Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyphenated Name?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2018, 3:03 am

Originally Posted by eltibu
The only thing I would add to this is that with a hyphenated surname I have had trouble with AA rejecting my BAEC details. Booking at AA.com seems to be OK with some playing around but booking through a travel agent, it was rejected time and time again and I lost the miles. Even when I tried to reclaim BA just didn't reply.
The way that names are formatted in the reservation system you can never have hyphens, apostrophes or any symbol for that matter in a name. It should never cause a problem as long as the name is otherwise spelled correctly and in the correct order.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 3:14 am

This reminds me of an excellent blog post by Patrick McKenzie from 2010, on "Falsehoods Programmers Believe About Names", in which he enumerates a number commonly held incorrect assumptions regarding names.

It's well worth a read, especially if you work in technology or with IT systems, and/or in an international environment where you get many different cultural 'standards' (or lack of) regarding names…
Old Feb 1, 2018, 4:25 am

Programs: BA Bronze
Originally Posted by squawk
This reminds me of an excellent blog post by Patrick McKenzie from 2010, on "Falsehoods Programmers Believe About Names", in which he enumerates a number commonly held incorrect assumptions regarding names.

It's well worth a read, especially if you work in technology or with IT systems, and/or in an international environment where you get many different cultural 'standards' (or lack of) regarding names…
A bit OT (will bring it back on topic) but I read a great article about unfortunate passengers whose surname is ‘Null’ - this causes a lot of problems making it almost impossible to book anything online.
My daughter has a hyphenated given name, she used to worry but now just omits the hyphen, job done!
squawk likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 5:25 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HHonors Diamond; A3 *Nothing ; BA Exec. Club Gold
This topic bring me to a situation I faced last December with my partner while checking in at Singapore for our flight to Sydney.

The agent basically said the name on the ticket was not correct and that since 2 years ago they have been told to ensure this is not happening and we (he) could be denied.
My partner being asian has the normal 3 name structure.
first name, middle name, family name. (John, Li, Smith)

His BAEC account shows his first name and last name (John Smith) and for the last 3 years he has had many fights with zero issues. This coming up to our recent BA.

The passport shows the name in a weird order.
Family Name, Middle Name, First Name. (Smith, Li, John) but does not state what the family name or first name is.
It is because if this that the check in agent was picking it up as the middle name was seen as the first name which was not on the ticket. She had to call a manager and it took ages to resolve with this turning in quite ugly as she would not relent those 2 characters of his middle name that were missing. The resolution was that we should get his exec club name amended and ensure it won’t happen again as the exec club name is what appears on the ticket when booked if logged in.

Is this correct? It felt strange as the agent basically said that John was not his first name but Li was..
Have I been calling him by his wrong name for 3 years? Has he been lying to be about his name?

Globalist

Old Feb 1, 2018, 6:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Globalist
The passport shows the name in a weird order.
Family Name, Middle Name, First Name. (Smith, Li, John) but does not state what the family name or first name is.
Which country issued the passport? And does the details page only have a single line for names, rather than showing given names and a family name/surname on different lines? And how does the name appear in the first machine-readable line?

In a Chinese (or perhaps more accurately Hong Kong Chinese) context, I'm used to seeing names in different formats depending on context. Someone might have the Chinese name Chan Wing Yip, and also have an English given name of Alan. He might be Chan Wing Yip in some contexts, Alan Chan in others and Alan Wing Yip Chan in further situations. But in Hong Kong, it would be common to find the name rendered in official documents (eg a passport) as surname Chan, given names Wing Yip Alan.

I could see how it could then be objected that a ticket in the name of Alan Chan does not match the passport surname / passport first name combination (although Wing Chan would).

My mother has a further variation on this by sometimes using her married surname on its own, and sometimes using a surname comprising her married surname followed by her maiden surname. So she has two official names: one is in the form surname Lam, given names Jane Yee Wah, and the other is surname Lam Yeung, given names Yee Wah Jane.

Fortunately, she has one passport in each name and travels carrying both.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 6:35 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Spare a thought for the many people in Kent and East Anglia who have the historic Flemish name of De'Ath.

The problem here is that airlines can't do hyphens, apostrophes and certain characters such as ð, which is in the name of approx 5% of Icelandic citizens. Plus the majority of the planet that doesn't use the Latin script at all. Unfortunately the DHS computers (and their Canadian equivalents) can handle these letters, so mismatches are inevitable. But it does clearly illustrate why it is an urban myth that your ticket needs to match your passport name - in many cases that is simply impossible.

Best advice? Keep it short, drop middle names and matronymics, just one first name and one family name will do. So long as it clearly identifies you and isn't a million miles off your passport name, that should suffice.
squawk likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 7:23 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HHonors Diamond; A3 *Nothing ; BA Exec. Club Gold
Originally Posted by Globaliser
Which country issued the passport? And does the details page only have a single line for names, rather than showing given names and a family name/surname on different lines? And how does the name appear in the first machine-readable line?
Singapore passport, One line without any distinction of what the name refers to. Standard for Singapore passports is that the first one is the family name. So it shows <Chinese family name> <Chinese middle name> <western fist name> and exactly the same in the machine readable line.

Because the middle name (Li) is mentioned after the family name but before the first name it could be construed that this is the actual first name. I was also thinking as the issue is only two characters and there is an allowance for errors for more then 2 that it would never be an issue...

You have been very helpful to me the last few days, thanks!

Globalist
Old Feb 1, 2018, 7:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Spare a thought for the many people in Kent and East Anglia who have the historic Flemish name of De'Ath.

The problem here is that airlines can't do hyphens, apostrophes and certain characters such as ð, which is in the name of approx 5% of Icelandic citizens. Plus the majority of the planet that doesn't use the Latin script at all. Unfortunately the DHS computers (and their Canadian equivalents) can handle these letters, so mismatches are inevitable. But it does clearly illustrate why it is an urban myth that your ticket needs to match your passport name - in many cases that is simply impossible.

Best advice? Keep it short, drop middle names and matronymics, just one first name and one family name will do. So long as it clearly identifies you and isn't a million miles off your passport name, that should suffice.
I do not recommend dropping the middle name on a booking if you passport has it in - I had great fun in the US one summer, because the person booking a series of flights did not include my middle name, and yet it was on my passport. My last name is also hyphenated, but that has never caused issues, it just drops the hyphen and smushes the two words together (and cuts off the end of the name because there are too many characters!)
Old Feb 1, 2018, 7:34 am

Programs: BA Oneworld
My family comprises three surnames:

Me: Mr. Wxxxxx
Wife: Mrs. Da Costa
Son: Mstr. Costa Wxxxxx
Daughter: Miss. Costa Wxxxxx

The names are logged in the BAEC with the correct spacing in the surname but our BPs do not indicate the spacing:
WXXXXX
DACOSTA
COSTAWXXXXX
COSTAWXXXXX

Which does not reflect exactly what is written in the passport but we have never had any problems.

Last edited by BrianWBrazil; Feb 1, 2018 at 7:45 am
Old Feb 1, 2018, 7:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by emma69
I do not recommend dropping the middle name on a booking if you passport has it in - I had great fun in the US one summer, because the person booking a series of flights did not include my middle name, and yet it was on my passport.
I think I've now clocked up over half a century of trouble-free flying, often to the US, on tickets that have never included my middle name!
Old Feb 1, 2018, 8:06 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Globaliser
I think I've now clocked up over half a century of trouble-free flying, often to the US, on tickets that have never included my middle name!
Ditto. I've got a heap of middle names (for which I can only blame my hippy 1960s parents, it was probably a good idea at the time, but they certainly don't remember it!). If Russia doesn't need them, if Belarus doesn't need them, heck if Ryanair doesn't need them, then it's OK to drop the middle name.

The TSA and DHS internal guidance also allow for travel without middle names.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 12:56 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
I have often wondered what happens when someone with a hyphenated name marries somebody who also has one. Perhaps someone out there could enlighten me ?
Old Feb 1, 2018, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Ditto. I've got a heap of middle names (for which I can only blame my hippy 1960s parents, it was probably a good idea at the time, but they certainly don't remember it!). If Russia doesn't need them, if Belarus doesn't need them, heck if Ryanair doesn't need them, then it's OK to drop the middle name.

The TSA and DHS internal guidance also allow for travel without middle names.
The US is the only place I recall it being an issue, and there was no issue with me actually flying, it is just I had to go to the service desk with my documents and they had to do something manually. It is possible it related to the ESTA more than the ticket/passport?
Old Feb 1, 2018, 1:59 pm
Formerly known as linzbh

Programs: BAEC GGL, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium
I have a hyphenated surname and yes the - gets removed but never any issues with boarding or TP/Avios credit
Old Feb 1, 2018, 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by TheOldMan
I have often wondered what happens when someone with a hyphenated name marries somebody who also has one. Perhaps someone out there could enlighten me ?
My niece and her husband combined parts of their hyphenated names to create a new hyphenated name.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.