Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why Gold is worth it

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2011, 9:50 am

Programs: BA GfL & GGL, EK & VS Gold, Amex Cent
Originally Posted by Sherwood Hampton
So you were talking from your OWN perspective where as I was talking about just the facts.
The tier bonuses are same for Silver and Gold now... so its not even a benefit.

F-checkin, F-lounges, 1A/K, no change-fees on eg miles bookings, and non-proven better chance of OpUp for another 800tps of travel. Strong. But I still go for it!
Old Jul 27, 2011, 10:49 am

Programs: Plat:US,DL (ex KL,AF,LX,LY) Gold:BA,VS (ex CO,UA).Plat.SPG,HGP Diam.HH. ICHG Plat RA. Amex Centurion
Originally Posted by Sherwood Hampton
And when flying Y.

And using the other First lounges across the world.

And getting more BA miles.
BA miles are the same for Silver and Gold - the bonus has changed so there is no benefit of "more BA miles" for a Gold rather than a Silver.

:-(
Old Jul 27, 2011, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by thegoderic
This may be related to the fact that bmi is slowly going down the pan.
Tell me about it. I looked at the route map in the onboard magazine last week and I said to myself "there's not even half a dozen places on this list that I would be even vaguely likely to visit". BD*S is going to be vanishing from my profile next April (and hopefully to be replaced by BA Silver!)
Old Jul 27, 2011, 11:58 am

Originally Posted by stifle
BD*S is going to be vanishing from my profile next April (and hopefully to be replaced by BA Silver!)
My BD*G was quickly replaced with BA Silver and FB Silver (for all the benefit that gives me )

It is a real shame since the BD ground crews (at outstations) are fantastic, the best in the business in my opinion.
Old Jul 27, 2011, 12:04 pm
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
Currently based in the US and doing a lot of AA domestics.

BA Gold is VERY useful. Especially when transiting thru ORD, LAX and JFK!

And at times of irrops AA have actually done more for me (as a BA Gold) than BA themselves often did.

A recent eg. I was flying SAN-DFW and my 1pm departure was going to be delayed by 2 hours causing me to missing my onward connection. At 10am I got a phone call from a gentleman at the Admirals Club telling me of the delay, and that I was already protected on the 3pm SAN-DFW flight with the connection also rebooked. He also told me that if I could get to SAN check-in in 30 minutes he would even hold a seat for me (on the completely full!) 11am departure and that I should just head to a desk no. x where they will be holding BP's for all the above scenarios for me! I made it to SAN in time, got on the packed 11am (ahead of 17 other standby pax) and also found that the kind person had blocked an exit row aisle seat for me.

All of the above on a cheapo economy ticket. Only because I was BA Gold. And a lot more than BA themselves have often done for me in case of such irrops.

IMHO, BA Gold's greatest worthiness is on CX and AA.
Old Jul 27, 2011, 1:08 pm

Programs: ABBA
Originally Posted by Savage25
What left a bad taste in the mouth was that for a Gold ticketed in First, neither the BA staff at the airport nor the Gold line would tell me whether BA would reimburse me the 150 I would have to pay for a one-way taxi ride back home to Canary Wharf (HEX/Tube was down and the cabs were running pre-neogitated fares with their meters turned off).
Fairly sure that's against their license. If they accept your journey to Canary Wharf (they only *have* to go as far as the city), they MUST charge the meter rate, which I think should be about half that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.