Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Icelandic Volcano erupts again [general discussion]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2011, 7:23 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

I was just browsing the BBC news site and see that a different volcano (apparently Icelands most active) has erupted, albiet on a smaller scale.

It appears to be localised with the ploom going up to nine miles (15km) 50,000 feet which will then head into the jetstream which should take it over Scandinavia according to the video link.

According to the report, Icelandair domestic is not affected but there is a flight ban 120 miles around the area.

Here's hoping mother nature won't repeat itself all over again after last year.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-13487858

Last edited by PETER01; May 21, 2011 at 7:46 pm
Old May 21, 2011, 7:28 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by PETER01
I was just browsing the BBC news site and see that the volcano has erupted again, albiet on a smaller scale.

It appears to be localised with the ploom going up to nine miles(15km) 50,000 feet which will then head into the jetstream which should take it over Scandinavia according to the video link.

According to the report, Icelandair domestic is not affected but there is a flight ban 120 miles around the area.

Here's hoping mother nature won't repeat itself all over again after last year.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-13487858
It's a different volcano

Last year: Eyjafjallajokull
Now: Grimsvotn
Old May 21, 2011, 7:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Feroze
It's a different volcano

Hi Feroze

I know but apparently this one is Icelands most active one

I will edit the title to show Icelandic Volcano eruption to make it clearer.
Old May 21, 2011, 7:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
It's a different volcano

I thought the glacier was called Eyjafjallajokull and the volcano something like Yarp. I maybe talking utter rubbish as it is quite late (or early take your pick).
Old May 21, 2011, 7:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jimmie76
I thought the glacier was called Eyjafjallajokull and the volcano something like Yarp. I maybe talking utter rubbish as it is quite late (or early take your pick).
Hi Jimmie 76

It's a different volcano and this one is Icelands most active. Fingers crossed and they say it shouldn't have much of an impact.

Didn't Micheal Fish say something like that about no storms years ago and lately the weather forecasters saying just a few inches of snow forecast

Yes it's late and I am off to bed.
Old May 21, 2011, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Hi Jimmie 76

It's a different volcano and this one is Icelands most active. Fingers crossed and they say it shouldn't have much of an impact.

Didn't Micheal Fish say something like that about no storms years ago and lately the weather forecasters saying just a few inches of snow forecast

Yes it's late and I am off to bed.
Ah yes I'm aware this time it's a new one but I thought the old one was constantly being misquoted as the glacier on top.
Old May 21, 2011, 8:02 pm
Original Poster

Ah yes I'm aware this time it's a new one but I thought the old one was constantly being misquoted as the glacier on top.
Hi J76

I don't know all the geographical specifics and hopefully our resident amatuer geoligists will be along shortly but the main thing is it could potentially have an affect on air travel.

Reuters are reporting that it will take about 24 hours to fully assess the impact, if any, it may have on european air travel. All I know is there is an eruption on this smallish island and it may be heading to the scandinavian area.

Yesterday I posted about the HEX strike and now this. Maybe I should take a FT sabbatical as I am the messanger of doom and gloom.
Old May 22, 2011, 12:03 am

Volcano man must be our resident expert on the names.... At least this one can be pronounced by BBC news readers.

I suspect it is the first herald of the 'rapture' that was forecast by so many of our colonial renegades yesterday.

http://www.ebiblefellowship.com/outreach/tracts/may21/
Old May 22, 2011, 1:42 am

Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)
It's a different volcano

YARP

Someone been watching a bit too much hot fuzz !!!
Old May 22, 2011, 4:07 am

Iceland is a huge island; the eruption at Grimsvotn is more then 120 miles from Reykjavik I believe. So Keflavik and Reykjavik airports remain open for business (Keflavik does international flights, and Reykjavik domestic flights & Faroes & Greenland).

Icelandair which does international flights won't be affected, and Air Iceland which is one of the two domestic carriers probably won't be affected majorly as both Reykjavik and Akureyri (the largest settlement outside of the Reykjavik surrounding areas) looks to be outside the zone as well.
Old May 22, 2011, 5:08 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, BD Blue (RIP)
Originally Posted by Devvy
Icelandair which does international flights won't be affected, and Air Iceland which is one of the two domestic carriers probably won't be affected majorly as both Reykjavik and Akureyri (the largest settlement outside of the Reykjavik surrounding areas) looks to be outside the zone as well.
Not true I'm afraid. Keflavik is shut today according to the Icelandair information Page. Will be interesting to see if they shift their entire operation to Glasgow again as they did last time.
Of course this doesn't mean we're about to see a repeat of last April. Indeed for the moment the prevailing wind seems to be blowing the ash north of Iceland. I am slightly worried however by how quickly the reaction has gone from 'no flights will be affected' to Keflavik shutting down.
Old May 22, 2011, 6:56 am

Programs: BA/EC Silver
Hurrah!!! Go grimsvotn! (just be nice for my CW trip to Montreal on thursday!). VM.
Old May 22, 2011, 9:11 am

Programs: BA Gold, TG Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat
I have an early evening flight on Thursday to BCN - let the worrying begin if the tv news is to be believe. They have nothing else to report on.
Old May 22, 2011, 9:19 am

Programs: CX MarcoPolo (SL), BA Executive Club (GO)
I have a flight to HKG on June 3rd from LHR, hope it wont be affected. Last April I was delayed for 5 days trying to get to LHR from HKG. I really hope it doesnt happen again. Very worried now.
Old May 22, 2011, 9:20 am

If Keflavik is closed would it affect any TATL routings ( ETOPS impact and such) ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.