Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Icelandic Volcano erupts again [general discussion]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Icelandic Volcano erupts again [general discussion]

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2011, 2:52 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Gold.
Originally Posted by Aero_Safety
If you wish to monitor the impact on airspace the VAAC charts are located here.

It is then down to the National Airworthiness authorities to interpret this data and close airspace via NOTAMS as they see fit. So despite the efforts since last year there will be a lot of interpretation and inconsistent application of whether its "safe to fly".

regards

Aero_safety
I got it wrong . Advice from CAA/ EASA / Eurocontrol is that the airspace will not be closed. The airlines themselves must perform a safety risk assessment and have it accepted by their national airworthiness authority. This means this time the decison to fly is with the airline not ATC. To date no airline has applied to the UK CAA to operate in High density ash which is most of Scotland tomorrow

Also the current bad weather up here means that the forecast is inaccurate so they know there will be disruption but not when or where to any real degree of confidence.

regards

Aero_Safety
Old May 23, 2011, 3:05 pm
Suspended
Hilton Contributor Badge

BA has binned Scottish services tomorrow morning.
Old May 23, 2011, 3:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
Originally Posted by Aero_Safety
I got it wrong . Advice from CAA/ EASA / Eurocontrol is that the airspace will not be closed. The airlines themselves must perform a safety risk assessment and have it accepted by their national airworthiness authority. This means this time the decison to fly is with the airline not ATC. To date no airline has applied to the UK CAA to operate in High density ash which is most of Scotland tomorrow

Also the current bad weather up here means that the forecast is inaccurate so they know there will be disruption but not when or where to any real degree of confidence.

regards

Aero_Safety
You've got to admire a goverment agency's ability to pass the buck and be held non-accountable whatever happens!

Classic example of slopey shoulders from the regulators then...
Old May 23, 2011, 5:36 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Amex and some hotels
I've just posted my woes on the new sticky at the top.
Not sure if I should have posted it here and kept the sticky for experiences (and not just doom-mongering)
Mods, please feel free to move it as neccessary.

Good luck all - here we go again!

(I want to get home for the weekend so I can take the wife out for our wedding anniversary - if I don't make it back, it'll probably be my last anniversary anyway! (She told me not to come)).
Old May 23, 2011, 6:26 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club, Virgin FC
Does anyone know how far south the cloud has to go to have an effect on TATL flights? Would airlines fly south towards Spain, then cross the Atlantic there...? How far can ETOPS planes go?

Reason why I ask is because I'm doing BA001 in 8 days and wonder if it will be effected (due to the SNN stop) as apposed to the directs from LHR....
Old May 23, 2011, 8:03 pm

Originally Posted by ajws_83
Does anyone know how far south the cloud has to go to have an effect on TATL flights? Would airlines fly south towards Spain, then cross the Atlantic there...? How far can ETOPS planes go?

Reason why I ask is because I'm doing BA001 in 8 days and wonder if it will be effected (due to the SNN stop) as apposed to the directs from LHR....
Not positive, but last May, during round two of the volcano matters, I was booked on the BA4 which got cancelled due to inbound getting diverted to BOS after having to maneuver a lot to avoid ash could. None of the other LHR-JFK flights were affected significantly, which made me think either the aircraft or the routing of the LCY services were a little more vulnerable.

At least in JFK it was easy to get an alternate flight. From LCY, less so.
Old May 24, 2011, 1:36 am

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
Interesting that this is being left to AOCs to determine -seems sensible, but also begs the question as to what the point of having a regulator actually is.

I just hope that this is gone by the 1st July when I'm on annual leave. Don't mind the business travel being disrupted (oh dear, I might not be able to go to Hyderabad on Friday...shame...)
Old May 24, 2011, 2:08 am

Programs: OW E, *A RCC, BE P. IHG Plat Amb, Accor Plat, BW Diamond. AMEX Plat
FlyBE from Birmingham to Edinburgh and Glasgow ran this morning with Aberdeen and Dundee cancelled.
Old May 24, 2011, 7:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
It seems that UEFA has decided to take no risks as Barça is flying up to London today, two days earlier than planned.
Old May 24, 2011, 7:05 am

Programs: Lots, some no/low status some high status, can't be bothered to list them :-)
Originally Posted by stimpy
It seems that UEFA has decided to take no risks as Barça is flying up to London today, two days earlier than planned.
That's got nothing to do with UEFA, that was the choice of FC Barcelona.
Old May 24, 2011, 7:09 am

BBC reporting BA have binned EDI, GLA and NCL flights until 1900.
Old May 24, 2011, 7:10 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by andset1191
BA has binned Scottish services tomorrow morning.
That's nothing to do with the weather though, they've just seen the latest episode of The Scheme.
Old May 24, 2011, 7:13 am

Programs: BAEC, Delta SkyPesos, VS FC, SQ KF, AA, HHonors
Originally Posted by JamieT
BBC reporting BA have binned EDI, GLA and NCL flights until 1900.
This seems somewhat overly cautious...
Old May 24, 2011, 7:15 am

Programs: BAEC Silver; Muccis du Monde des Peluches
Originally Posted by stimpy
Barça
Do you always slip into Portguese (or is it French?) when abbreviating the names of Spanish football teams? That's certainly not a Spanish spelling.

Last edited by LeisureFirst; May 24, 2011 at 7:20 am
Old May 24, 2011, 9:17 am

Programs: BA Silver, KLM, HILTON HONOURS
19.00 LHR-GLA has just been cancelled. I got a text!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.