Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Major earthquake in NE Japan - Narita closed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Major earthquake in NE Japan - Narita closed

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2011, 4:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Delices Exotiques,Order of the Platinum Hairbrush,Her Royal Diamond
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
Four Seasons Hotel, Marunouchi, Tokyo..
One of my all time favorite Four Seasons, besides the amazing staff, love the floor to ceiling glass panels and the fact that the forum ( amazing building) is just across the street. Am not sure which one has better staff that one or the George Cinq.

Safe travels Lady Phobia.
Old Mar 15, 2011, 8:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by toothpick
Great stuff Dave, but too many Internet adverts interfere with delivering the information you are trying to provide. Counter productive.
Ger
Do you not use Firefox with ....... plus and "noscript" add ons, don't see many adverts any more thanks to that combo.
Old Mar 15, 2011, 8:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
I doubt my husband would like me to come out to Japan again until the nuclear power plant issues have settled down, as he's been more concerned about it than I have, but I'm going to try to come out here to help soon.
Stay safe please! ^
Old Mar 15, 2011, 11:19 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
I am back in Europe now and got some updates.

Besides the nuclear risks, I would urge anyone considering non-essential travel to Japan before the end of April (at least) to postpone your trip, as the scheduled power outages in Tokyo and surrounding areas, including Chiba where NRT is, are expected to continue at least until the end of April. It basically means that they are not expecting to be able to supply sufficient power until at least the end April, and therefore consuming extra power by being there is best to be avoided - the more people there are, the more power will be needed. Besides, the power outages are rather disruptive, as I, among many, many people, experienced today. So, you'll be doing yourself a favour as well as the residents of the areas where they are short of power by postponing your trip.

Goods and petrol shortages are also reported to be spreading. Of course, there are issues of nuclear safety and that is also potentially extremely serious, although I have not been fully updated on the situation as I have not long been on the ground.

It will be an extremely challenging time for the people of Japan - it has been a triple disaster of earthquakes, tsunamis and nuclear risk - and I hope we can all try and do what we can to help, no matter how small.
Old Mar 15, 2011, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am back in Europe now and got some updates.

It will be an extremely challenging time for the people of Japan - it has been a triple disaster of earthquakes, tsunamis and nuclear risk - and I hope we can all try and do what we can to help, no matter how small.
I bet you are pleased that you are back home and safe. Thanks for letting us know.

I am sure that people will do what they can for Japan in their own way.
Old Mar 15, 2011, 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by origin
I bet you are pleased that you are back home and safe.
Rather than relief, I'm feeling extremely guilty that I could not be doing something on-site to help.
Old Mar 15, 2011, 1:06 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Flimsy NGCW seats

Whoops!
Old Mar 15, 2011, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Delices Exotiques,Order of the Platinum Hairbrush,Her Royal Diamond
Glad that you are safe at home.

Don't feel guilty, there are professionals who are coming and they are trained for search and rescue operations.

What you can do, is start gathering food, etc and ship them through the Red Cross... That is what we all can start doing.

Welcome home.
Old Mar 15, 2011, 1:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
The OH has found this on MSN. Drag the slider for before and after images ... is that voyeuristic?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/42052263...science-space/
Old Mar 15, 2011, 3:24 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Latest update on BA.COM

Travelling to and from Tokyo in the next few days ?
If you are due to travel on or before 10 April you may

Change the date of travel up to 30 September
Use the value of your ticket towards the purchase of a new ticket to any other destination

You cannot get a refund on your ticket unless the fare rules allow.

Please note: you will need to call one of our contact centres to make these changes.

I said earlier in the thread I was prepared to pay the £270 change fee to swap my tickets for another destination but I didnt expect the date that was covered by the waiver of the change fee to suddenly leap 3 weeks in the 5 hours since I paid up. Grrrrrrr !
Old Mar 15, 2011, 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by PaulN
I said earlier in the thread I was prepared to pay the £270 change fee to swap my tickets for another destination but I didnt expect the date that was covered by the waiver of the change fee to suddenly leap 3 weeks in the 5 hours since I paid up. Grrrrrrr !
It could be worth writing a polite letter to BA to ask if they could consider refunding your change fees, given the new dates they are offering.
Old Mar 15, 2011, 3:40 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
It could be worth writing a polite letter to BA to ask if they could consider refunding your change fees, given the new dates they are offering.
Indeed. I have sent a polite email for now. I do feel a bit guilty quibbling given the circumstances but I have promised myself I will donate half to a suitable Japan relief fund if they do refund it.

Instead of Tokyo I have ended up with a rather lengthy trip to Tampa via BA in WTP to ORD and AA economy onwards; made slightly better by an unexpected opportunity to MFU the final leg back to London. I'll get back to Tokyo again soon I hope.

Last edited by PaulN; Mar 15, 2011 at 3:45 pm
Old Mar 16, 2011, 4:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
Hmmm... We are getting our people out now too. Seems like people are getting more worried.
Old Mar 16, 2011, 5:07 am

My stiff upper lip is starting to tremble a little too.
Old Mar 16, 2011, 5:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by henkybaby
Hmmm... We are getting our people out now too. Seems like people are getting more worried.
I am still very worried, watching it all happen on CNN.

Its a terrible thing to happen to a country.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.