Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LHR security and iPads

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2011, 2:44 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by csdavidson
Guess that makes sense. Might be hard to distinguish 2 laptops or a laptop and iPad on top of each. Suppose what harm does it do, adds maybe an extra few minutes at security.

Thanks.
That'll explain why when i travel with 2 laptops, at least 50% of the time, the security staff tell me to put them both in the same tray one on top of the other.
Old Jan 6, 2011, 3:04 pm

Programs: BAEC: SILVER. BMIDC SILVER
Another "Hands up who's got an IPad" thread.

It does seem strange seeing as a tablet is just a large smartphone, which can be popped in my jacket pocket which is subsequently sent through the scanner.
Old Jan 7, 2011, 4:15 am

Programs: BA Blue
Originally Posted by asimha
Glad to hear that however being based in GVA, I can assure you everything has to be taken out and they are very thorough which doesn't bother me, simply I am surprised that a US requirement is now applied only outside of USA
GVA are very efficient / stringent - but I once saw a man at security in front of me with a swiss army knife being found in his hand luggage and the attendant said to him 'Remember not to have this in hand luggage next time' and allowed him to take it through
Old Jan 7, 2011, 8:10 pm

Programs: ABBA
Originally Posted by WouldLoveToFlyFirst
GVA are very efficient / stringent - but I once saw a man at security in front of me with a swiss army knife being found in his hand luggage and the attendant said to him 'Remember not to have this in hand luggage next time' and allowed him to take it through
What can you do with a swiss army knife that you can't do with a smashed bottle of duty free?
Old Jan 7, 2011, 10:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: Mucci des tres pathetiques
Originally Posted by paulwuk
What can you do with a swiss army knife that you can't do with a smashed bottle of duty free?

File your nails? Rewire a plug? Peel an apple?
Old Jan 8, 2011, 12:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
AMS has had a long hard talk with the rentacops at the gates (they told me that) and they now are very insistent on taking out liquids again. They wanted me to repack it all in a plastic back and weren't satisfied when I simply opened my toiletries back. I refused politely and expected it to be in vain but oddly enough it wasn't... My mother who played along with them had to repack everything.

Not a word about the pad or reader. Not a word about anything at LHR or JNB.
Old Jan 8, 2011, 12:19 am

LHR made me take my iPad out of my bag this morning... first time ever but then again I only fly one or twice a month which is nothing compared to other people on this forum!
Old Jan 8, 2011, 2:31 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, MUCCI, Junior Jet Club.
LHR T5 South Fast Track this morning - Macbook Pro out, iPad in, through security no problem in less than 5 minutes.

Now having the egg and bacon sandwich from the menu in Galleries F which is probably the best breakfast item available in here IMHO.
Old Jan 8, 2011, 4:13 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by BahrainLad
LHR T5 South Fast Track this morning - Macbook Pro out, iPad in, through security no problem in less than 5 minutes.

Now having the egg and bacon sandwich from the menu in Galleries F which is probably the best breakfast item available in here IMHO.
What are you doing in the Galleries F lounge being only silver? If you're in booked F then surely you'd be in the Concorde Room?
Old Jan 8, 2011, 4:17 am
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
Originally Posted by Sherwood Hampton
What are you doing in the Galleries F lounge being only silver? If you're in booked F then surely you'd be in the Concorde Room?
Guest of a Gold perhaps....
Old Jan 8, 2011, 4:36 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by AJLondon
Guest of a Gold perhaps....
Good point, well presented. Or maybe he's forgotten to change his status on FT.
Old Jan 8, 2011, 4:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by BahrainLad

I'm here too! Back by the computers if you are still here.

I don't think I've never seen T5 so empty. No security queue at all when I walked through at 10:30am.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 7:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Genius1
I kept mine in the last time and the security chap took my bag aside after it had been scanned, opened it, took the iPad out, and put both the bag and iPad through the scanner again.

I didn't mind. If it prevents another 9/11, then I'm all for it.
Wow. I didn't realize an electronic device caused the 9/11 hijackings.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 7:22 am

Twice in T3 they made me take it out. I'll always take it out from now on.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 7:27 am
Suspended

Programs: UA/CO(1K-PLT), AA(PLT), QR, EK, Marriott(PLT), Hilton(DMND)
Originally Posted by irmster
left mine in my bag a few days ago at T1 without any issues.
This was my experience also at T1 on 12/29/10.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.