Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Maximizing Stopovers on a LAN Award to/through South America

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Maximizing Stopovers on a LAN Award to/through South America

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2011, 7:10 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Silver
Here's what we recently booked, in case anyone is looking for more SA ideas. These are all in economy class.

LAX>LIM>CUZ - 20k miles pp
CUZ>LIM>GYE(stop)>GPS - 12,500 miles pp
GPS>GYE(stop)>LIM(stop)>LAX - 20k miles pp

Note that you cannot book GPS through BA's web site (at least not yet). You can check availibility using LANpass on LAN's web site (look for the ones in baby blue) and then you have to call BA. They refused to waive the fees for a phone booking too. I had them ask two managers and I even sent an e-mail after the fact and they could care less
Old Nov 3, 2011, 11:10 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3 MM+, BA (very) Blue, CO nobody
Originally Posted by LA_FadeAway
They refused to waive the fees for a phone booking too. I had them ask two managers and I even sent an e-mail after the fact and they could care less
I hope you are not looking for sympathy here - it ain't gonna happen.
Just enjoy your trip.
Old Nov 4, 2011, 12:12 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Silver
Not looking for sympathy, just venting and letting others who want to book GPS know. It's kind of lame that their system errors out when trying to book GPS (and you can't book stopovers online anyway), but then they charge you to call them.
Old Nov 4, 2011, 2:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Paulchili
Nobody here, anyway, knows the answer to that question - and if they do, they are not talking .
We all have to wait till Nov 16th for the answers. SA may not be that much costlier (but could be); the best bargain now is IPC, which now is the same as SA, but surely will not be after Nov 16th. So, if that is on your bucket list, book it now!
Originally Posted by nu_foo
Thanks Paul,
might just book the IPC trip after all
Originally Posted by rajuabju
Whatever you want to do, book before 11/16/11

I know its been mentioned already... but its worth repeating, and there's a strong possibility the # of miles you'll need for this trip will increase substantially.
Only if you really want to go to IPC.

We dont have any desire to go to IPC therefore even though it is the bargain to be had on the current chart, we are not rushing to redeem a SA itinerary just so we could feel good about having grab some cheap award before the chart changes.

For me anyway, now the TATL mileage comes down, I might bite the YQ bullet and later just use the miles for F to Europe... The only problem is I dont think BA flies MIA - LHR!
Old Nov 4, 2011, 4:43 am

Programs: Latinpass Million Miler. BA Gold.
Originally Posted by Happy
For me anyway, now the TATL mileage comes down, I might bite the YQ bullet and later just use the miles for F to Europe... The only problem is I dont think BA flies MIA - LHR!

Yes they do - 2 or 3 times per day.
Old Nov 5, 2011, 6:15 am

since award seats are not open yet for late 2012, can i make a booking now and then change the dates later without them canceling and rebooking using the new award fee schedule (post 11/16?)
Old Nov 5, 2011, 9:12 am

Programs: AA LT PLT 3 MM+, BA (very) Blue, CO nobody
Originally Posted by apuraja
since award seats are not open yet for late 2012, can i make a booking now and then change the dates later without them canceling and rebooking using the new award fee schedule (post 11/16?)
I don't think so.
Award tickets are good for 1 year only - currently till Nov 5th 2012.
Best case scenario would be if after the (anticipated) changes on Nov 16th there will be a "grace" period before changes take place. Then you could make your booking for late 2012 at current rates.
Old Nov 6, 2011, 1:25 am

Not that this is worth much...

Originally Posted by Paulchili
I don't think so.
Award tickets are good for 1 year only - currently till Nov 5th 2012.
Best case scenario would be if after the (anticipated) changes on Nov 16th there will be a "grace" period before changes take place. Then you could make your booking for late 2012 at current rates.
When I was booking my CX award with BA I asked multiple (like 8) CSR's and they all pretty much said they could not for sure say that they would honor the award ticket redemptions made prior to 11/15 if one wanted to change after the new Avios redemption chart was released....BUT...they all agreed that it would be incredibly foolish and in bad form for BA to not honor previously booked awards just because people wanted to change dates after the fact. They chimed in pretty much that there would probably be some sort of 'grace period' for people to make changes at the current award redemption rates. Apparently they hadn't received their new handbooks with the updated info.
Old Nov 13, 2011, 10:35 am

Originally Posted by sm1234
I've booked my return from Patagonia. I think it must be a contender for 'best use of a small number of airmiles' prize!

FTE-USH-AEP/EZE-SCL-LPB-LIM-LAX in Y (brief stopover in SCL, otherwise multi-day stopovers)

cost - 10,000 miles+133 (cost bought direct from LAN just under 2000)

It was a bit of a battle to get, and their system wouldn't allow it. In the end it was a supervisor on a weekend shift that 'forced it through manually'. I was told that I couldn't have it because LAN don't allow part cash/part miles; that there was no availability where there clearly was, and then was told airmiles are only valid on LAN Chile (not other LAN's) - all of which I knew were false (if, on the other hand, they had just told me I had to reroute, I would probably have just rolled over and accepted!).
would you mind going over how you were able to book through FTE? I'm trying to book a patagonia trip as well and it would be most helpful. thanks.
Old Nov 13, 2011, 12:04 pm

Programs: Mega Bus Plaid; Southwest Airlines Ruby and Bates Motel Platinum
I like many others are trying to book a trip with BA miles to SA before the Nov 16th deadline, but am having a devil of a time gaining access to availability. I have checked BA.com for availability, but I can't seem to get it to show any partner availability and on known routes it tells me neither BA nor its partners fly the route. I have also checked LAN.com, but am finding award availabilty there non existent. Is there an approach everyone is taking? Can I simply call ba.com and have them look for availability? Thanks.
Old Nov 13, 2011, 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by muflyer
I like many others are trying to book a trip with BA miles to SA before the Nov 16th deadline, but am having a devil of a time gaining access to availability. I have checked BA.com for availability, but I can't seem to get it to show any partner availability and on known routes it tells me neither BA nor its partners fly the route. I have also checked LAN.com, but am finding award availabilty there non existent. Is there an approach everyone is taking? Can I simply call ba.com and have them look for availability? Thanks.
If there is no availability shown on LAN as well, chances are that there indeed is no availability. Not sure when you are trying to travel, but I booked mine for August next year, so there was plenty of options available...

If its saying ba / partners dont fly the route and you know it's doable on lan with stopovers, check each leg separately - that worked for me.
Old Nov 13, 2011, 2:08 pm

I just called BA and the agent told me that they have not been able to book award tickets on LAN since Friday. That doesn't seem right as it appears others have been able to book flights the past couple of days, but I'm curious whether anyone else has heard this. Thanks in advance.
Old Nov 13, 2011, 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by strummerjones
I just called BA and the agent told me that they have not been able to book award tickets on LAN since Friday. That doesn't seem right as it appears others have been able to book flights the past couple of days, but I'm curious whether anyone else has heard this. Thanks in advance.
Got mine Friday afternoon, about 3pm EST (from US call centre)
HTH, and fingers crossed for you!
Old Nov 13, 2011, 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by strummerjones
Did the agent say if they were told that LAN was not bookable? Or if it just comes up as an error? Or other?
Old Nov 13, 2011, 6:58 pm

Just booked...

Agent seemed new, and I basically just told her the flights since I had checked availability already using qantas.com/ba.com. She said she had never heard of IPC until today, and that literally every call today was some crazy South America itinerary. I probably could have added crazier routing as she didn't seem too worried about where the stopovers were, but I didn't wanna push it!

I booked 3 one ways:

Business:
MIA-BOG stop
BOG-SCL stop
SCL-IPC destination

Economy:
IPC-LIM stop
LIM-GYE stop
GYE-GPS destination

Economy:
SCY-UIO stop
UIO-MDE destination

~$300 in taxes and 65,000 miles total

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.