Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

The day that we don't avoid AA like the plague is coming sooner than you think...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The day that we don't avoid AA like the plague is coming sooner than you think...

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2012, 4:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat

It looks like AA is making huge strides forward with their J product on the upcoming 77Ws they are adding to the fleet - a la CX. Take a look:

http://www.aa.com/i18n/utility/boein...ryId=undefined

J Class

F Class

Looks to be pretty nice! And they are deploying on JFK-LHR as one of the first routes.
Color me crazy but I will certainly be trying - at least once.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 4:50 pm

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Looks great, because it's the CX J product.

Shame that CX won't be the only one with such a product, but it does stir things up for sure, especially with BA!

It's good to see a US airline improving their products by such a leap.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 4:58 pm

Programs: BAEC (Gold), Hilton (Gold)
I agree - the hard product looks really nice. ^

Perhaps it'll force BA to up their game with the soft product...

BAH
Old Jan 26, 2012, 5:07 pm

Programs: HiltonH. Gold Starwood Gold BA BLUES! Mucci.
Yes, the hard product really does look good.
I just struggle slightly on all US flights I have taken... whether it is AA, Continental, Jet Blue.....
Because we share a similar language I suppose I think it won't feel foreign, but it does.....
Whereas when I fly Swiss, Emirates, Oman air or similar, I know it's foreign and enjoy it!!!!
Old Jan 26, 2012, 5:11 pm
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
Wow, that looks way better than NGCW. Much closer to BA F.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 5:34 pm

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Looks great. Haven't had the courage to try AA TATL for a long while but I've enjoyed my internal flights with them. Food and service has been very good.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 5:56 pm

Programs: BA Silver | AA LT Gold | EY Silver | Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by AJLondon
Wow, that looks way better than NGCW. Much closer to BA F.
My first thought as well. ^
Old Jan 26, 2012, 5:57 pm

Would it be fair to say that this would be the most private J product in the American market?

I wonder if AA will change their approach to upgrades, and stop giving them away?
Old Jan 26, 2012, 6:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat
Originally Posted by matthandy
Would it be fair to say that this would be the most private J product in the American market?

I wonder if AA will change their approach to upgrades, and stop giving them away?
US has a similar product on paper, but the fit and finish of this is on another level. Plus, US's international coverage isn't really spectacular by any stretch of the imagination. Frankly, it blows UACO and DL out of the water IMHO.

I certainly hope it doesn't lead to the end of eVIP upgrades (as I have just earned 8) - but I am sure it will eventually lead to it being harder to upgrade.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 6:13 pm

F seat lacks privacy - not enough of a "wall" to block you from the aisle - this is not a good design!
Also your head ends up practically in the aisle whilst asleep - guess they did not learn about this the last time around.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 6:15 pm

Programs: BA Silver | AA LT Gold | EY Silver | Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by matthandy
Unlikely, since this is a long haul aircraft, and AA only "gives away" upgrades to top tier elites (EXP) on North American routes. No free upgrades for anybody on international flights, or any non-EXPs on domestics.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 6:22 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
AA is my primary domestic carrier, but I've only flown them in Y on international flights because I didn't see that their premium seats were worth the price in cash or miles. These photos are encouraging. I think AA is paying attention to its alliance partners and understanding they need to improve their product. Last fall, they introduced pajamas in F (sound familiar?) and just recently announced free alcohol for Y passengers on international flights.

I am optimistic that AA will emerge from their bankruptcy proceedings both independent and further prepared to up their game.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 6:51 pm

Originally Posted by Hyperacusis
No free upgrades for anybody on international flights, or any non-EXPs on domestics.
Ahh, thanks for clearing that up. I had a feeling that it was just domestic, but then there have been people on the BA board surprised at BA's policy of not handing out upgrades on international legs, so that's why I was confused.

Originally Posted by lwildernorva
I think AA is paying attention to its alliance partners and understanding they need to improve their product.
Absolutely, it's a great step forward. I wonder if they will improve the ground experience too, lounges etc? Currently, they just don't match up to the lounges offered by many other international carriers.

There have been several trip reports which include the CX New J product and most people liken it to BA First. I think that once introduced, it'll make travelling AA so much more attractive than before. The dreaded codeshare flights will no longer be avoided on BA.com
Old Jan 26, 2012, 7:02 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Great news. I haven't done AA J, so might just give it a try.

It now means that I can get the seat on CX when flying east and AA when flying West. I've not properly flown it before, but I gave it a quick try last month and was really impressed.

The F product looks pretty uninspiring for the next generation.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 7:18 pm

Programs: Just a lowly Blue ;(
I posted about this a couple of months back. the only issue to start with will be the issue of availability, a bit like the new first.scenario. unless they change every jfk plane at once for example. Then I can see a lot of people jumping to the aa product.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.