Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

The day that we don't avoid AA like the plague is coming sooner than you think...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The day that we don't avoid AA like the plague is coming sooner than you think...

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2012, 7:22 am

Programs: MUCCI, BA LTG/GGL/CCR, AF PLAT, ETHIHAD AND LH USELESS PLASTIC
These cabins do look like a serious improvement, but what keeps me a million miles from AA international flights is their absolutely awful cabin crew. I've never traveled AA international J but after a good four trips in their international F I really had to conclude that it was never again for me... I just could not believe how rude they were!

They'll really have to tempt me back with more than just a new cabin!

I should add that my expectations are fairly low with AA domestic F and so I just ignore the rudeness when it happens (not always actually...) and see it as an upgraded bus service from A to B.

I just refuse to pay their international F prices and then accept to be treated so badly!
Old Jan 27, 2012, 8:06 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
I confess to never having flown on any north American airline. I am still not completely sure if I should try it after seeing the hard products looking good.

Are services really as bad as people say they are? Or are they hyperbole? I don't have very high expectations of services or food, but I like a flat bed. Do you think it would be worth my while to try them bearing that in mind?

Last edited by LTN Phobia; Jan 27, 2012 at 11:06 am
Old Jan 27, 2012, 10:01 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC Silver, Scandic 3rd Floor, PC Pleb, FB Off White, Tufty Club
Originally Posted by petemitchell
It's too bad AAs long-haul product (my experience is limited to 767s) is so underwhelming. If they were more than barely tolerable, I'd actually consider flying them. Their marketing points sum it up nicely with jaw-dropping features like "watch your DVD player!", "leather headrest!", and a convenient "sliding tray table!" But the webpage says "superb inflight entertainment" you proclaim! "Ha ha ha ha" I reply.
I particularly like the:
Originally Posted by American Airlines
  • Seatback video on Boeing 777 aircrafts from London
Aircrafts??
Old Jan 27, 2012, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FenLandK
Aircrafts??
Common in Asia - along with the similarly strange sounding fruits.
Old Jan 27, 2012, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
I've read a few adverse comments about AA CC/FA ... are they really that bad?

Sits back with glass of wine and packet of cheese biscuits ...
Old Jan 27, 2012, 10:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat
Domestic F FAs tend to be pretty good.

International tend to be average at best. Marginally better than United.
Old Jan 27, 2012, 10:47 am

Programs: BA Silver
In all of my travels doing J with AA and BA I have to say that the AA crew have always been much better.
Old Jan 27, 2012, 10:57 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, BA Amex PP
Originally Posted by T8191
I've read a few adverse comments about AA CC/FA ... are they really that bad?

Sits back with glass of wine and packet of cheese biscuits ...

You have obviously seen a few in your time here to say that - so apologies if it is repeating old comments.

Being relatively new here, I haven't as yet had my vent about them on the boards until now but I was seriously stressed out/upset/angry/every negative you can think of after 4 flights with them. As a general rule I prefer not to fly on low cost carriers but would happily go for Easyjet/Monarch/Thomas Cook over American Airlines any day

Last edited by nh1980; Jan 27, 2012 at 11:12 am
Old Jan 27, 2012, 2:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
Originally Posted by DWFI
Just took another look and it looks like Y has gone to 3-4-3
Yep, this is concerning for those who might be in Y (though I hope that as OWE I will be able to stay in the new Y+ or above). I wonder how much narrower the new Y seats will be, and how that is going to mesh with the increased weight of air travellers in the US these days.

Originally Posted by BA304
I thought one could use SWUs on international fights, no?
Indeed -- on any route AA flies, subject to certain criteria.

Originally Posted by 747_not_777
Some of my colleagues would dream of that going on the RDU service...! They avoid the direct AA route like the plague - preferring to transit via JFK every time is at all possible.
I actually like the RDU service (but only in J). So much more pleasant to make a connection there, rather than JFK. Connection choices are limited, however.

Originally Posted by HighLife
what keeps me a million miles from AA international flights is their absolutely awful cabin crew after a good four trips in their international F I really had to conclude that it was never again for me... I just could not believe how rude they were!
Sad but often true. It's really the luck of the draw. Although you do find a few stellar CC once in a while, my experience all too often is that they clearly want to be somewhere else and can't wait for the flight to be over.

Originally Posted by stoneman
In all of my travels doing J with AA and BA I have to say that the AA crew have always been much better.
YMMV. My experience has always been the precise opposite!
Old Jan 27, 2012, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by Swanhunter
Having had a play with the CX J seat - pretty much identical to the AA offering - it is not far from Old First in space, comfort etc. It makes Club World look quite a way behind the curve. It is an ENORMOUS step on from AA's current crappy J seat.
I agree, whoever signed off on the current AA J seat needs their head examining. Any idea who makes the new seat, is it Contour again?
Old Jan 27, 2012, 3:01 pm

Programs: M&M SEN, BA Gold
Originally Posted by matthandy
Looks great, because it's the CX J product.

Shame that CX won't be the only one with such a product, but it does stir things up for sure, especially with BA!

It's good to see a US airline improving their products by such a leap.
What a seemingly odd comment Have I missed something?
Old Jan 27, 2012, 3:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Well I don't know if it is, but it looks very much like the Contour Kudos.
Old Jan 27, 2012, 3:05 pm

Programs: BA Gold(OWE), QF LTG, MR Plat, IHG Spire, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by BahrainLad
I know we have been sniffy about AA in the past, but they deserve credit for raising their bar. Frankly, I expected them to just put the current (woeful) J and F products rather than improve them this dramatically.
Come on... I think you are being very unfair on AA, especially as you probably hardly ever step foot on AA metal, especially long haul. In respect to soft product, I would take an AA meal over anything that comes out of BA these days - and that comment probably extends to all cabins including F. BA definitely wins hands down on booze however.

The AA F seat whilst a little frayed around the edges is actually still one of the best F seats in the sky despite its age. The service might be a little rough around the edges, but the cabin itself is still not bad. Of the J lie flat seats out there, it is also pretty competitive. It's no BA or VS, but it's far from bad.

In addition to the above, give me an AA lounge dragon over the rest of OW any day of the week, not to mention a half decent call centre compared to the rest of the alliance. It really would be nice to see a little less American bashing on this forum, especially as it is not really deserved. I'd also love to see less talk of how people think the AA upgrade systems works vs how it actually works.
Old Jan 27, 2012, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by shogan1977
What a seemingly odd comment Have I missed something?
If you don't have a unique seat then people can decide to choose another airline to fly with and you have lost a differentiator between yourselves and your competitor.
Old Jan 27, 2012, 3:14 pm

Programs: M&M SEN, BA Gold
Originally Posted by Jimmie76
If you don't have a unique seat then people can decide to choose another airline to fly with and you have lost a differentiator between yourselves and your competitor.
How is that a shame for paying customers?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.