Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Remembrance

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2011, 9:38 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Exec Plat, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Ritz Rewards
I will be observing the 2 min silence at 11am PT. I trust others on the West coast will do the same.
Old Nov 11, 2011, 9:58 am

Originally Posted by HIDDY
I was just wondering when this new two minutes silence crept in.
We always had a period of silence when I was a small child, which is over 40 years ago now. But that may be particular to my family - my grandmother was left as a sole child during the Great War when her brothers were all killed, 4 of the lads all in all. In the cubs and scouts we observed the silence on the Sunday after the 11th, but at school we stopped lessons on the 11th and had another silence in Chapel in Sunday. I understood the Sunday silence started during WWII where the government did not want munitions production halted on Rememberance day should it be a weekday.

So I think it has been observed in one form or another for many years now - I would guess at not long after WWI.
Old Nov 11, 2011, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remembrance_Day
The First Two Minute Silence in London (11 November 1919) was reported in the Manchester Guardian on 12 November 1919:
"The first stroke of eleven produced a magical effect. The tram cars glided into stillness, motors ceased to cough and fume, and stopped dead, and the mighty-limbed dray horses hunched back upon their loads and stopped also, seeming to do it of their own volition. Someone took off his hat, and with a nervous hesitancy the rest of the men bowed their heads also. Here and there an old soldier could be detected slipping unconsciously into the posture of 'attention'. An elderly woman, not far away, wiped her eyes, and the man beside her looked white and stern. Everyone stood very still ... The hush deepened. It had spread over the whole city and become so pronounced as to impress one with a sense of audibility. It was a silence which was almost pain ... And the spirit of memory brooded over it all."

It's that time of year when I would encourage everyone to read all that Wiki piece, regardless of Military or Civilian background.
"Lest we Forget"

Last edited by T8191; Nov 11, 2011 at 10:26 am
Old Nov 11, 2011, 10:12 am

Great report T181! Describing the coughing of the cars was very reminiscent of Owen.

Perhaps you could link to the wiki piece you mean?
Old Nov 11, 2011, 10:25 am
In Memoriam

Programs: Mucci
Originally Posted by Princess fiona
There was a ceremony today in Canberra. But for the vast majority of Aussies Anzac day on 25th April is the national day for honouring our servicemen both past and present (It's also a day for drunken debauchery and gambling but that's another story).
I am pleased that a minutes silence was observed at LHR today.
Correct, as a member of the Friends of the Australian War Memorial, I am issued with invitations to both the Anzac Day and Remembrance Day ceremonies at the AWM, and I can vouch for the fact that Anzac Day is far more signifigant for Australians and New Zealanders than Remembrance Day.

Having said that though, Remembrance Day is still honoured and cherished, with ceremonies around the country, but not to the same extent that Anzac Day is.

Dave
Old Nov 11, 2011, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ColdWalker
Great report T181! Describing the coughing of the cars was very reminiscent of Owen.

Perhaps you could link to the wiki piece you mean?
oopps ... fumble fingers ...

Read This Please ...
Old Nov 11, 2011, 10:45 am

I don't think it would be appropriate for BA to observe the 2 minute silence in non-UK lounges. It smacks a little bit of jingoism - if I wasn't British, then I'm not sure I would care about the sacrifices of British troops. Might be ok to do it in countries with a similar tradition - but outside of that, I'd suggest it's not entirely appropriate.
Sorry, Jenbel. I often agree with you, but I cannot agree on this issue because I don't think you understand the whole idea of "Rememberance Day", as indeed many who wear their poppies with pride don't either.

It's not a question of National Pride or "jingoism" at all, and even hard-nosed pacifists and "Muslims against Crusades" should support Rememberance Day.

"The guns fell silent at the eleventh hour of the eleventh day or the eleventh month, which marked the end of the First World War!"

The whole concept of "Rememberance Day" is to fall silent and remember all of the fallen, from all nationalities (friend and foe alike) who gave their lives in the service of their countries and to say "Never Again!" The service of Rememberance is to remind ourselves to live peacefully, wherever possible, and not to tragically throw away so many young lives!

For that reason, the Two Minutes silence, followed by the "Last Post", should be encouraged to be observed in every nation throughout the world. It just so happens that the money from the British "Haig Fund Poppy Appeal" goes to support injured British servicemen, but each nation has its own charitable fund to look after their own injured servicemen. Let's face it, no Government or Head of State in the world would ever do the decent thing and look after the boys and girls who served by themselves without the donations of public spirited citizens!

If ever you drive through Belgium or Northern France and you come across a First World War cemetery, may I suggest anyone (who hasn't done so) stops the car and gets out in the fresh air and has a good, long look. The rows upon rows of little white crosses can really move the hardest of men to tears, especially when you read the dates and realise these men were nearly all aged between 16 and 20 - many had never tasted a pint of beer or had a proper girl friend - English, Belgian, French, Dutch, German - they were all killed in squalour and misery at a time that they should have been drinking, dancing and fooling around at home!

"When You Go Home, tell them about us and say, "For your tomorrow, we gave our today!! (inscription at a War Graves Commission cemetery.)

Never, never again!

Last edited by bealine; Nov 11, 2011 at 10:56 am
Old Nov 11, 2011, 10:49 am

Originally Posted by T8191
oopps ... fumble fingers ...
Thx.^

So that's why some of my US buddies remember today too.
Old Nov 11, 2011, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ColdWalker
Thx.^

So that's why some of my US buddies remember today too.
And one of the Bears wears a US "Buddy Poppy"
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

It's the same tragedy, wherever you live and however you choose to remember it.
Old Nov 11, 2011, 10:58 am

Programs: BA BLUE, HH, AC/UA
Originally Posted by Jenbel
Or would it come across as badly as the US airlines' rah-rah-rah about their troops (if you are unsure of what I speak then spend more time in Travelbuzz, but basically their CC can put out PA's if they have troops on board, acknowledging their presence and thanking them for their service - that kind of thing frankly just makes me cringe as someone non-American having to listen to someone saying on my behalf thank you to a group of soldiers from another country to whom I feel little/no gratitude).
Well, my respect for you has diminished. I don't think any one on a US carrier ever says, "on behalf of Jenbel we'd like to thank the troops."

If you don't agree, at least have the minimum of respect to understand that others do have gratitude. Your comment above over inflates your sense of self-importance.
Old Nov 11, 2011, 11:01 am

Originally Posted by T8191
And one of the Bears wears a US "Buddy Poppy"
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

It's the same tragedy, wherever you live and however you choose to remember it.
Ooooo another facebook friend Never had a bear as a chum before!
Old Nov 11, 2011, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
This thread is about Rememberance. Take your petty little arguments and nit-picking elsewhere. They are really inappropriate today of all days, if you want to persist with it then do it via PM. Regardless of the rights and wrongs and he said/she said, there is a time and a place for everything - and this is not it. You know who you are.
Old Nov 11, 2011, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Silver Fox
This thread is about Rememberance. Take your petty little arguments and nit-picking elsewhere. They are really inappropriate today of all days, if you want to persist with it then do it via PM. Regardless of the rights and wrongs and he said/she said, there is a time and a place for everything - and this is not it. You know who you are.
^ Well said.
Old Nov 11, 2011, 11:31 am
Ambassador: LATAM

Programs: BAEC Silver
Armistice day marked here at 11am Colombia time in this little British enclave in Bogot.

A question though, is it not normally marked on the Sunday? i.e. Remembrance Sunday.

Does anyone happen to know if British embassies do anything to mark the occasion on the Sunday?
Old Nov 11, 2011, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by JohnnyColombia
A question though, is it not normally marked on the Sunday? i.e. Remembrance Sunday.

Does anyone happen to know if British embassies do anything to mark the occasion on the Sunday?
Armistice Day and Remembrance Sunday are two separate days. Armistice Day is always 11th November (the end of WWI), and Remembrance Sunday is the first Sunday after Armistice Day.

In the UK, a two minute silence is observed on both Armistice Day and Remembrance Sunday. The same at British embassies around the world.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.