Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Remembrance

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2011, 6:10 am

Programs: MUCCI, BA LTG/GGL/CCR, AF PLAT, ETHIHAD AND LH USELESS PLASTIC
Was second pax off the 182 today at about 10:55... was surprised by the Reveille over the tannoy at flight connections... (almost) everyone ground to a halt.
Old Nov 11, 2011, 6:22 am

Programs: QF P1 + LTG VA Plat, AA nothing, HH Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
Remembrance day In Australia

There was a ceremony today in Canberra. But for the vast majority of Aussies Anzac day on 25th April is the national day for honouring our servicemen both past and present (It's also a day for drunken debauchery and gambling but that's another story).
I am pleased that a minutes silence was observed at LHR today.
Old Nov 11, 2011, 6:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I don't ever remember stopping work to observe a 2 minute silence.
Old Nov 11, 2011, 6:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by BA or bust
It is not just the British who observe and it is not just about British troops
Well, shame on the BBC News for failing to notice that it's observed in both France and Belgium as a public holiday, no less!!!
Old Nov 11, 2011, 6:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HIDDY
I don't ever remember stopping work to observe a 2 minute silence.
It has become a much bigger deal in the last few years.
Old Nov 11, 2011, 7:19 am

Originally Posted by Swanhunter
It has become a much bigger deal in the last few years.
Mmmm....thought as much.
Old Nov 11, 2011, 7:35 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, MUCCI, Junior Jet Club.
Originally Posted by Jenbel

Or would it come across as badly as the US airlines' rah-rah-rah about their troops (if you are unsure of what I speak then spend more time in Travelbuzz, but basically their CC can put out PA's if they have troops on board, acknowledging their presence and thanking them for their service - that kind of thing frankly just makes me cringe as someone non-American having to listen to someone saying on my behalf thank you to a group of soldiers from another country to whom I feel little/no gratitude).
Their country, their rules. Independent of the sacrifice Americans have made for the freedom Europeans currently enjoy, I find this pretty distasteful. If an American started shouting "I feel little/no gratitude to the fallen" during a 2 minute silence in London I would punch them in the throat.
Old Nov 11, 2011, 7:53 am

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
Originally Posted by BahrainLad
Their country, their rules. Independent of the sacrifice Americans have made for the freedom Europeans currently enjoy, I find this pretty distasteful. If an American started shouting "I feel little/no gratitude to the fallen" during a 2 minute silence in London I would punch them in the throat.
I could respond, pick out the petty way you've mischaracterised what I've said to turn it into something I neither said, nor believe, hotly dispute your allegations etc etc etc

But in a thread about remembrance, in which up until now the debate has been respectful and dignified, on today's date, I really don't think it's appropriate. I'll just remark that your attempt to make me say something I did not - and on this subject - is also pretty distasteful - even down to the threat of violence, on a day when we should be remembering those who were involved in violent endeavours on our behalf.
Old Nov 11, 2011, 8:15 am

Originally Posted by Jenbel
I could respond, pick out the petty way you've mischaracterised what I've said to turn it into something I neither said, nor believe,
Hang on, you clearly said

that kind of thing frankly just makes me cringe as someone non-American having to listen to someone saying on my behalf thank you to a group of soldiers from another country to whom I feel little/no gratitude
which to me means that when you're on American soil you find Americans thanking other Americans for their sacrifice as "cringeworthy" as you feel "little/no gratitude" towards them. Hardly becoming of a guest in their country, is it?

Honestly, I think it's one of the worst things about society today that patriotism is automatically characterised as jingoism.
Old Nov 11, 2011, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Chris C
The two minutes silence isn't observed in Norway so I find a quiet spot and have my own. But I'm never sure what time to do it, 11 o'clock local time or 11 o'clock GMT?
I observed it at 11am GMT, or 2pm here in DOH.
Old Nov 11, 2011, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
How about just simply remembering the fallen?

And the wounded, the maimed in mind and body? And the widows and the children?

I'm not going to go into an argument, but can people please just show some respect?

If the Americans want to do it on Memorial Day, or whoever ... all that matters is that we ALL show a bit of respect for the millions who have died. I even try to remember the conscripts who fought on the other side ... they didn't have a choice. Thank God we have a choice these days.
Old Nov 11, 2011, 9:10 am

Originally Posted by T8191

If the Americans want to do it on Memorial Day, or whoever ... all that matters is that we ALL show a bit of respect for the millions who have died.
Absolutely right. ^
Old Nov 11, 2011, 9:16 am

Programs: Mucci, BA, Hilton.
Originally Posted by HIDDY
Mmmm....thought as much.

The first and only time I have encountered it was just after 7/7 attacks in a supermarket I worked at in Belfast.

Have not had a two minute silence since.

I think it is good to show a moments respect.
Old Nov 11, 2011, 9:20 am
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Bit sad this some in this thread (the topic of which is to remember those who are now deceased) has in just two pages already attracted a mud-slinging debate between two posters. Am a bit shocked TBH
Old Nov 11, 2011, 9:29 am

Originally Posted by MickV

I think it is good to show a moments respect.
Yes I have always regarded remembrance Sunday as the time when the nation got together to pay their respects to those who served. I always watched the proceedings on television and felt very moved by it all.
I was just wondering when this new two minutes silence crept in.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.