Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BAA Confirmed to sell EDI

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2011, 10:07 am

Programs: BA Gold, CX Gold (OW Sapphire), Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Accor Platinum
No doubt that will mean the end of the World of Whiskies shop.

Oh, and if Manchester Airport Group get to buy it, I'll be first on the phone to the Competition Commission to launch an enquiry into how many airports they own ... after all, if BAA has to keep selling them down (yes, I know it's all to do with passenger numbers, but frankly the decision was a joke).
Old Oct 19, 2011, 12:53 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Gutted!

I've been looking forward to GLA getting a new lease of life ever since the initial judgement.
Old Oct 19, 2011, 2:46 pm

Programs: HiltonH. Gold Starwood Gold BA BLUES! Mucci.
Yup, I thought they would sell GLA but really glad that they are selling EDI.
I am so impressed with the improvements at LGW and hope to see massive improvements at EDI, particularly security, where a couple of charter flights in the mix = longer at security than actually in the air down to LON!!!
Old Oct 19, 2011, 5:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by andset1191
Perhaps BAA has seen something in GLA that I've missed. It's a bucket and spade airport at present without (other than Continental and bmi regional) a Star Alliance representation. Maybe BAA knows something we don't.
I don't think they care if passenger are carrying buckets & spades or briefcases. Holidaymakers typically spend longer in the airport, spending more money there than business-travellers.

Last edited by IAN-UK; Oct 19, 2011 at 5:18 pm
Old Oct 19, 2011, 6:26 pm

Local rag is stating that more long haul routes to North America and Middle East could be on the horizon in the medium term:

http://www.scotsman.com/news/transpo...that_1_1919604
Old Oct 19, 2011, 7:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
I don't think they care if passenger are carrying buckets & spades or briefcases. Holidaymakers typically spend longer in the airport, spending more money there than business-travellers.
It's well known that BAA ran GLA as the main charter and long haul gateway in Scotland while EDI was seen as the main European gateway. That is one of the reasons why the Competition Commissions found that the travelling public were not being served fairly.

I'm just glad the monopoly has been broken up. For GLA...one of the top conference centres in the UK not to have vital air links to the hubs of LH and AF really is a disgrace. All those services were encouraged to serve EDI instead.

The quicker Ferrovial/BAA get out of the UK altogether the better I say. A bunch of cowboys....who couldn't run a p... up in a brewery.
Old Oct 19, 2011, 7:32 pm

Programs: Too many...
Originally Posted by Jenbel
I think we need a farewell to BAA Edinburgh drinking session.
Splendid plan ^

Just name a date, might even be combinable with a Christmas type do

J
Old Oct 19, 2011, 7:34 pm

Programs: Too many...
I must say I am happy to see BAA sell off EDI... If the new owners can sort out the security shambles I will be well happy...
Old Oct 19, 2011, 8:50 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt 5+ Badge

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Mucci des Salons Ouvrants
I am a little sad - are they selling EDI because it is the worst of the Scottish airports? I hope not as it my favorite airport. A lot has to do with the fact that I feel like I have come home when I get there - it is about 5 mins from arrival to being in my families arms and that is worth lot - I went through Gatwick last week - God that was a nightmare. In fact I would say that of all the airports I have used over the last few years - it has been the worst!

In all the times I have travelled through EDI I have never had a security nightmare - and on one particular special occasion - they looked after me EXTREMELY well so I cannot agree with the dissenters for security.

I hope EDI realize that us Scottish travelers love it - maybe this will be the making of it. I hope that whoever takes it over does not do as bad a job as the Gatwick crowd have.

AKS120
Old Oct 20, 2011, 6:10 am

Programs: BAEC blue, CX Gold, HHonors Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Le Club Accor Plat
Certainly is interesting times, I can only hope that GLA will improve as well and that we see some more direct european or *A routes soon.

With PIK up for sale too who knows what carriers are going to end up where - could FR up sticks and head to GLA?
Old Oct 20, 2011, 6:14 am

Originally Posted by speccy
With PIK up for sale too who knows what carriers are going to end up where - could FR up sticks and head to GLA?
I certainly hope not!

I do agree with you speccy, that GLA needs many more *A connections now that BD has vanished. An AF CDG connection would be good also - that would make ScaryTeam a powerful force at GLA.

My only concern is that GLA management may focus on the short term by brining in routes operated by budget carriers to bucket and spade destinations, rather than securing the long term feeders into the major EU hubs.
Old Oct 20, 2011, 12:45 pm

Programs: BA blue,, aeroplan 25K
Confused

Ok so I don't get it. What
Are the implications in terms flights to and from edi once it's "sold" ? Will flights from LHR on BA still serve EDI ? Will more north American flights land directly at EDI ? Will more Europen flights on BA fly out of EDI. Or will nothing happen ???
Old Oct 20, 2011, 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by aircrashsurvivor
Ok so I don't get it. What
Are the implications in terms flights to and from edi once it's "sold" ? Will flights from LHR on BA still serve EDI ? Will more north American flights land directly at EDI ? Will more Europen flights on BA fly out of EDI. Or will nothing happen ???
It is only a change of owner (whoever the new owner will be). It is very unlikely we will see any changes to the flights/routes/airlines in the short term. In the longer term, the new owner may boot out/bring in airlines in order to boost the financials of the airport.

However, nothing to worry about in terms of BA flying in and out of EDI
Old Oct 20, 2011, 2:16 pm

Programs: Mucci du Miel d'Or
I would expect to see a middle east carrier from EDI soon, hopefully not a QR narrow body...

I do think that BAA encouraged longhaul consolidation at GLA. However not sure GLA will see a step up in euro carriers, anytime soon. AF and LH previously served GLA. LH used to have an office in town, but whatever reason these routes were cut. EDI does seem to be able to generate more business traffic.

My guess, is the choice of EDI was down to the price they would get.
Old Oct 20, 2011, 2:20 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Originally Posted by rossmacd
It is only a change of owner (whoever the new owner will be). It is very unlikely we will see any changes to the flights/routes/airlines in the short term. In the longer term, the new owner may boot out/bring in airlines in order to boost the financials of the airport.

However, nothing to worry about in terms of BA flying in and out of EDI
Exactly!

My worry is whoever acquires EDI does not overpay for it. If this happens the customer will pay the price whilst the new owner struggles with a debt burden.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.