Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Icelandic Volcano erupts again [general discussion]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Icelandic Volcano erupts again [general discussion]

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2011, 9:56 am

Yes I suppose it could, but depends on exact timing of ETOPS cert as there are different times allowed ie 180 mins 240 mins etc. I think Greenland can be used also. Maybe southerly tracks could use the Azores.
Old May 22, 2011, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Delices Exotiques,Order of the Platinum Hairbrush,Her Royal Diamond
Originally Posted by KenJohn
They have nothing else to report on.
It is the weekend and NY courts are closed so no DSK news, wait until Monday and the volcano will be past history.
Old May 22, 2011, 10:19 am

Originally Posted by sigma421
Not true I'm afraid. Keflavik is shut today according to the Icelandair information Page. Will be interesting to see if they shift their entire operation to Glasgow again as they did last time.
Of course this doesn't mean we're about to see a repeat of last April. Indeed for the moment the prevailing wind seems to be blowing the ash north of Iceland. I am slightly worried however by how quickly the reaction has gone from 'no flights will be affected' to Keflavik shutting down.
Yeah I've seen Keflavik is shut now (stuff I saw earlier when I posted said it was shut, either it hadn't been updated or I was just selective reading! ). I looked at the map and it looked well outside the 120mile exclusion zone.

As you say, with winds blowing the ash north (and the BBC news reporting it was heavier ash that will settle quicker then last April) I doubt Keflavik will remain shut for long.
Old May 22, 2011, 10:48 am
TTL

Programs: HH Diam, AY/AX/KQ/IHG/VISA Plat, SK/Bonvoy/Melia/Strawberry Gold, Radisson Prem, PP Prest
News (in KUO, by EuroControl) state that dust cloud is expected to reach UK on tuesday and keep on spreading to FR and ES later on. Is this going to be an annual nuisance?
Old May 22, 2011, 10:55 am

Programs: BA/EC Silver
From colleagues at the university of Iceland:

---
Hello,

A new eruption of Grimsvotn volcano began on 21 May. Information is found on the homepages of the Institute of Earth Sciences, University of Iceland, and the the Icelandic Meteorological office.

http://www.earthice.hi.is/
http://www.vedur.is/

Best wishes,

Freysteinn Sigmundsson
Nordic Volcanological Center, Institute of Earth Sciences, University of Iceland
http://uni.hi.is/fs
---
Old May 22, 2011, 10:56 am

Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)
updated on the bbc news website:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-13489944

Europe's air traffic control organisation said on Sunday: "There is currently no impact on European or trans-Atlantic flights and the situation is expected to remain so for the next 24 hours.

cs
Old May 22, 2011, 11:02 am

Programs: BA/EC Silver
Originally Posted by TTL
<snip> Is this going to be an annual nuisance?
Hard to forecast, volcanoes... But they do have the advantage over earthquakes in that we at least know where they are geographically. This one should not present too much disruption (fingers crossed), as the ash is coarser but if Katla goes we're all in trouble: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Katla_volcano
Old May 22, 2011, 11:26 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Gold.
If you wish to monitor the impact on airspace the VAAC charts are located here.

It is then down to the National Airworthiness authorities to interpret this data and close airspace via NOTAMS as they see fit. So despite the efforts since last year there will be a lot of interpretation and inconsistent application of whether its "safe to fly".

regards

Aero_safety

Last edited by Aero_Safety; May 22, 2011 at 11:27 am Reason: missed signature
Old May 22, 2011, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
Originally Posted by VolcanoMan
if Katla goes we're all in trouble: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Katla_volcano
Bring it on! I am having a ball in Miami. Don't want to leave.
Old May 22, 2011, 5:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by cornishsimon
YARP

Someone been watching a bit too much hot fuzz !!!
After I'd written that, it reminded me and I then watched Hot Fuzz again today.
Old May 22, 2011, 5:28 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Wink

Originally Posted by henkybaby
Bring it on! I am having a ball in Miami. Don't want to leave.
Spill the beans then. Looks like it's very nice and warm there just now.

I stayed 2 nights in the Ritz Carlton a couple of years ago and it was great. Right on the beach. If you remember Miami Vice tv programme, the opening scene with the heli flying over the beach. I always said there's another place on my ticklist. I quite liked the Art Dceo area, restaraunts etc. and did a bus tour around the cuban area. It was great watching the old timers playing dominos and playing cards. Lots to do in MIA though.

Thank goodness it's not MRU you're stuck at.
Old May 22, 2011, 6:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
Originally Posted by PETER01

Thank goodness it's not MRU you're stuck at.
Amen to that!
Old May 23, 2011, 2:34 am

I heard it's their second instalment of Icesave repayments
Old May 23, 2011, 3:50 am

Programs: BA Gold, VS & Aeroplan Red, Marriott Silver, Hilton Honours, Hertz Gold, GHA Discovery Platinum
Looks like I'm still good for BA69 this afternoon. *crosses fingers*
Old May 23, 2011, 4:07 am

Programs: WestJet Dollars, BAEC, Aeroplan, AirMiles, IHG, BW and others
From another thread, BA86 YVR>LHR cancelled after boarding last night due to engine damage from volcanic ash inbound.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.