FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Current Silver member, worth stretching for Gold?
Old Jan 28, 2012, 5:35 pm
vscxfan

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; VS Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by HighLife
I would if I were you and not too far away from it... don't cause yourself any financial hardship however. It isn't worth that!

I haven't been silver since 2004 and would only accept to go back if it meant payback was that I could avoid flying as much as I have to now.

Try gold for a year and see, is what I'd say.

I've been the grateful recipient of GGL level with the jokers as well as GUF2s before that, but I'm happiest with normal gold level as the former came as a result of a couple years of paid F travel and 5000 TPs plus per year which was not sustainable in this economic climate in my industry.

I find service is generally better as a gold and I have a good deal of confidence in BA in case of IRROPS. As a GCH I find BA staff sometimes treat me as if I were a Premier cardholder - especially at certain outstations.

Removal of 'open doors' was an unwelcome slap in the face, but I can live without as a Priority Pass cardholder ^

Otherwise it is lounges. I find GF significantly better than the GCs at T5 thanks to the space, table service and some often superb wines. I appreciate the Flagship lounges on the AA network and I find F lounges where available (BKK, SYD, JFK, LAX etc) to be quieter and more pleasant.

HL
Agree it's worth stretching to Gold for access to GF at T5 and AA Flagship Lounges at JFK and LAX (sadly no longer MIA), priority for involuntary UG (when, improbably, flying WT+) and prompt recognition during IRROPS; but only if already past 1000 TP and prepared/needing to spend approx. £3,500 on (eg) 3 CE in I x £500 + 1 CW in J x £2,000 to earn the 500 TP required.