Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyphenated Name?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2018, 5:21 pm

Programs: SK Gold, ITA Executive, Sixt Diamond, Hertz PC, Avis PC, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by TheOldMan
I have often wondered what happens when someone with a hyphenated name marries somebody who also has one. Perhaps someone out there could enlighten me ?
Then it becomes a 1name1-1name2-2name1-2name2 or any combination of those.

And a complete bureaucratic nightmare
TheOldMan likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 5:24 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hotels.com Gold
I have often wondered what happens when someone with a hyphenated name marries somebody who also has one. Perhaps someone out there could enlighten me ?
Should people choose to have multiple hyphenated names, this would not be new or uncommon. For example the incumbent MP for South Dorset, Richard Drax, is legally Richard Grosvenor Plunkett-Ernle-Erle-Drax and that has been the family name since his grandfather, born in 1880 so not exactly a modern conceit.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 6:05 pm

Originally Posted by Airclues
I booked a flight (on BA) for a friend who has a hyphenated surname. However, the confirmation e-mail did not have the hyphen. I know that I put the hyphen on the booking form.
Will this be a problem, either checking in, or entering the US?
as a double barrellee it doesn’t matter. sometimes there is a space sometimes no space sometimes they have dropped the second surname. hasnt been an issue in my 28’years
Old Feb 1, 2018, 11:56 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Depends how far you want to take it:

Richard Plantagenet Campbell Temple-Nugent-Brydges-Chandos-Grenville, 3rd Duke of Buckingham and Chandos, 7th Viscount Cobham

In countries with strict rules on the use of full legal names, like Germany, this can lead to comedic effects. A friend of a friend has 7 forenames (the maximum permitted in Germany) and a surname that runs something like "Grafin von something und somethingelse". Her ID card is printed with a specially small font to fit her entire name on. When hiring a car in the USA, she was told to fill in her full name on a form. "Are you sure?" "Yes your FULL NAME" "Very well...".

In computer systems design there are various articles about assumptions about names which are wrong, beginning with "everyone has a name" through "names don't have spaces", on into "everyone has a first name and a last name", continuing to "people can't have more than four names surely" and finally "names have a finite reasonable length".

(Examples where these are false, many others also exist
1. Young babies
2. Sasha Baron Cohen
3. Indonesians
4. Most of the British Royal Family
5. see above.)

Last edited by flatlander; Feb 1, 2018 at 11:59 pm Reason: add examples
Old Feb 2, 2018, 2:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by emma69
The US is the only place I recall it being an issue, and there was no issue with me actually flying, it is just I had to go to the service desk with my documents and they had to do something manually. It is possible it related to the ESTA more than the ticket/passport?
Your ESTA and your API must match your passport details. If they don't, that could give you problems - including if the ESTA and API don't have your middle names but your passport does.

Your ESTA and your API do not have to match your ticket name, and your ticket name does not have to include your middle names.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 5:37 am

The API customers enter does not need to match passport details such as middle names.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.