BAA Confirmed to sell EDI

Old Oct 19, 2011, 3:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Blue, VS Silver
BAA Confirmed to sell EDI

SkyNewsBreak - BAA confirms it will sell Edinburgh airport to satisfy competition concerns
Old Oct 19, 2011, 3:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

First BA, now BAA abandoning the regions.
Old Oct 19, 2011, 3:30 am

Programs: BA bronze
Originally Posted by Swanhunter
First BA, now BAA abandoning the regions.
Its only EDI, a little provincial town

Old Oct 19, 2011, 4:44 am

Programs: BA Silver
I can't quite decide if this is good news or not. I guess a new owner might try to improve things.

Or they could increase the drop off charge
Old Oct 19, 2011, 4:49 am

Programs: BAEC
I thought the general consensus was that GLA was the one more likley to be sold. Than again, perhaps the sale of EDI would generate more cash for BAA.

From a selfish viewpoint I'd like to think that BAA selling EDI would have a positive impact on GLA, but I suspect that's just wishful thinking!
Old Oct 19, 2011, 4:52 am
Suspended
Hilton Contributor Badge

This is a shock.

The only rational explanation I have is that BAA gets more capital for EDI and thinks GLA will recover.

Perhaps BAA has seen something in GLA that I've missed. It's a bucket and spade airport at present without (other than Continental and bmi regional) a Star Alliance representation. Maybe BAA knows something we don't.

What a move.
Old Oct 19, 2011, 4:53 am

I am slightly surprised they've chosen to sell EDI, given how much BAA have invested there airside recently. Of course that might have been done so they could set a higher asking price!
Old Oct 19, 2011, 4:53 am

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
I'm surprised it's EDI as it is the bigger airport in terms of passenger numbers with more airlines (bmi, LH etc.). If you look at the trends in passenger numbers GLA is declining slowly whilst EDI is increasing.

Also with BAA introducing some new revenue raising enhancements at EDI recently (Ł1 to drop off, credit card surcharge on the car park), I thought this was their grand plan to make it their Scottish cash cow.

As EDI is 30 minutes further from home than GLA, I may have a dilemma in the future if whoever buys it makes it a much nicer place from which to fly.
Old Oct 19, 2011, 4:58 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
The owners of MAN appear to be very interested in acquiring EDI, according to local news reports.
Old Oct 19, 2011, 5:02 am

I'm quite surprised too - definitely though Edinburgh and also Aberdeen would stay.

But EDI is on the up, and perhaps they want the capital. One day it'll get that ridiculous tram too!

Maybe the Gatwick team will be interested. They're doing an excellent job there.

I wonder what BAA want to do with GLA. It's pretty shameful in terms of scheduled carriers.
Old Oct 19, 2011, 5:06 am

Programs: not a lot
That's a big loss for me in terms of WorldPoints.
Old Oct 19, 2011, 5:17 am

Programs: SK*G, BA Silver, Flying Blue, VLM, VT Traveller, PC Platinum, BW Diamond
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
The owners of MAN appear to be very interested in acquiring EDI, according to local news reports.
The council?
Old Oct 19, 2011, 5:18 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, BD Blue (RIP)
Originally Posted by LiviLion
That's a big loss for me in terms of WorldPoints.
Same! They've saved me a lot of money on parking over the years!
Old Oct 19, 2011, 6:00 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by globalste
The council?
Manchester Airport Group
Old Oct 19, 2011, 6:10 am

Programs: BA Executive Club
Originally Posted by andset1191
This is a shock.

The only rational explanation I have is that BAA gets more capital for EDI and thinks GLA will recover.

Perhaps BAA has seen something in GLA that I've missed. It's a bucket and spade airport at present without (other than Continental and bmi regional) a Star Alliance representation. Maybe BAA knows something we don't.

What a move.
I agree 100%. I was convinced Glasgow would be sold. Maybe they think that Glasgow would not sell as easily, or as others have said a better price for EDI.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.