FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Flexibility in BA S. America bookings (or Asia??)
Old Oct 31, 2011, 12:51 am
jakeryan1

Programs: AA LT Plat
Originally Posted by thtsapaddlin
Greetings,

Forgive me if this question seems a bit selfish, considering I'm primarily asking this question to determine my own itinerary. But with BA miles depreciating in November, and a presumably large number of folks looking to burn miles, I think the question may reach a larger audience.

I'm looking to fly to South America on LAN using BA miles. I'd especially like to backpack the Inka Trail to Machu Picchu, but I'd also like to visit as many South American cities as possible.

I'm curious which routings you folks have successfully booked on LAN through the BA service center. I'm in the greater LA area, so I'd like to go LAX-LIM-(buy my own way r/t to CUZ)-IPC. But on the way home, I'd like to hit SCL, EZE, and GIG, if possible.

Would something like an LAX-LIM-IPC-SCL-EZE-GIG-LIM-LAX itinerary for 50k in coach work? I'm looking especially for advice from folks who have booked similar trips.

Alternatively, if you guys think CX trips to Asia offer more "bang for the buck," please share those opinions.
GIG might be a problem -- LAN Argentina does not fly EZE-GIG. The only destination that LAN Argentina flies to in Brazil is GRU. So you would have to backtrack to SCL and the system or the agent might not allow that. But otherwise, the itinerary is good, though you might want to do this:

LAX-LIM-IPC-SCL-MVD-EZE-GRU-LIM-LAX. If you go to Buenos Aires via Mendoza, you would save yourself $140 on the entry fee that they collect at EZE/AEP. You are already saving the Chilean entry fee by entering Chile via IPC.