Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Future fleet order....... Assuming IAG buy BMI

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Future fleet order....... Assuming IAG buy BMI

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2012, 1:31 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Junior Jet Club
Still confused why BA wouldn't go 748, it's the most loved plane after the pointy one, handled by vast majority of airports and has a nice capacity.
And as a small fleet few operators globally, lack of financing appetite from banks and a likely non-existent secondary market, it is pretty unappealling.
Old Feb 8, 2012, 10:43 am

Programs: EK Skywards Blue, 9W Blue, LH
The thing is that the A380 has worked for airlines like EK, SQ and QF who aren't challenged very much by other airlines on their A380 and other routes, but it hasn't worked as well for European air carriers like LH and AF, who frequently withdraw, relaunch and change routes operated by A380s almost on a quarterly basis. Sometimes it works out as just too much capacity. Would it be the same for BA?
Old Feb 8, 2012, 10:47 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, HH Diamond.
Originally Posted by razMJ
The thing is that the A380 has worked for airlines like EK, SQ and QF who aren't challenged very much by other airlines on their A380 and other routes, but it hasn't worked as well for European air carriers like LH and AF, who frequently withdraw, relaunch and change routes operated by A380s almost on a quarterly basis. Sometimes it works out as just too much capacity. Would it be the same for BA?
on routes such as JFK, IAD etc where they have many planes per day, they can either increase capacity or fly less planes!
also BA main restriction is landing slots at LHR so maybe it will work for them?
Old Feb 8, 2012, 11:19 am

Smile

Originally Posted by stewaran
on routes such as JFK, IAD etc where they have many planes per day, they can either increase capacity or fly less planes!
also BA main restriction is landing slots at LHR so maybe it will work for them?
Oh yeah, forgot about that.
Old Feb 8, 2012, 12:44 pm

Programs: MUCCI
I guess that there are about 10 routes BA could get an A380 working on along the lines of:

SFO, LAX, GRU, HKG, JNB, PVG, BOM, DXB, LAS, CPT.

Some of these may not be able to take the A380 (such as CPT) and some of these it will be growth over the next few years (PVG has gone 5x/wk 777-200 to 6x/week 777-300 in 2 years) but we shall see. I suspect that the BMI merger lessens the needs for the big birds as there are now more slots that BA has so it can go for frequency on routes and open new ones up with direct services.
FD.
Old Feb 8, 2012, 1:03 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
I would say YVR could take an A380 from a load factor point of view, the airport would need to be upgraded though. The only time I remember being in a cabin that wasn't full was F this summer, and that was only the return with 8 out of 14, the outbound was full in F.
Old Feb 8, 2012, 1:21 pm

Programs: Mucci, BAEC Silver, Scandic 3rd Floor, PC Pleb, FB Off White, Tufty Club
Originally Posted by Flying Doctor
I guess that there are about 10 routes BA could get an A380 working on along the lines of:

Some of these may not be able to take the A380 (such as CPT) and some of these it will be growth over the next few years (PVG has gone 5x/wk 777-200 to 6x/week 777-300 in 2 years) but we shall see. I suspect that the BMI merger lessens the needs for the big birds as there are now more slots that BA has so it can go for frequency on routes and open new ones up with direct services.
FD.
You missed JFK, which is the no-brainer route for premium traffic, but that all depends on what config BA goes for on the 380
Old Feb 8, 2012, 1:30 pm

Programs: MUCCI
Originally Posted by FenLandK
You missed JFK, which is the no-brainer route for premium traffic, but that all depends on what config BA goes for on the 380
Except that BA is on the record for saying it wants to maintain frequency for East Coast USA and in particular JFK.

FD.
Old Feb 8, 2012, 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by Flying Doctor

FD.
BA definitely wants to operate to BOM and it would be very successful if they could because BOM too has slot constraints (and also terminal constraints for another year or two) and there is not enough capacity still, but the Indian government probably won't let them for competition reasons until IT start operating BOM to LHR on A380 in 2016 (if Kingfisher are still around then!).
I would also include SYD, SIN, and if growth continues, BLR. I wouldn't include DEL for the same reason as BOM.
Old Feb 11, 2012, 4:02 am

Originally Posted by Panic Stations
The 767s can't stick around for long as sometime in the next few years (can't remember exactly but it's less than 5) there's a navigation equipment change required for the North Atlantic which the 767 won't be able to comply with. That would force it to cross the pond at 28000ft or below, making it uneconomical for the US routes. It could carry on flogging south and east but it's pretty limiting.
If (they probably will) they acquire the BMI routes to Amman, Beirut, Damascus, Tehran, Freetown and any other mid/long haul routes operated by narrowbodies (BD have only 2 A330s) then they could use the 767s on those routes.
They could keep the A330s, but there's only two of them and with that 'crew 3 aircraft' policy I can see them possibly being transferred to IB.
Old Feb 11, 2012, 4:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)
Originally Posted by razMJ
If (they probably will) they acquire the BMI routes to Amman, Beirut, Damascus, Tehran, Freetown and any other mid/long haul routes operated by narrowbodies (BD have only 2 A330s) then they could use the 767s on those routes.
They could keep the A330s, but there's only two of them and with that 'crew 3 aircraft' policy I can see them possibly being transferred to IB.

Yep i personally think that they will keep the all 767s (rather than the current 14 planned) the A330s will be binned or booted to IB

cs
Old Feb 11, 2012, 4:25 am
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Originally Posted by cornishsimon
Yep i personally think that they will keep the all 767s (rather than the current 14 planned) the A330s will be binned or booted to IB

cs
Don't think they will be "binned". Second-hand A330's are very highly sought after at the moment so BA will have no problem disposing of them at a good price if IB don't want them. Having said that, don't think IB's are RR powered so there would be a commonality issue.
Old Feb 11, 2012, 4:30 am

Programs: BA, LH, VS, Hyatt, SPG
The vast majority of BD's fleet is leased so any unwanted aircraft can be returned to lessors as and when operational requirements/lease terms allow.

IB already has A330s on order, so I think its requirements will be already covered.
Old Feb 11, 2012, 4:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)
Originally Posted by BOH
Don't think they will be "binned". Second-hand A330's are very highly sought after at the moment so BA will have no problem disposing of them at a good price if IB don't want them. Having said that, don't think IB's are RR powered so there would be a commonality issue.
well "binned" as in binned from IAG

The two options for them as i see it is to go to IB or leave IAG, i cant see the A330s staying with BA post BMI take over

cs
Old Feb 17, 2012, 8:07 am

If you think about the oldest aircraft in BA's fleet, the oldest 12 or some few more 747s are due to be replaced by 12 A380s in the coming years, 787s are due to replace some 767s and are also for expansion. If BA reduce frequencies on routes operated by both them and BMI across Europe, then some of the 25 A319/20/21 can be used to replace LGW's 19 737s, but there are some ageing 772s as well, and to increase capacity slightly BA could order more 777-300ERs, or they could order A350s. Which one's more likely?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.