Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Future fleet order....... Assuming IAG buy BMI

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2011, 10:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)

So, thought i would start a new thread as this doesnt directly relate to the speculation about IAG buying BMI...........

But if and when they do, IAG are going to need to expand the Longhaul fleet fairly quickly,

Any suggestions or speculations about that ?

Obviously BA have so far held back on a fleet order for Gatters, lets throw it all into the mix, late 2011 / early 2012 fleet order speculation, who from and which base for ?

cs
Old Nov 6, 2011, 10:17 am

Programs: Tufty Club (Gold), BAGA Gymnastics level 4, 440yds swimming certificate
Why would buying BMI mean they have to expand their long haul fleet quickly over and above the 777, 787 and A380 orders they have already?
Old Nov 6, 2011, 10:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)
Originally Posted by A P Yu
Why would buying BMI mean they have to expand their long haul fleet quickly over and above the 777, 787 and A380 orders they have already?
well, currently

the 787's on order are supposed to be like for like swaps for the oldest 767's

only 2 more 777-300 on order

the A380 orders are supposed to be a 1 for 1 replacement for the older 747-400's

doesnt exactly leave a lot of room for longhaul expansion with the current longhaul fleet orders

cs
Old Nov 6, 2011, 10:53 am

Programs: BAEC Blue
You would have to think they would go with something Boeing longhaul due to fleet commonality and maintenance but Iberia have A340/330's I suppose.

It might be a matter of which will offer a better deal. they definitely need something with all these extra slots they are probably going to acquire
Old Nov 6, 2011, 11:56 am

Programs: BA Gold, IC Ambassador, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Fairmont Platinum
Originally Posted by bobby333
You would have to think they would go with something Boeing longhaul due to fleet commonality and maintenance but Iberia have A340/330's I suppose.

It might be a matter of which will offer a better deal. they definitely need something with all these extra slots they are probably going to acquire
That's true from a financial point of view, but as crew can only be licensed for three plane types at a time, adding in A340s or A330s would make life difficult. I imagine a Boeing option would therefore be better, probably a mix of 777s and 787s, but 747-800 would be nice (althoiugh ruled out by everyone on here).
Old Nov 6, 2011, 11:57 am

Programs: Tufty Club (Gold), BAGA Gymnastics level 4, 440yds swimming certificate
They'll keep the profitable BMI stuff which fills holes in their network. They can get AA to take on more North Atlantic rotations if they decide they do want to expand long haul and need to find equipment quickly but I doubt they will. Many BMI routes will be useful additional feed into their existing long haul network as it stands now

BA have spare aircraft they can put as slot sitters for a time if necessary.
As a condition of the purchase they'll probably have to lose a number of slots too.

I think the next BA order will be Embraers for LGW followed shortly by the remaining long haul replacement order of 777, 787 and an a380 top up.
Old Nov 6, 2011, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Any fleet changes assumes capacity at required airports.

The major impact of this purchase for LHR is that T2 has been designed with BMI as a key Star Alliance carrier.
Old Nov 6, 2011, 12:26 pm

Programs: BAEC redundant Bronze, AAdvantage Lifetime PLT, CO, WN, B6
They can get AA to take on more North Atlantic rotations if they decide they do want to expand long haul and need to find equipment quickly but I doubt they will.
I doubt that's an option at present. AA has some widebodies and some 757's parked or underutilized at present because they have a shortage of pilots.
Old Nov 6, 2011, 12:34 pm

Programs: Sir CT-UK - Streaker pour les autres.
I have no idea on the order but when I saw the thread and the OP I thought Gatters would be in the first sentance not the third.....
Old Nov 6, 2011, 1:23 pm

Programs: BA Silver, HH Gold, Marriott Gold
How about the possibility of some BMI A320's replacing the LGW short haul fleet and the LHR slots left available are replaced with long haul expansion.

Of course this is not an exact science but it would reduce the need to order new short haul aircraft and leave the long haul decision to just which aircraft to order ??
Old Nov 6, 2011, 1:25 pm

Programs: their are many of them
Isn't Iberia part of the IAG group. They operate an all airbus fleet. Aside from the 787 and A380 and maybe 777s are there any additional orders on the BA books?
Old Nov 6, 2011, 2:19 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club,Skywards,Hilton Honours,Mariott Rewards,SPG
Originally Posted by bernardd
I doubt that's an option at present. AA has some widebodies and some 757's parked or underutilized at present because they have a shortage of pilots.
When I was in New York a few weeks back, I read an article which stated that a whole batch of AA pilots retired within a very short period and they are now short of 777 certified flight deck. As a result the 777's are under-utilised.

Surely somebody in crewing must have seen that one coming?
Old Nov 6, 2011, 2:25 pm

Programs: MUCCI
BA have been really impressed with the economics of the 777-300 so I bet that they would have a few more of those in the first instance.
Also I would have thought that a few more A380's would not go amiss but I also suspect that some of the 747's that were due for early retirement will be around a bit longer......
FD
Old Nov 6, 2011, 2:44 pm

Programs: HiltonH. Gold Starwood Gold BA BLUES! Mucci.
Well, the changes in APD have made flights to the Caribbean marginal.
BA are in business to make money.... so perhaps there will be fewer frequencies, freeing up a number of 777's to LHR from LGW for long-haul work to new destinations in India and China.
Gradual replacement of the LGW 737's with BMI A319's A320's and perhaps some new Embraer 195 aircraft.
At Heathrow, possible re-config of any remaining BMI A319's to Offer a similar standard as Club World LCY to places where there is a strong premium market without the freight requirement.....(!)
A dedicated new EMB service that is based in NQY.....(I Would use it!!!)
07:00 NQY- LHR (FULL HOT BREAKFAST)
09:00 LHR-NQY (FULL HOT BREAKFAST)
11:00 NQY-LGW (BRUNCH)
13:00 LGW-NQY (LUNCH)
15:00 NQY-LHR (FULL AFTERNOON TEA - REAL CLOTTED CREAM)
17:00 LHR-NQY (HOT DINNER)
19:00 NQY - LGW (HOT DINNER)
21:00 LGW-NQY (NIBBLES AND DRINKS.)
Old Nov 6, 2011, 2:48 pm

I think the next BA order will be Embraers for LGW
Doubt it. Too small for the routes proposed. Will much more likely be A320 family (and hopefully another brace of A318s for LCY)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.