Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Maximizing Stopovers on a LAN Award to/through South America

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Maximizing Stopovers on a LAN Award to/through South America

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2011, 2:50 pm

Do we check in to our flight through ba.com or lan.com? I'd like to see my flight on lan.com, but I don't see where I can put in my record locator to look it up. Is it possible?
Old Nov 16, 2011, 3:51 pm

I forgot to mention that a couple of days ago when I was booking my last redemption to SA, the CSA was complaining about all the people calling to book flights to SA. She said, "I don't know why they think SA is going to change, SA is not going to change." I just said, "Oh, really? Well, I was planning to go to SA anyway at this time" and politely kept pressing my booking!

At the end, she told me to get my hotels right away because hotels were going to be hard to come by in SA!!
Old Nov 19, 2011, 5:21 am

Got a great agent about two weeks ago and nabbed CUZ-LIM-IPC-SCL-MDZ-AEP (business class on the IPC flights).

Scored CNS-AYQ-ASP-MEL-SYD a few months ago as well, so BA miles have been very good to me.

Now on to the next deal.
Old Jan 1, 2012, 8:27 pm

I hate to bring this thread up from the dead, but I have a question.

I didn't book before the changeover (I don't know my schedule until about 6 months in advance) and will pay the price - I know.

I am just wondering, for those that got SCL-IPC routing, did you have to go through LIM? The EC flight availability generator keeps routing me through SCL-LIM-IPC on the overnight flight when I can plainly see that I can go SCL-IPC directly during the day. I'm wondering if they also switched the availability after the changeover, or something.

It also won't let me search for GPS availability. What gives? Anyone else have these issues?
Old Jan 1, 2012, 9:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

may be the system can only display Lan Chile but you want a different Lan?

it has been reported that even the agents dont know they need to search another lan when the flight is not by Lan Chile but Lan Peru or Lan whatever.

So may be the system simply isn't programmed to show all different lans' flights?

To illustrate, I tried to check KA's flight HKG-PHN, but BA does not even have the airport code. However KA clearly flies that route. I am not keen enough to call BA to find out but if I were you I would call BA to inquire the IPC flight you are interested as it seems you would still want to go despite now the price tag may have gone up A LOT.
Old Jan 1, 2012, 10:01 pm

Thank you for your prompt reply!

After doing some research that's what I have concluded about the GPS - it is LAN Ecuador which does not show up in their systems. BUT it did on a connection through EZE and LIM, so it appears selectively. Perhaps a grey area?

I figured since people were talking about booking it on here that they would be seeing it online, but I think it only works when you call in and feed them the Flight #'s/routes.

That would also make sense RE: the LIM-IPC routing, as well as some other EZE routing issues I am having (it only wants to go through SCL).

Wife and I have 230k-ish (I think) miles to burn on this trip and it will be our last with Avios. If I could have booked this thing before Nov 15th trust me I would have.

I am currently looking at doing this:

MIA-GYE
GYE-GPS-GYE ??
GYE-EZE (pref. to AEP I hear) ( Cannot find direct routing for this either but flight exists)
EZE-SCL
SCL-IPC (again, it routes through LIM!?)
(possibly IPC-PPT-IPC but CANNOT find availability for this AT ALL)
IPC-LIM (again, cannot find on BAEC)
(possibly LIM-CUZ-LIM again based on timing)
LIM-MIA

Instead, i'm being forced to do:

MIA-GYE
GYE-GPS-GYE
GYE-LIM
(LIM-CUZ-LIM)
LIM-IPC
IPC-SCL
SCL-EZE
EZE-LIM
LIM-MIA

Any suggestions of how to get back to MIA instead of going EZE-LIM-MIA? Where could I route the EZE-MIA flight and not backtrack?

If I could figure that out I'd be happiest, definitely, but having a hard time finding a way back with EZE that doesn't hit up where I've been.

Last edited by tbuff; Jan 1, 2012 at 10:02 pm Reason: LAN ecuador and thanks
Old Jan 1, 2012, 10:11 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3 MM+, BA (very) Blue, CO nobody
Even though you are using Avios for the reward, I think you'd get better advice about LAN routings on LAN forum.
Then you can call BA to book the award.
Besides, in case if you haven't figured it out yet, you won't find many friends here (or any sympathy as you are considered one of the "freeloaders" from Chase).
I hope I will be proven wrong .

Last edited by Paulchili; Jan 1, 2012 at 10:19 pm
Old Jan 1, 2012, 10:16 pm

Originally Posted by Paulchili
Even though you are using Avios for the reward, I think you'd get better advice about LAN routings on LAN forum.
Then you can call BA to book the award.
Besides, in case if you haven't figured it out yet, you won't find many friends here (or any sympathy).
Good idea. I will start a thread there with my proposed itineraries as well.

Thanks.
Old Jan 1, 2012, 10:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by tbuff
Thank you for your prompt reply!

After doing some research that's what I have concluded about the GPS - it is LAN Ecuador which does not show up in their systems. BUT it did on a connection through EZE and LIM, so it appears selectively. Perhaps a grey area?

I figured since people were talking about booking it on here that they would be seeing it online, but I think it only works when you call in and feed them the Flight #'s/routes.

That would also make sense RE: the LIM-IPC routing, as well as some other EZE routing issues I am having (it only wants to go through SCL).

Wife and I have 230k-ish (I think) miles to burn on this trip and it will be our last with Avios. If I could have booked this thing before Nov 15th trust me I would have.

I am currently looking at doing this:

MIA-GYE
GYE-GPS-GYE ??
GYE-EZE (pref. to AEP I hear) ( Cannot find direct routing for this either but flight exists)
EZE-SCL
SCL-IPC (again, it routes through LIM!?)
(possibly IPC-PPT-IPC but CANNOT find availability for this AT ALL)
IPC-LIM (again, cannot find on BAEC)
(possibly LIM-CUZ-LIM again based on timing)
LIM-MIA

Instead, i'm being forced to do:

MIA-GYE
GYE-GPS-GYE
GYE-LIM
(LIM-CUZ-LIM)
LIM-IPC
IPC-SCL
SCL-EZE
EZE-LIM
LIM-MIA

Any suggestions of how to get back to MIA instead of going EZE-LIM-MIA? Where could I route the EZE-MIA flight and not backtrack?

If I could figure that out I'd be happiest, definitely, but having a hard time finding a way back with EZE that doesn't hit up where I've been.
I don't understand your concern about "backtracking." Any redemption made after 11/15/11 (other than a oneworld multi-partner redemption) will require that you pay for each segment flown. There are no more free, en-route stopovers when you redeem BA Avios.
Old Jan 1, 2012, 10:30 pm

Originally Posted by guv1976
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

I don't understand your concern about "backtracking." Any redemption made after 11/15/11 (other than a oneworld multi-partner redemption) will require that you pay for each segment flown. There are no more free, en-route stopovers when you redeem BA Avios.
I completely understand. I am not expecting to get this for 37.5 k. I fully expect to be near 110k per person.

I just do not want to either have to fly EZE-SCL-LIM-MIA to get home, since I will have already been to SCL and LIM. Thus the back tracking. I would rather go EZE-?-MIA, and at worst EZE-LIM-MIA, but neither seem possible.
Old Jan 1, 2012, 10:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by guv1976

I completely understand. I am not expecting to get this for 37.5 k. I fully expect to be near 110k per person.

I just do not want to either have to fly EZE-SCL-LIM-MIA to get home, since I will have already been to SCL and LIM. Thus the back tracking. I would rather go EZE-?-MIA, and at worst EZE-LIM-MIA, but neither seem possible.
Is there no availability on AA's EZE-MIA nonstop?
Old Jan 2, 2012, 3:29 am

Programs: Priority Club, TAM Fidelidade, BAEC, Marriott Rewards
Sometimes there are glitches, and you can't see some partner's flights. I had problems seeing SCL-IPC, while IPC-SCL were there. Then it was fixed. If you don't want to extend the trip south, best is to call BA to book.
Have in mind IPC-LIM is not a daily flight.
Old Jan 2, 2012, 8:25 am

Originally Posted by neuromancer
Sometimes there are glitches, and you can't see some partner's flights. I had problems seeing SCL-IPC, while IPC-SCL were there. Then it was fixed. If you don't want to extend the trip south, best is to call BA to book.
Yeah I am searching weeks at a time, still cannot find direct SCL-IPC. if you had trouble however that reassures me.

I will have to end up calling BA.

I can't seem to find the direct EZE-MIA, all routing goes through SCL
Old Jan 2, 2012, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by neuromancer
Yeah I am searching weeks at a time, still cannot find direct SCL-IPC. if you had trouble however that reassures me.

I will have to end up calling BA.

I can't seem to find the direct EZE-MIA, all routing goes through SCL
The ba.com website does not always accurately show award-seat availability on AA. If you can see "MileSAAver" award availability on aa.com, you should be able to secure that flight with Avios by calling BAEC (and being insistent about the availability of the AA flight).
Old Jan 2, 2012, 8:48 am

I have an award ticket booked for JFK-SCL-IPC-SCL-JFK (at the old 40k level in coach). Any ideas about what I can add on to this, assuming ticket changes are still at the same old 40k level. I am interested in Brazil/Patagonia/Ecuador(GPS). (I have been to Argentina/Peru).

I see LAN flies to GRU from SCL, but not GIG? I guess IPC is my destination.

How about getting a SCL-GRU/GIG ticket one-way?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.