Wiki Posts
Search

Remembrance

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2011, 2:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA: Silver,
Remembrance

l wonder if a 2 minutes silence will be observed in the BA lounges around the World. I am in FCO lounge with 10minutes to go before 11 o'clock...
Old Nov 11, 2011, 2:57 am
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Hope so, hadn't realised until just now it is 11/11/11 today as well. With our service folks having been involved in so many conflicts over the past 10 years the Remembrance Day ritual seems so much more appropriate than it did when I was younger
Old Nov 11, 2011, 3:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Thank you for posting that thought.

"... At the going down of the sun, and in the morning,
we will remember them."
Old Nov 11, 2011, 3:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My Doctors arent today, which I find odd.

But I am certain that public areas will be having a minute silence for today.

Do remember that you can still take part in your own way.
Old Nov 11, 2011, 3:18 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze
The two minutes silence isn't observed in Norway so I find a quiet spot and have my own. But I'm never sure what time to do it, 11 o'clock local time or 11 o'clock GMT?
Old Nov 11, 2011, 3:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by Chris C
The two minutes silence isn't observed in Norway so I find a quiet spot and have my own. But I'm never sure what time to do it, 11 o'clock local time or 11 o'clock GMT?
They have already held the silence at Camp Bastion, so I suggest there's nothing wrong with using local time.
Old Nov 11, 2011, 3:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA: Silver,
Originally Posted by origin

Do remember that you can still take part in your own way.
Yup. observed it on my own in a noisy FCO lounge. (local time)
Old Nov 11, 2011, 3:47 am

Originally Posted by Chris C
I think that just taking two minutes to quietly think about the sacrifices our servicemen and women have made in the many wars and conflicts, and to thank them, is all that is required. The 11th hour is an important symbol but it matters not which 11th hour it is.
Old Nov 11, 2011, 4:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
I don't think it would be appropriate for BA to observe the 2 minute silence in non-UK lounges. It smacks a little bit of jingoism - if I wasn't British, then I'm not sure I would care about the sacrifices of British troops. Might be ok to do it in countries with a similar tradition - but outside of that, I'd suggest it's not entirely appropriate.
Old Nov 11, 2011, 4:08 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, MUCCI, Junior Jet Club.
Has just been announced on the tannoy at my office. Very well observed. ^
Old Nov 11, 2011, 4:24 am

Programs: Mucci. And BA Gold previous awards - Gold 11, Silver 7, Bronze 4.
Originally Posted by Jenbel
I don't think it would be appropriate for BA to observe the 2 minute silence in non-UK lounges. It smacks a little bit of jingoism - if I wasn't British, then I'm not sure I would care about the sacrifices of British troops. Might be ok to do it in countries with a similar tradition - but outside of that, I'd suggest it's not entirely appropriate.
It is not just the British who observe and it is not just about British troops, but a mark of respect for all sides involved in conflicts. It is observed in many countries (albeit mainly but not exclusively by the British community).

According to the BBC News:
UK
Canada
Australia
New Zealand
South Africa
In total, 120 countries outside the UK are sent 3m poppies by Royal British Legion, mostly expats
They include Spain, France, Germany, Sri Lanka, Hong Kong, Cyprus and Argentina
Old Nov 11, 2011, 4:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
Yes, and that's why I recognised that it might be ok in countries with a similar tradition - I read the same BBC news article about poppies earlier this week. But for those who have no idea about the tradition, would they realise it isn't just about British troops? I'm not sure they would. I think in countries where we have been involved in recent conflicts it would be particularly inappropriate.

Or would it come across as badly as the US airlines' rah-rah-rah about their troops (if you are unsure of what I speak then spend more time in Travelbuzz, but basically their CC can put out PA's if they have troops on board, acknowledging their presence and thanking them for their service - that kind of thing frankly just makes me cringe as someone non-American having to listen to someone saying on my behalf thank you to a group of soldiers from another country to whom I feel little/no gratitude).

So by all means, observe with gratitude in the UK. But understand BA is an international airline, not all pax who use it are British and adapt what is used from our culture accordingly and with sensitivity.
Old Nov 11, 2011, 4:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Delices Exotiques,Order of the Platinum Hairbrush,Her Royal Diamond
Here in Paris govt employees have the day off (of course ) and they have commemorations all over. The busses have the flags.

It isn't only the UK.
Old Nov 11, 2011, 5:18 am

Some of my US friends also remember today. But, rightly or wrongly, some countries do perceive it as jingoistic and celebratory of our military prowess. As Jenbel says, this should be recognised by an international organisation.
Old Nov 11, 2011, 5:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
The silence was observed across LHR today, in the terminals and on the ground, including no departures, arrivals or aircraft engine starts.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.