Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Current Silver member, worth stretching for Gold?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Current Silver member, worth stretching for Gold?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2012, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Contentedly Silver, and will remain so

Personally, I have no need to push for Gold - I'm a relatively infrequent leisure pax. Silver does it for us, and we're very happy staying there. Gold does nothing for us in a practical sense.

If I spent my working life drilling holes in the sky, and being frequently exposed to the risk of Irrops, I might take a different view.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 10:55 am
Suspended
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by BAAZ
GGLs, who in turn feel inferior to the Platinums
The who ?
Old Jan 24, 2012, 10:55 am

Programs: BA GfL, GGL/CCR
like other posters the soft landing is a key benefit. We are purposely becoming Gold in a few months as we have so many avios and a few 241 vouchers to use the following year, that we would drop out of Silver to Bronze or Blue if we didn’t go for Gold.

So in this way we will be back at Silver when we start paying for flights again and the hopefully history will repeat itself and we become Gold again and then spend avios etc etc.

The use of the F lounge and also the waiver of fees for redemption changes especially now the fees have increased.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by andset1191
The who ?
Didn't they have a come-back concert recently? Or was that Michael Jackson? I don't follow the subject closely.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 11:08 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by T8191
Didn't they have a come-back concert recently? Or was that Michael Jackson? I don't follow the subject closely.
That's something I'd pay to see. Shamone.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 11:43 am

Originally Posted by angatol
It's not necessarily a bad place for shorthaul reward saver redemptions. 15k avios + 27 euro return from rome to edinburgh via london. And no seats were available to non-gold. Can also book for anyone else in your HHA.
Good point. I always forget Europe, ... now it has gone bust and been asset stripped.
Old Jan 28, 2012, 9:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver
Thanks everyone

Hey everyone, sorry for not responding sooner, been swamped since I last posted. I think I may try and shoot for it, I have a few business trips coming up and can try to schedule them all for before the end of my membership year.

Out of curiousity, what are some good TP runs? Anything that works out at around £2.50 per point or less would be cheaper than what I can currently get through work.

Cheers.

SS
Old Jan 28, 2012, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by ScorchedSoul
Out of curiousity, what are some good TP runs?
There's a whole thread of ideas here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...per-point.html

I'd recommend starting near the end, though - it's the more up-to-date end of the thread.
Old Jan 28, 2012, 9:33 am

Programs: MUCCI, BA LTG/GGL/CCR, AF PLAT, ETHIHAD AND LH USELESS PLASTIC
Originally Posted by ScorchedSoul
I think I may try and shoot for it,
I would if I were you and not too far away from it... don't cause yourself any financial hardship however. It isn't worth that!

I haven't been silver since 2004 and would only accept to go back if it meant payback was that I could avoid flying as much as I have to now.

Try gold for a year and see, is what I'd say.

I've been the grateful recipient of GGL level with the jokers as well as GUF2s before that, but I'm happiest with normal gold level as the former came as a result of a couple years of paid F travel and 5000 TPs plus per year which was not sustainable in this economic climate in my industry.

I find service is generally better as a gold and I have a good deal of confidence in BA in case of IRROPS. As a GCH I find BA staff sometimes treat me as if I were a Premier cardholder - especially at certain outstations.

Removal of 'open doors' was an unwelcome slap in the face, but I can live without as a Priority Pass cardholder ^

Otherwise it is lounges. I find GF significantly better than the GCs at T5 thanks to the space, table service and some often superb wines. I appreciate the Flagship lounges on the AA network and I find F lounges where available (BKK, SYD, JFK, LAX etc) to be quieter and more pleasant.

HL
Old Jan 28, 2012, 12:54 pm

Programs: VS Silver, BA Blue - finally; but hotels.com Gold :)
I'd forgot about the AA Flagship lounge access, for Golds. That's a nice little bonus.
I'm going through the same process; and will shoot for Gold. The arrivals lounge access after L/H WT helped swing it for me (some WT work trips poss in next 15 months ... not leisure!). Exit row seat choice will become a relevant benefit under the same theme.
Old Jan 28, 2012, 5:35 pm

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; VS Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by HighLife
I would if I were you and not too far away from it... don't cause yourself any financial hardship however. It isn't worth that!

I haven't been silver since 2004 and would only accept to go back if it meant payback was that I could avoid flying as much as I have to now.

Try gold for a year and see, is what I'd say.

I've been the grateful recipient of GGL level with the jokers as well as GUF2s before that, but I'm happiest with normal gold level as the former came as a result of a couple years of paid F travel and 5000 TPs plus per year which was not sustainable in this economic climate in my industry.

I find service is generally better as a gold and I have a good deal of confidence in BA in case of IRROPS. As a GCH I find BA staff sometimes treat me as if I were a Premier cardholder - especially at certain outstations.

Removal of 'open doors' was an unwelcome slap in the face, but I can live without as a Priority Pass cardholder ^

Otherwise it is lounges. I find GF significantly better than the GCs at T5 thanks to the space, table service and some often superb wines. I appreciate the Flagship lounges on the AA network and I find F lounges where available (BKK, SYD, JFK, LAX etc) to be quieter and more pleasant.

HL
Agree it's worth stretching to Gold for access to GF at T5 and AA Flagship Lounges at JFK and LAX (sadly no longer MIA), priority for involuntary UG (when, improbably, flying WT+) and prompt recognition during IRROPS; but only if already past 1000 TP and prepared/needing to spend approx. £3,500 on (eg) 3 CE in I x £500 + 1 CW in J x £2,000 to earn the 500 TP required.
Old Jan 28, 2012, 5:50 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by vscxfan
Agree it's worth stretching to Gold for access to GF at T5 and AA Flagship Lounges at JFK and LAX (sadly no longer MIA), priority for involuntary UG (when, improbably, flying WT+) and prompt recognition during IRROPS; but only if already past 1000 TP and prepared/needing to spend approx. £3,500 on (eg) 3 CE in I x £500 + 1 CW in J x £2,000 to earn the 500 TP required.
500 TPs can be had far more cheaply than £3,500 even if UK based - that's £7 per TP. Ex-UK around £3 per TP is easy and more creative TP runs can drive that down still further.

Last edited by timezonehopper; Jan 28, 2012 at 6:29 pm
Old Jan 29, 2012, 7:37 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; VS Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by timezonehopper
500 TPs can be had far more cheaply than £3,500 even if UK based - that's £7 per TP. Ex-UK around £3 per TP is easy and more creative TP runs can drive that down still further.
Certainly - but my example is based on (3 CE + 1 CW) trips I would have made anyway, so arguably the marginal cost of the required 500 TP is 0!

However, when planned CE trips didn't materialise but CW (LHR-MIA/JFK-LHR)did, AA in F (KUP) MIA-LAS-LAX-LAS-JFK + BA in Y (V) LHR-NCL-LHR earned me 500 TP (180+60+60+180+10+10) and retained Gold for £1,100.
Old Jan 29, 2012, 8:07 am

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Gold is nice to have but not worth doing a run for I don't think. T5 F lounge is very nice, flagship lounges are variable IMHO, some of the F lounges are worth having (thinking LAX where J lounge gets really busy). Plus you get the occasional OpUp and soft benefits where it all goes Pete Tong.

My summary would be nice to have but not worth spending cash just to achieve. Now if BA could add some differentiation back........

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.