Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Major earthquake in NE Japan - Narita closed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Major earthquake in NE Japan - Narita closed

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2011, 5:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PaulN
Indeed. I have sent a polite email for now. I do feel a bit guilty quibbling given the circumstances but I have promised myself I will donate half to a suitable Japan relief fund if they do refund it.

Instead of Tokyo I have ended up with a rather lengthy trip to Tampa via BA in WTP to ORD and AA economy onwards; made slightly better by an unexpected opportunity to MFU the final leg back to London. I'll get back to Tokyo again soon I hope.
Can you let us know what BA response is. The problem from their point of view is the situation is changing all the time. It just seems to be getting worse though.

Last time I heard, Virgin werent being as nice.
Old Mar 16, 2011, 9:47 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by origin
Can you let us know what BA response is. The problem from their point of view is the situation is changing all the time. It just seems to be getting worse though.
It is certainly getting worse and not better, even before we start talking about the issues relating to nuclear power stations. Supply of fuel is tight and even taxi drivers are having difficulties getting fuel, and there are disrupted public transport (partially due to the rolling power outages), so taxis are in high demand - not a good mix. Essential supplies are running low even far away from Tokyo and Tohoku areas.

Nearly half a million people have evacuated from home (or had their homes destroyed by the earthquake or tsunami) and staying in shelters, many of which are without heating because they have no electricity, gas or heating oil.

And as for the nuclear power station situations - I cannot be confident that they are controlling the situation at the moment, and it has the potential to get much worse.

I strongly urge anyone who is planning to visit Japan as a tourist or non-essential business in the next couple of months to revise your plans if you have not already done so.

Last edited by LTN Phobia; Mar 16, 2011 at 3:46 pm
Old Mar 16, 2011, 10:33 am
Suspended

Programs: Proud owner of 3 Mucci's (yes, 3!) the latest being Chevaliere des Bains Chauds, BA Silver (6 yrs)
Thanks LTN Phobia - clearly a horrible situation all round. My heart goes out to the Japanese people dealing with this tragedy.

Please take care of yourself.
Old Mar 16, 2011, 11:17 am

Programs: BA GfL, Hilton Gold
On BA.com:

Between 17 March 2011 and 21 March 2011, flights to and from Tokyo Narita airport will be operating via Hong Kong.

Customers will stay on the aircraft during the short stopover in Hong Kong.

Flights to and from Tokyo Haneda airport continue to operate normally.
Assume this is so the crew will overnight at HKG and not NRT, but strange they wouldn't also do the same for HND

Edited to add that checking flight details on BA.com shows a very confused picture with both BA5 and BA7 going to Narita this weekend with a stopover

Last edited by Hedwig; Mar 16, 2011 at 11:24 am Reason: Changed flight status on BA.com
Old Mar 16, 2011, 2:32 pm

Stopovers on March 22nd as well now, which will increase journey times by up to 8 hours!
Old Mar 16, 2011, 2:41 pm

Programs: BA Exec
Crews that were due to operate the HND services (BA 7 & 8) are now overnighting in HKG along with crew originally due to operate the NRT service (BA 5 & 6).

Both crews will operate shuttles to NRT from HKG on their respective aircraft.

There will be no services to HND until further notice.
Old Mar 17, 2011, 1:57 am

Due to leave Tokyo on 24th. Why are flights going via Hong Kong now? What is the reason behind it?

Also was downgraded to economy from club on the outbound and awaiting someone at ba to release tickets in my fare bucket - it was an mfu from wt+. Doesn't look like it will happen. Any advice?
Old Mar 17, 2011, 2:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
Originally Posted by DG55
Doesn't look like it will happen. Any advice?
Pray for the people in Japan and reconsider your travel plans.

I guess they stop in HKG to allow crews to change in HKG so they can do a same day return and don't have to stay in Tokyo for a couple of days.
Old Mar 17, 2011, 2:13 am

Sorry that was very unclear. I was downgraded on the outbound which I had completed, and am wanting to be in club instead on the return on 24th. The return is currently in economy.
Old Mar 17, 2011, 2:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Is this an extreme tire point run. fly to Japan then get the evacuation flight out. There is nothing wrong with a simple trip to Las Vegas, gambling, booze girls. Sounds like much better excitement to me.
Old Mar 17, 2011, 2:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
Sorry that was very unclear. I was downgraded on the outbound which I had completed, and am wanting to be in club instead on the return on 24th. The return is currently in economy.
Oh, you are in Tokyo right now. I hope you are ok and that it wasn't/isn't too stressful. Apologies for misunderstanding. If you are in WT there is no way to upgrade to CW other than to pay for it. If you are in WT+ you will have to pray that upgrade availability becomes available. If you can you can chose to pay for an upgrade but that will be very expensive.

Just to be clear: you were downgraded from CW to WT (2 classes)?? That will get you at least 70% of your ticket price back. Involuntary downgrades entitle you to compensation even if they are MFU. Maybe you can do a deal with BA. Where is your BA account located?
Old Mar 17, 2011, 2:24 am

Programs: BA Blue, VS Silver
Due to leave Tokyo on 24th. Why are flights going via Hong Kong now? What is the reason behind it?
So crews do not need to spend an overnight in Tokyo. Fresh crew get on at HKG and operate the service to and from Tokyo and get back off at HKG.
Old Mar 17, 2011, 2:29 am

Hmm but they are telling me that they are looking into releasing more fares or something. It was an involuntary downgrade which I suppose is why they have acknowledged putting me in club on the return. My mmb shows two entries for the same flight at the moment. One confirmed in wt, one in cw but showing as 'for information purposes'.
Old Mar 17, 2011, 3:59 am

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
To be honest, I'm not surprised they're going via HKG. I don't think I'd be comfortable staying in Tokyo at the moment.

Apparently, they're trying to get engineers in to have a go at getting the power supply back online -if they can just get the cooling system started again, they can probably get a hold on the situation.

My thoughts are obviously with the families of the deceased and with all people in/connected to Japan at the moment -it must be very stressful with all the uncertainty.

One thing's for sure though -the Japanese will pull through this. Despite media scaremongering, I have every confidence that the Japanese government will get the situation under control; and knowing the Japanese culture, I know that people will pull together on an unprecedented scale to get things rebuilt, and learn the appropriate lessons.
Old Mar 17, 2011, 4:50 am

Location: All over the place often South Wales and Lake District
Programs: BA Gold for Life Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by IAMORGAN
To be honest, I'm not surprised they're going via HKG. I don't think I'd be comfortable staying in Tokyo at the moment.

Apparently, they're trying to get engineers in to have a go at getting the power supply back online -if they can just get the cooling system started again, they can probably get a hold on the situation.

My thoughts are obviously with the families of the deceased and with all people in/connected to Japan at the moment -it must be very stressful with all the uncertainty.

One thing's for sure though -the Japanese will pull through this. Despite media scaremongering, I have every confidence that the Japanese government will get the situation under control; and knowing the Japanese culture, I know that people will pull together on an unprecedented scale to get things rebuilt, and learn the appropriate lessons.
Half the problem is the blanket coverage which has created a morbid voyeuristic fascination. It will take some time to restart tourism there (as it is indeed in new Zealand following Christchurch) as people will assume it is not safe even after it is declared safe.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.