Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Major earthquake in NE Japan - Narita closed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Major earthquake in NE Japan - Narita closed

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2011, 1:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: Proud owner of 3 Mucci's (yes, 3!) the latest being Chevaliere des Bains Chauds, BA Silver (6 yrs)
Sky reporting a man swept out to sea in Northern California.
Old Mar 11, 2011, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by sunrisegirl
Sky reporting a man swept out to sea in Northern California.
CA will probably will end up losing up to 100.
Floods in various US States as well, especially East Coast where melt is combining with rain.

Japan will probably end up with 100,000+ lost souls.

Best not count bodies, SRG dear.
What's the count in Libya?
Not meant at all unkindly ... sh 1t happens.
Old Mar 11, 2011, 1:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: Proud owner of 3 Mucci's (yes, 3!) the latest being Chevaliere des Bains Chauds, BA Silver (6 yrs)
News reports indicate the tsunami still has to reach those desperately poor countries of Central America.
Old Mar 11, 2011, 4:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Just to be on the safe side they tend to err on the side of caution when these dreadful events occur. So quite rightly they put out alerts all over the place due to them just not knowing what might happen. Now looks as if the the danger is over for the countries mentioned.

The power in that surge of water was horrific to watch.
Old Mar 11, 2011, 4:32 pm

Programs: AARP
Howza bout Fleetwood Mac?
Old Mar 11, 2011, 4:41 pm

Programs: AARP
I have no idea how that message ended up on this thread and I apologize. In my defense I would only say that on 3 recent ocassions , I've ended up dealing with a site administrator going by the name of "amber" , who allegedly operates out of CA.

Apologies, again.
Old Mar 11, 2011, 5:37 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
NRT has verified that the runway and the terminal buildings are safe.

However, I think there may be one of the navaids out of order?
Old Mar 11, 2011, 5:44 pm

Programs: AA Gold, UA GM (ex 1K-lite), Priority Club Gold, Hertz #1 Gold, DL GM
A friend camped out at NRT on way back from TPE reports flights going out and two domestic planes landing at Narita this morning...
Old Mar 11, 2011, 6:46 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
The sentiments in the thread reflect the magnitude of the tragedy, but it strikes me that only on FT would you have a thread headlined - Major Earthquake - Airport Closed.
Old Mar 11, 2011, 7:23 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
NRT is open.

There is a major devastation in the northern area of Japan, sadly with around 1,100 people dead or missing - this is a current estimate that has been increasing quickly.

Transport situation in Tokyo is now reasonable (still very difficult to get a taxi) but Limousine Buses from/to NRT are not running, so if you are due to fly to/out of NRT, please bear this in mind.
Old Mar 12, 2011, 1:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Somtimes when events like this happen 24 news isnt so nice to watch.

I do note that once the airport has since opened, now UK citizens are being warned not to go to Japan.
Old Mar 13, 2011, 9:51 am

I'm due to fly to Tokyo 12 days from now (25/3) for a 2-week holiday, with a few days in Tokyo and then heading south/west to Kyoto and Hiroshima.

I can't work out if it's madness to go, or madness to cancel.
Old Mar 13, 2011, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dpark74
I'm due to fly to Tokyo 12 days from now (25/3) for a 2-week holiday, with a few days in Tokyo and then heading south/west to Kyoto and Hiroshima.

I dont think it would be fair to go. There still be problems with power. Most suppliers are allowing to cancel for free if you travel in the next few days. I am sure they are reviewing this as the situation develops. Also I think you need to talk to your family as well.
Old Mar 13, 2011, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
Originally Posted by dpark74

In my opinion it would be madness to cancel. Tokyo will be up and running by then and the South/West in not affected. It is not the size of Belgium, you know... Japan will gladly accept the foreign currency coming in. The worst thing to do to a struggling economy is to withhold your spending.

My guess is you will be alright. Hey, we have almost forgotten about Libya altogether.
Old Mar 13, 2011, 11:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by henkybaby
It would be madness to cancel. Tokyo will be up and running by then and the South/West in not affected. Japan will gladly accept the foreign currency coming in. The worst thing to do to a struggling economy is to withhold your spending.

My guess is you will be alright. Hey, we have almost forgotten about Libya altogether.
I agree....go.

LTN Phobia can advise you better as she is in Tokyo just now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.