Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Maximizing Stopovers on a LAN Award to/through South America

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Maximizing Stopovers on a LAN Award to/through South America

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2011, 7:21 pm

Originally Posted by Paulchili
I don't think this had anything to do with BA's changes and Avios. There is NO FUTURE to IPC with BA (except using mileage charts)
These routings were seldom requested or done before - only in this last minute rush to burn BA miles to SA.
BA has decided to make whatever changes it will make to its program long before these "crazy" routings and independently of IPC.
As per many posters here:
Most BA agents have never even heard of IPC, except in the last few weeks.
Various agents mentioned they have done more IPC bookings in the past week than they have in their entire 6-8 year tenure with BA.
Old Nov 15, 2011, 7:29 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
I was unable to get thru all day and finally figured out how to book 2 one ways that get me through the cities I wanted (LIM, SCL, IPC) and we'll see if they will let me add the steps in later. As a gold it won't cost anything...
Old Nov 15, 2011, 7:29 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3 MM+, BA (very) Blue, CO nobody
Originally Posted by Coolers
Various agents mentioned they have done more IPC bookings in the past week than they have in their entire 6-8 year tenure with BA.
Exactly
Old Nov 15, 2011, 7:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

These routings were seldom requested or done before - only in this last minute rush to burn BA miles to SA (by FTers).
Last minute?

They've been talked about on here since the Chase miles bonanza started. I shall wait at least a year to visit IPC.....the place must be heaving with Yanks at the moment.
Old Nov 15, 2011, 7:35 pm

I do feel a little bad for all of the agents...it sounds like a lot of people were asking for some crazy routings.

IPC is a common final destination, and I've seen it in a lot of routings, but I have not seen anyone else book it as a connection between SCL and LIM.

I am a little shocked there weren't more people redeeming PPT. Maybe the once weekly flights scared people off but I jumped all over the MIA-LIM-IPC-PPT-IPC-SCL-MIA once I saw someone mention a PPT routing.
Old Nov 15, 2011, 7:40 pm

Originally Posted by HIDDY
Last minute?

They've been talked about on here since the Chase miles bonanza started. I shall wait at least a year to visit IPC.....the place must be heaving with Yanks at the moment.
Maybe not - some Yanks might have booked their awards for later in 2012 - just to meet and annoy you
You'd better wait a couple of years just to be safe.
Old Nov 15, 2011, 7:43 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA EXP - 1MM, BAEC BRZ, BVY GLD, Hilton DIA, Hyatt GLB
Originally Posted by bsegreto
I am a little shocked there weren't more people redeeming PPT. Maybe the once weekly flights scared people off but I jumped all over the MIA-LIM-IPC-PPT-IPC-SCL-MIA once I saw someone mention a PPT routing.
well IPC-PPT is not within the S. American Region. So if you are saying you got that whole itinerary for the same price as N. America to S. America then you got really lucky. I MEAN REALLY LUCKY.

I for one will not purchase IPC-PPT on ba miles since it can be had much cheaper on AA miles. (IPC is considred South Pacific in AAdvantage)

IPC DO

when are people heading to IPC? We shall all meet up and have a Avios Mother %$%$% drink. LoL
Im heading there on July 16 - 21

Last edited by KL808; Nov 15, 2011 at 7:47 pm Reason: adding IPC Do
Old Nov 15, 2011, 7:45 pm

Probably because PPT is not exactly a bargain like IPC (cheaper with AA miles)
PS cross posting with KL808
Old Nov 15, 2011, 8:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinium
Originally Posted by HIDDY
Last minute?

Until November 14 2012
Old Nov 15, 2011, 8:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinium
Probably because PPT is not exactly a bargain like IPC (cheaper with AA miles)
PS cross posting with KL808
Unless you want to go to PPT and IPC at the same time. With BA is not easy to get from MIA to PPT on one partner. You can do it with AA miles but you can't do stopover out of US.
Old Nov 15, 2011, 8:20 pm

Unless I really misunderstand AA award construction, I disagree.

For arguments sake, lets say PPT priced out at 80/160 using BA miles...I still prefer it to the AA award. Considering that this thread is all about maximizing stop overs and the AA awards offer no int'l stop overs, the BA/LAN award is a steal.

AA Pricing would be...
MIA-LIM (stopover) 17.5k
LIM-IPC (stopover) 40k
IPC-PPT (Stopover)20k
PPT-IPC-SCL (Stopover in SCL) 37.5k
SCL-MIA 20 (30 peak)

Correct me if I'm wrong about how the AA award would work (and I very well could be wrong, I'm relatively new to this) but that is 135 off peak, 145 peak economy. Around 240k J? I think the BA award at 80k is a steal.

Although if you are just going to PPT the AA award is a better deal.

Last edited by bsegreto; Nov 15, 2011 at 8:27 pm Reason: Agreeing straight ppt awards are cheaper on AA
Old Nov 15, 2011, 8:42 pm

Unless I really misunderstand AA award construction, I disagree.

For arguments sake, lets say PPT priced out at 80/160 using BA miles...I still prefer it to the AA award. Considering that this thread is all about maximizing stop overs and the AA awards offer no int'l stop overs, the BA/LAN award is a steal.

AA Pricing would be...
MIA-LIM (stopover) 17.5k
LIM-IPC (stopover) 40k
IPC-PPT (Stopover)20k
PPT-IPC-SCL (Stopover in SCL) 37.5k
SCL-MIA 20 (30 peak)

Correct me if I'm wrong about how the AA award would work (and I very well could be wrong, I'm relatively new to this) but that is 135 off peak, 145 peak economy. Around 240k J? I think the BA award at 80k is a steal.

Although if you are just going to PPT the AA award is a better deal.
Yes, with stopovers, BA is a better deal; directly AA is. But you would not do it as separate awards with AA but as a "Circle Pacific" or distance based all partner award (or some such deal). I have not done those, so I do not know the redemptions rates but they would be less than adding up individual segments.
However, all that has changed even as we speak
Old Nov 16, 2011, 1:00 am

Programs: AA Аэрофлот UA LH AF AS SPG HH PC
..... deleted
Old Nov 16, 2011, 1:09 am

Originally Posted by Coolers
Right after my last post lamenting how difficult it was to book a straightforward routing, I scored an excellent agent who booked GPS-GYE-UIO-LIM-CUZ-LIM-IPC-SCL (with stops in every city) in economy for 12,5k.
Now all that's left to worry about is whether I can change my dates in the future without an overzealous agent cancelling my itinerary...
Thats an extreme OW itinerary. Congratulations.
I hope you don't run into any problems if you have to make a change and they notice the routing. If they ever put notes in your itn, it will make it difficult to make changes. I have also met agents who were clamping down on excessive stopovers or out of the way routing. They would tell me that I could only do ONE stopover or that its not a natural routing. Got shot down on jfk-lim-eze-scl-ipc and jfk-lim-scl-ipc. The agents were well aware of the IPC routing. Anyhow, I reorganized my routing and was able to book the following itn.

1. JFK-YVRx-HKG-MNLx-HKG-BKK OW FC on CX
2. JFK-SCLx-IPC OW J LAN
3. IPC-LIMx-GYE-GPS OW J LAN
Old Nov 16, 2011, 1:08 pm

All of you who have managed to book your creative SA itineraries (esp with IPC) before Nov 16th are the true winners today - congratulations to you are in place.
Not only have the awards gone up (as expected) but ALL stopovers are essentially gone - and not just in SA, but everywhere.
It is now segments if you want stopovers.
It has come a full circle - now AA awards are not only lower (as they have been to 95% of OW destinations even before) but you can have free NA gateway stopovers (for same mileage).
How the times have changed!
How long before AA follows this example? I hope not before I cash in my 500K+ miles, which I will try to do ASAP

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.