Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Major earthquake in NE Japan - Narita closed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Major earthquake in NE Japan - Narita closed

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2011, 4:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by itsmeitisss
Half the problem is the blanket coverage which has created a morbid voyeuristic fascination. It will take some time to restart tourism there (as it is indeed in new Zealand following Christchurch) as people will assume it is not safe even after it is declared safe.
The problem is that people make other plans. So it will take a couple of years after the incident for new bookings to get through. Of course business will come back sooner. Egypt is in a bad situation as well and most of their economy depends on the tourism.
Old Mar 17, 2011, 7:24 am

Programs: American AAdvantage
Have British officials started radiation checks on returning flights? I just read that US officials are doing so. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/42122328
Old Mar 17, 2011, 3:10 pm

Programs: BAEC, HHonors, East Coast Mainline, Sheraton
I have my doubts that HND will return after this because of the economic crisis now starting in Japan. BA.com are already reporting that the route is closed until "further notice" and the BA007/8 flights are being used as a second evacuation frequency from NRT via HKG.
Old Mar 18, 2011, 1:39 pm

Programs: BAEC, HHonors, East Coast Mainline, Sheraton
NRT operates via seoul from Tuesday. HND remains suspended.
Old Mar 18, 2011, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyer16
One of the other airlines is using Seoul as their hub as well.
Old Mar 18, 2011, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by flyer16
Hi,

It will have been quite a few years since a BA plane was in Seoul? ( albeit this trip will be just to refuel and pick up new crew?)

Regards

TBS
Old Apr 25, 2011, 9:22 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by PaulN
Indeed. I have sent a polite email for now. I do feel a bit guilty quibbling given the circumstances but I have promised myself I will donate half to a suitable Japan relief fund if they do refund it.

Instead of Tokyo I have ended up with a rather lengthy trip to Tampa via BA in WTP to ORD and AA economy onwards; made slightly better by an unexpected opportunity to MFU the final leg back to London. I'll get back to Tokyo again soon I hope.
Originally Posted by origin
Can you let us know what BA response is. The problem from their point of view is the situation is changing all the time. It just seems to be getting worse though.

Last time I heard, Virgin werent being as nice.
Sorry to resurrect an old thread but rather belatedly I heard back from customer services today (nearly 6 weeks with a reminder last week). No refund as I was told "if i change the booking before 19th March no refund" ignoring that had I waited till after 19th March I would have been £3k at risk and that the advice changed before 19th March (in fact 6 hours or so after I was told it wouldn't change for several days). I've sent a reply but more out of hope than expectation

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.