads of these.

Last edited by Jimmie76; Jan 28, 2012 at 3:33 pm
Old Jan 28, 2012, 4:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA GLD, Bonvoy Titan, HH Dia, WoH Exp
It's interesting to read a lot of AA-bashing from those who have never flown on AA J.

I don't think it is realistic to compare a North American airline to an European airline to an Asian airline. It's like comparing apples and oranges to pears. You can compare AA, UA, DL to AC. You can compare BA, AF, LH, to LX. You can compare CX, TG, NH to KE.

North American airlines are similar to one another than they are to their European or Asian counterparts. They are competiting in their own market. UA/CO is refitting a lot of their long-haul planes with complete lie-flat seats, so it makes business sense for AA to jump on the bandwagon. In the European market, you ask how come BA has all lie-flat CW seats and yet LH doesn't have any J lie flat seats. Yet LH still does quite well with their business model. Having a nice hard product is nice, but a lot of people also value the soft product.

I fly mainly AA J and look forward to the new 777-300ER J seats. I will still fly J on other airlines including BA and other OW and *A airlines. Personally I do not think BA's CW is "better" than AA's J product. I think they are just different.
Old Jan 28, 2012, 4:24 pm

Programs: BA Gold(OWE), QF LTG, MR Plat, IHG Spire, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Jimmie76
Nope I haven't flown on AA in J and I am basing my info on conversations I've had with people both at Do's, travel shows, on this site and material available on the wider internet. For example from the BA board
That is where you have gone wrong with just going for comments from the BA board.

Yes, the AA seat is not as good as BA, but I think the service is a much of a muchness, especially when you take into account elements such as F&B into the equation. You also need to consider other carriers flying cross the pond. Many EU carriers don't have flat beds, and many US carriers still have a long way to go before their conversion is complete. It would of course be more authoritative had you actually flown on it yourself.

Finally why does this just need to be yet another BA vs AA thread? It is getting a little boring reading these, but then again, I suspect this is why I so rarely come into this forum now.
Old Jan 28, 2012, 4:37 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Finally why does this just need to be yet another BA vs AA thread? It is getting a little boring reading these, but then again, I suspect this is why I so rarely come into this forum now.
I think genuine comparisons with as much objectivity as possible are very useful, but comparing in a way that has a 'dig' at one airline or the other is not as useful and can be counter-productive by masking the "real" comparison.
Old Jan 28, 2012, 4:58 pm

Programs: Mucci Entry Level, BA Gold, EK Pleb, SK Pleb, QR Pleb
I have been on some AA flights, not long-haul but MIA-LAS in a 737-800 with the "old seat". Big comfy seat that beats anything in BA CE when it comes to the hard and the soft product. And then LAS-JFK, also 737-800 but this time a high tech-seat that could be reclined into a flat seat ^

I had the aisle seat so I'm not sure how easy it would be for the window pax to access the aisle.

I'm curious to try a long-haul with AA but of course I want a flat bed. I also want the privacy I get in a window seat when flying J BA.
Old Jan 28, 2012, 5:35 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by Lobengula
And then LAS-JFK, also 737-800 but this time a high tech-seat that could be reclined into a flat seat ^
AA doesn't have a product like that on their 737-800s.

Tom in the air between ORD and SFO in F on an AA 737-800
Old Jan 28, 2012, 5:39 pm

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
That's in AA domestic F?
This month AA has been offering either chicken or pasta dishes at dinner time on midcons. Photos of those and more in my AA gallery linked below. Those meals have both been very good.
Old Jan 28, 2012, 5:46 pm

Originally Posted by Stripe

In general, the benefit package for the lower tiers on AA is fairly uncompetitive with that of other US carriers. It is far more generous for the top tier, which is arguably the way it should be.
Have you seen the changes at UA? I'm flying today with two 100,000 mile flyers from there moving to AA at SFO. Midtier at UA gets 50% bonus miles while AA midtier is still at 100%. UA upgrade priority list has also had changes. If you can live with the route structure, AA is very attractive to midtier flyers from other U.S. carriers.

Last edited by tom911; Jan 28, 2012 at 5:52 pm Reason: airborne wifi glitch
Old Jan 28, 2012, 6:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat
Originally Posted by Stripe
And even by the standards of the domestic lounges of other US carriers, the AA lounges are singularly lacking in amenities. Only recently did they start offering any sort of free alcohol, you have to pay for almost any type of edible food, you can't take a paper out of the lounge, and the wifi setup is cumbersome. I'm a big AA fan, but my lounge memberships are with DL and CO.
Really? The AA process is cumbersome? I assume you have never been in a Red Carpet Club then. I routinely want to tear my hair out - AA is a dream in comparison.

Your other point is 100% valid though. I used to be a exclusively UA domestic flyer before the merger, and I thought RCCs were pretty terrible.
When first walked into an Admirals Club, my first thought was "you have got to be kidding me." I honestly didn't think it was possible to have a worse lounge than an RCC, but apparently I was quite naive.
And the paid food thing is simply insulting. I mean, really.

Thankfully the Flagships have a really nice selection that makes up for it. Marinated smoked salmon with cream cheese mmm
Old Jan 28, 2012, 6:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
…they're moving from a 7 across wedgie seat, to a 6 across non wedgie seat.
The consensus in the relevant thread in the AA forum is that the J cabins (plural; two cabins) are expected to be 4 across in a 1-2-1 configuration.

The F cabin is expected to be reduced to 8 seats, also in a 1-2-1 configuration (down from 16 seats in the current 772s).

Y is expected to be 10 across in a 3-4-3 configuration, up from the current 9 across 2-5-2 configuration.

Y+ is expected to be 9 across in a 3-3-3 configuration, in a separate cabin from Y, with different seats.

Total expected capacity: 8F, 52J, 30Y+, 220Y

See this thread for details, starting from post #208.

Last edited by ExpatExp; Jan 28, 2012 at 6:34 pm Reason: Added details about Y and Y+ seats.
Old Jan 28, 2012, 6:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
That is where you have gone wrong with just going for comments from the BA board.

Yes, the AA seat is not as good as BA, but I think the service is a much of a muchness, especially when you take into account elements such as F&B into the equation. You also need to consider other carriers flying cross the pond. Many EU carriers don't have flat beds, and many US carriers still have a long way to go before their conversion is complete. It would of course be more authoritative had you actually flown on it yourself.

I'm not having a general go at AA (or comparing it or their seats to BA, I liked the crew the last time I flew coach with them), just pointing out that the current seat has problems that should have been spotted before the thing was signed off by management. Most if not all wedgie seats suffer from the same thing so AA is not unique in this. The new seat looks streets ahead of the current one and it's a big leap for AA which is a big positive, I'm seriously tempted to try these. I only used the examples from BA FT because I was being a bit lazy, I also listed a few from flatseats.com which has three pages that are mostly critical of the seat. But the web is littered with examples.

Originally Posted by William A. Allen III
<snipped>But American Airlines has now joined the ranks of Delta Airlines in providing one of the most uncomfortable and claustrophobic Business Class seat designs and cabin layouts in the recent wretched history of flying. Worse, they are blatantly lying about its supposed virtues.

Even the very experienced Flight Attendants serving on board AA's flagship international flights were direct and highly vocal about how horrible the seats are. I had several FAs apologize to me for the seats' inherent discomfort and then apologize again for their company's claims that AA's Business Class patrons laud the seats and prefer them over the old ones. The Flight Attendants I talked to were embarrassed that American insists the new seats are preferred, saying that they'd heard nothing but negative feedback from experienced passengers like me who'd tried them. <snipped>
Allen On Travel blog

Originally Posted by reviewcentre.com
<snipped>The seat configuration is 2 on each side and 3 in the middle on the Boeing 777 I was on. If you are in a window seat or the muddle seat and the Seats next to you are flat you gave no option but to try and climb over them or be climbed over. Which means you are constantly disturbing people or being disturbed.
The chairs are really uncomfortable when trying to make them into a bed .they do not go flat and are very uncomfortable to sleep on. Your legs are always lower than your body. I only slept for one hour !<snipped>
http://www.reviewcentre.com/reviews5969.html

Originally Posted by FLYGUY767
The design for this new seat leaves a lot to be desired. I think for the most part it is a step above the last AA J seat, yet this seat seems to underwhelm more and more people. From my experience with the new seat. I loathe it, a lot of people that I work with feel the same way.
http://www.airliners.net/aviation-fo...bish#ID3490409

Interestingly there is a user post on Business Traveller that says this is the Cirrus SICMA Aero Seat not the Contour one.
Old Jan 28, 2012, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ExpatExp
The consensus in the relevant thread in the AA forum is that the J cabins (plural; two cabins) are expected to be 4 across in a 1-2-1 configuration.

The F cabin is expected to be reduced to 8 seats, also in a 1-2-1 configuration (down from 16 seats in the current 772s).

Y is expected to be 10 across in a 3-4-3 configuration, up from the current 9 across 2-5-2 configuration.

Y+ is expected to be 9 across in a 3-3-3 configuration, in a separate cabin from Y, with different seats.

Total expected capacity: 8F, 52J, 30Y+, 220Y

See this thread for details, starting from post #208.
Sorry that's what I meant (no idea why I posted 6)and is obvious from the computer renderings you can clearly see 1-2-1 in the images, in my defence it's been a long day.
Old Jan 28, 2012, 6:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
Sorry that's what I meant (no idea why I posted 6)and is obvious from the computer renderings you can clearly see 1-2-1 in the images, in my defence it's been a long day.
Yea well I should probably be doing something else on a Saturday night besides writing summaries of future aircraft seating details
Old Jan 28, 2012, 8:30 pm

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Time traveller
I don't think it is realistic to compare a North American airline to an European airline to an Asian airline. It's like comparing apples and oranges to pears. You can compare AA, UA, DL to AC. You can compare BA, AF, LH, to LX. You can compare CX, TG, NH to KE.
Why not? Airlines are global entities. If I want to fly back to the UK from Sydney for example, I don't have to stick to Australian based airlines, I can fly European, Asian and American (but not AA) airlines.

I feel that the lack of comparison to other world class airlines is the reason why American (not just AA) airlines have fallen behind the competition, but are now at least, trying to catch up.

In my opinion, it's simply an excuse for laziness to not try to compete against non-American airlines. It could be argued that this attitude has been the cause of lack of innovation and complacency in the US market. Time to up their game and compete on a world scale which is likely to see them capturing business from non-American passengers. That can only be good for everyone. ^
Old Jan 28, 2012, 11:37 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by tom911
This month AA has been offering either chicken or pasta dishes at dinner time on midcons. Photos of those and more in my AA gallery linked below. Those meals have both been very good.
That sounds pretty nice. So as I read it, the 'snack mix' type of catering reported are only on super short sectors, and on longer sectors you get proper food?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.