Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Current Silver member, worth stretching for Gold?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2012, 6:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver

Hi All,

Long time lurker and flyer here. Quick question - currently silver member but can reach Gold with a little effort and was wondering what exactly are the benefits?

From the BA website, the biggest benefit besides extra tp/miles is access to the First lounge - what's the difference between the two? Does gold open up more seating options, I've noticed that I can't select all seats when checking in, but the reason doesnt appear to be because the seat is already booked as many times seats I have wanted to select have been empty when on board (first row is common, as is exit seat).

Does the service differ when you are Gold, I do find that even as a silver member, I tend to feel like there are always one or two people more "senior" than me on board and the feeling isn't always nice, it's especially noticable on CE, when there may only be a few of you.

Thanks!

SS
Old Jan 23, 2012, 6:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC: Silver - Marriott: Titanium
Welcome to the BA Board!

Also, on top of any difference that may be in service, remember the soft landing for the following year. So, it takes the pressure off having to re-qualify for another year if you think that your travel may be limited. This is what is happening to me now, 2010, I pushed to get Gold because I knew I wold not re-qualify and it has meant that I have status for a further 2 years after the year of qualifying and I don't have to worry.
Old Jan 23, 2012, 6:42 pm

Welcome to FT!

Gold does open up extra seating opportunities, I believe Exit rows in WT/WT+ and seats 1A and 1K in F. Those seats should all be released at OLCI though (typically they become free in the seatmap at T-72hrs IIRC).

Originally Posted by BingBongBoy
So, it takes the pressure off having to re-qualify for another year if you think that your travel may be limited. This is what is happening to me now, 2010, I pushed to get Gold because I knew I wold not re-qualify and it has meant that I have status for a further 2 years after the year of qualifying and I don't have to worry.
I can certainly echo the soft-landing argument. Unfortunately it doesn't apply to me as gold is not within reach, but given the opportunity I would go for it.

BBB your status still says Gold though? Have you managed to maintain it nevertheless?
Old Jan 23, 2012, 6:49 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TG Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat
It is more the unpublished benefits. Access to the UK gold phoneline has prove invaluable to me on the odd couple of times when I have had to throw myself at BA's mercy. It's speaking to someone senior, helpful and experienced.
Old Jan 23, 2012, 7:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Similar thread, among many http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...y-1k-gold.html
Old Jan 24, 2012, 4:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC: Silver - Marriott: Titanium
Originally Posted by evanderm
BBB your status still says Gold though? Have you managed to maintain it nevertheless?
My year ended in December, but I will downgrade at the end of January... So, I am holding on to it as long as I can...

My Silver pack arrived last week, so I will change it on the 1st of Feb.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 4:22 am

Programs: BAEC (Gold), Hilton (Gold)
I agree with other posters here.

Gold is really only worth it if you anticipate needing the 'soft landing' to Silver next year (ie your flying patterns are going to go down) or if you fly a lot and need the (potential) extra assistance during IRROPs.

For most people I think Silver is good enough - I think Gold is now more a stepping stone to GGL which is where the real goodies lie.

BAH
Old Jan 24, 2012, 4:26 am

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
Welcome to FT participation, ScorchedSoul!

The above posts highlight the benefits of Gold membership. If you earn in excess of 2,500 tps you get a Gold Upgrade for 2, and again at 3,500 tps. Gold Guest List membership for the very frequent travellers.

By the way, Gold card holders do not get extra TPs and the bonus Avios rate is the same as for Silver card holders.

I like the Gold Executive telephone line, which I use occasionally and the use of the First lounge, which I use regularly.

If it is not too difficult or expensive for you to achieve Gold, why not do it and decide for yourself over the next 12 months?

Last edited by TravellerFrequently; Jan 24, 2012 at 5:14 am Reason: Welcome!
Old Jan 24, 2012, 4:36 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, BA Amex PP
Having just got to Silver , I am enjoying the novelty of benefits like lounge access, seat selection etc. for the first time so for me it is good enough. Gold would be great of course to get into the F lounge, access to the spa and Arrivals on long haul, the extra seat availability and the many "soft" benefits but having to fund most of my travel myself it is not something I would go out of my way to pay the extra for.

If we had the "TP runs" that are often mentioned here where you can basically jump tiers for less than £1k for 2 days of flying across the US and back then I might be tempted but being in London it doesn't seem as achievable.

If I was with a company that jetted me around longhaul business class then yes I would definitely aspire to achieve it but with my air travel largely being for leisure purposes, Silver will do. I've never discernibly felt "junior" or treated differently to other passengers in premium cabins well apart from being younger and my hair still its original colour!
Old Jan 24, 2012, 4:49 am
Suspended

Programs: Good Riddance FT!
Originally Posted by KenJohn
It is more the unpublished benefits. Access to the UK gold phoneline has prove invaluable to me on the odd couple of times when I have had to throw myself at BA's mercy. It's speaking to someone senior, helpful and experienced.
Absolutely. The published benefits of Gold really don't seem much beyond silver. I recently received exceptional service upon flashing my gold card which went far above and beyond what is required according to the T&Cs.

Also, I have to say... one cannot overstate the impact of flying with a potential business partner and have the CSD come over once we're seated and say, "Hello Mr BizFlyin, so nice to see you aboard again. If there's anything I can do to personally make your flight easier, please let me know."

The look on the other persons face (who haden't been on BA before) was priceless.

Thanks BA for making me seem way, way more important than I actually am!
Old Jan 24, 2012, 4:52 am

Programs: Lord OPebble - Mucci of the Hour. Diamond Class MUCCI.Chevalier du Circle Intime de Pucci
Originally Posted by KenJohn
I agree it is the unpublished benefits that matter. I cannot count the number of times that I have been at an out-station and things are going pear shaped and I have been told "As you are a gold...." and I get an extra benefit/special handling.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 5:07 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Gold Ambassador
Originally Posted by OPebble
I agree it is the unpublished benefits that matter. I cannot count the number of times that I have been at an out-station and things are going pear shaped and I have been told "As you are a gold...." and I get an extra benefit/special handling.

"Special Handling" hey? That certainly sounds like an unpublished perk!

I look forward to learning more given that I managed to strike gold earlier this month!!^

GD
Old Jan 24, 2012, 5:23 am

Originally Posted by nh1980
... the extra seat availability
If it is reward seat availability you mean, this is only at the back of the bus. And of course the back of the bus is not the best place to really spend your avios.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 7:06 am

Last edited by angatol; Feb 28, 2015 at 2:56 pm
Old Jan 24, 2012, 9:58 am

Programs: Mucci Grandee (Upgraded), BA Silver, AZ MilleMiglia
Originally Posted by ScorchedSoul
Does the service differ when you are Gold, I do find that even as a silver member, I tend to feel like there are always one or two people more "senior" than me on board and the feeling isn't always nice, it's especially noticable on CE, when there may only be a few of you.

Thanks!

SS
Gold is great if your home airport is LHR as you can quickly get used to Galleries First and have some reasonable food and very good wine before boarding an ET flight.

There are always those more senior than you - once you're Gold you'll feel inferior to the GGLs, who in turn feel inferior to the Platinums; you can't win...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.