Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Flexibility in BA S. America bookings (or Asia??)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2011, 12:04 am
Original Poster

Greetings,

Forgive me if this question seems a bit selfish, considering I'm primarily asking this question to determine my own itinerary. But with BA miles depreciating in November, and a presumably large number of folks looking to burn miles, I think the question may reach a larger audience.

I'm looking to fly to South America on LAN using BA miles. I'd especially like to backpack the Inka Trail to Machu Picchu, but I'd also like to visit as many South American cities as possible.

I'm curious which routings you folks have successfully booked on LAN through the BA service center. I'm in the greater LA area, so I'd like to go LAX-LIM-(buy my own way r/t to CUZ)-IPC. But on the way home, I'd like to hit SCL, EZE, and GIG, if possible.

Would something like an LAX-LIM-IPC-SCL-EZE-GIG-LIM-LAX itinerary for 50k in coach work? I'm looking especially for advice from folks who have booked similar trips.

Alternatively, if you guys think CX trips to Asia offer more "bang for the buck," please share those opinions.
Old Oct 31, 2011, 12:51 am

Programs: AA LT Plat
Originally Posted by thtsapaddlin
Greetings,

Forgive me if this question seems a bit selfish, considering I'm primarily asking this question to determine my own itinerary. But with BA miles depreciating in November, and a presumably large number of folks looking to burn miles, I think the question may reach a larger audience.

I'm looking to fly to South America on LAN using BA miles. I'd especially like to backpack the Inka Trail to Machu Picchu, but I'd also like to visit as many South American cities as possible.

I'm curious which routings you folks have successfully booked on LAN through the BA service center. I'm in the greater LA area, so I'd like to go LAX-LIM-(buy my own way r/t to CUZ)-IPC. But on the way home, I'd like to hit SCL, EZE, and GIG, if possible.

Would something like an LAX-LIM-IPC-SCL-EZE-GIG-LIM-LAX itinerary for 50k in coach work? I'm looking especially for advice from folks who have booked similar trips.

Alternatively, if you guys think CX trips to Asia offer more "bang for the buck," please share those opinions.
GIG might be a problem -- LAN Argentina does not fly EZE-GIG. The only destination that LAN Argentina flies to in Brazil is GRU. So you would have to backtrack to SCL and the system or the agent might not allow that. But otherwise, the itinerary is good, though you might want to do this:

LAX-LIM-IPC-SCL-MVD-EZE-GRU-LIM-LAX. If you go to Buenos Aires via Mendoza, you would save yourself $140 on the entry fee that they collect at EZE/AEP. You are already saving the Chilean entry fee by entering Chile via IPC.
Old Oct 31, 2011, 2:46 am

I think LIM-IPC is a seasonal flight. You'll have to check whether it's flying during your dates. If it isn't, you can fly SCL-IPC but will get stuck with the reprocity fee.

The poster above suggested routing through MDZ to avoid the fee at EZE/AEP. When I booked my trip using a similar routing, I wasn't able to do that. I had to fly direct SCL-EZE.

To give you more ideas on what can be booked, I flew MIA-LIM-IPC-SCL-EZE-LIM-MIA in biz for 80k BA miles.

Last edited by LizzyDragon84; Oct 31, 2011 at 1:50 pm
Old Oct 31, 2011, 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by jakeryan1
GIG might be a problem -- LAN Argentina does not fly EZE-GIG. The only destination that LAN Argentina flies to in Brazil is GRU. So you would have to backtrack to SCL and the system or the agent might not allow that. But otherwise, the itinerary is good, though you might want to do this:

LAX-LIM-IPC-SCL-MVD-EZE-GRU-LIM-LAX. If you go to Buenos Aires via Mendoza, you would save yourself $140 on the entry fee that they collect at EZE/AEP. You are already saving the Chilean entry fee by entering Chile via IPC.
I agree with almost all of this, except that I think JakeRyan1 mixed up his airport codes. The code for Mendoza, Argentina is MDZ. Alternatively, MVD is Montevideo, Uruguay.
Old Oct 31, 2011, 1:34 pm

For anyone else following this thread:

I'm in a similar position as the OP. I'm looking into a similar itinerary as mentioned above. I would really like to also visit Costa Rica as well. I know CR is not in South America, but does anyone have any ideas on how to get to SJO while using the BAEC 80k J RT to S. America?

Anyone had any success pulling that one off?

Many thanks to all.
Old Oct 31, 2011, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Since this is BA specific I'll move it there.
Old Nov 1, 2011, 8:31 am

LizzyDragon84 and jakeryan1 -- Were any of those airports in your suggested routes overnight stops, or were some of them just connecting flights? (I'm trying to figure out a similar trip and wondering what's possible.)
Old Nov 3, 2011, 10:30 pm

Originally Posted by jakeryan1
If you can wait long enough, LAN Argentina has applied for daily EZE-GIG effective January 1st.
Old Nov 10, 2011, 8:26 pm

Programs: UA Gold, AA Gold, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Hertz Pres Circle, etc etc
Originally Posted by LizzyDragon84
I think LIM-IPC is a seasonal flight. You'll have to check whether it's flying during your dates. If it isn't, you can fly SCL-IPC but will get stuck with the reprocity fee.

The poster above suggested routing through MDZ to avoid the fee at EZE/AEP. When I booked my trip using a similar routing, I wasn't able to do that. I had to fly direct SCL-EZE.

To give you more ideas on what can be booked, I flew MIA-LIM-IPC-SCL-EZE-LIM-MIA in biz for 80k BA miles.
Another data point. This week I booked JFK-LIM-IPC (dest)-SCL-EZE/AEP-GRU-LIM-JFK for 80k in business class (except SCL-EZE and AEP-GRU were only avail in coach around my desired travel days). $240 all in taxes/fees per person for Sept 2012.
Stopping everywhere except LIM on the return leg since doing that on the way down.

P.S. Any way I can get business class if becomes available on the two legs that are now coach? If so, how?

Last edited by greek2me; Nov 10, 2011 at 8:29 pm Reason: update for 2 coach legs
Old Nov 10, 2011, 9:09 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3 MM+, BA (very) Blue, CO nobody
Just keep checking for availability in J (EF?) and when you find it, just call.
There should be no charge to change.
Old Nov 10, 2011, 11:38 pm

Programs: BA Avios, UA MP, AA, Choice, Club Carlson
I believe AEP-GRU/ GRU-AEP are Economy Class only flights. No premium cabins.
Old Nov 11, 2011, 12:08 am

Programs: AA LT PLT 3 MM+, BA (very) Blue, CO nobody
Originally Posted by mrkymark
I believe AEP-GRU/ GRU-AEP are Economy Class only flights. No premium cabins.
G3 has business class on this route according to ITA but is bookable with AA miles only, not BA.
Surely SCL-EZE should be available in J.
Old Nov 11, 2011, 8:27 am

Originally Posted by Paulchili
G3 has business class on this route according to ITA but is bookable with AA miles only, not BA.
Surely SCL-EZE should be available in J.
G3's offers Economy Comfort in some routes, not Business Class. Unfortunately, G3 does not offer Economy Comfort on GRU-AEP.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.