Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BAA Confirmed to sell EDI

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2011, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
GLA's expansion opportunities are greater than EDIs, and that is likely the main driver behind the sale.

I was surprised about the decision, and was expecting the opposite.

I'm in favour of scaling down BAA's property portfolio so that they can focus on Heathrow.
Old Oct 20, 2011, 2:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Prospero
Exactly!

If this happens the customer will pay the price whilst the new owner struggles with a debt burden.
Some local businessmen are sniffing about including Richard Jeffrey....the ex tram man. Jenbel is a big fan of him.
Old Oct 20, 2011, 2:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/bu...w-2373085.html

They are saying its only worth 500 million.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/ae6f727a-f...#axzz1bMDLwbEq
Old Oct 20, 2011, 3:41 pm

Would be nice to see the TATL flights out of GLA return, even in narrowbodies. AA to ORD, DL (NW) to BOS. Any others?
Old Oct 20, 2011, 4:47 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)
Originally Posted by alasdair_m
Would be nice to see the TATL flights out of GLA return, even in narrowbodies. AA to ORD, DL (NW) to BOS. Any others?
Loganair start NQY next year......... In an S340 that's almost a transatlantic flight !!!!!

cs
Old Oct 21, 2011, 2:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by HIDDY
It's well known that BAA ran GLA as the main charter and long haul gateway in Scotland while EDI was seen as the main European gateway. That is one of the reasons why the Competition Commissions found that the travelling public were not being served fairly.

I'm just glad the monopoly has been broken up. For GLA...one of the top conference centres in the UK not to have vital air links to the hubs of LH and AF really is a disgrace. All those services were encouraged to serve EDI instead.
Exactly. It was a carve-up of traffic that was good for the monopoly owner well, but did not serve its regional travellers well and was not at all good for Glasgow.
Old Oct 21, 2011, 6:41 am

The creation of BAA should never have happened in the first place! For decades the people of central Scotland and London have had to suffer from this monopoly. I'm just glad that there will be some competition between the owners now to (hopefully) attract some new carriers to serve a wider range of destinations. EDI has already got links the links to the big european hubs of LHR, FRA, CDG and AMS. A middle east link to a hub like DXB or AUH would be most welcome!
Old Feb 28, 2012, 3:17 am

Programs: BA S, VS S, SQ G, HH D, IHG D/A, Marriott G, Radisson G, Hertz PC
Just had an email from the BAA Worldpoints team - will only be able to collect and spend Worldpoints up until the 31st May 2012 at EDI. Can pre-book parking prior to that but that's the last day for collecting/spending. Shopping vouchers obviously still valid at other BAA airports.
Old Apr 23, 2012, 5:13 am

Programs: AA 2MM - PLT, BA GGL, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Sold to the owners of LGW

BBC reporting that Edinburgh airport has been sold to the owners of Gatwick.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...iness-17814024
Old Apr 23, 2012, 5:14 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Moomba
BBC reporting that Edinburgh airport has been sold to the owners of Gatwick.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...iness-17814024
Great news. Can we get a proper fast-track security like LGW now please
Old Apr 23, 2012, 5:38 am

Programs: BA Exec Club,Skywards,Hilton Honours,Mariott Rewards,SPG
Originally Posted by Paralytic
If they can do the same at EDI, as the improvements they have recently made at LGW it should be good news.
Old Apr 23, 2012, 5:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I hope this hasnt taken money away from any investment in LGW. I am not saying they shouldnt run EDi at all.
Old Apr 23, 2012, 6:01 am

Programs: AA: Life time PLT; HH Diamond
EDI better price?

Think EDI will get a much better price than GLA because of the major terminal improvements; EDI is on the up with an Asian airline reportedly interested in coming there and a Middle Eastern one to come (Shame that GLA got Emirates......................
Old Apr 23, 2012, 6:02 am

Programs: BA S, VS S, SQ G, HH D, IHG D/A, Marriott G, Radisson G, Hertz PC
Or can BA at least offer it to their Silver/Gold members - will miss that when not travelling on bmi any more!
Old Apr 23, 2012, 6:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
There is a proper fast track security - in fact, it's been there for ages. Admittedly, the one before they rearranged the security lay out was a bit ropey - the only time I had paid for it (through paying for fast track car parking) it was closed.

The new one works pretty well - but you do need to be on the correct airline to use it. So I'm not sure if that is an airport problem or an airline problem.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.