Wiki Posts
Search

LHR security and iPads

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2011, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
Originally Posted by halls120
Wow. I didn't realize an electronic device caused the 9/11 hijackings.
Google Maps to find their way?
Old Jan 11, 2011, 2:45 pm

Programs: BA
I weas told yesterday the policy at T5 has changed and iPads now have to be taken out. I asked why it wasn't on any of the signs... BAA's response? "Nobody reads the signs, so there's no point".

Pathetic.
Old May 1, 2011, 11:06 am

Programs: AC*SE, SPG Gold, HH D
Originally Posted by More Champagne Sir?
I weas told yesterday the policy at T5 has changed and iPads now have to be taken out
Any word on if they'll make you take it out of a protective covering as well as out of your hand luggage? I have mine in a BookBook case, heavier than the standard Apple version, and I really don't want to wrestle with taking it out of the packaging along with the rest of the hassle of going through security.
Old May 1, 2011, 12:27 pm

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Accor Plat, Pucci Fan Club
I have mine in a thick leather wallet and I have not been asked to take it out of the wallet at T5 or anywhere else.
Old May 1, 2011, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
We both offered to present our Kindles at LHR last week ... offer was declined. So what IS the policy on small electronics? Does size really matter?
Old May 1, 2011, 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by oxtailsoup
I have mine in a thick leather wallet and I have not been asked to take it out of the wallet at T5 or anywhere else.
+1
Old May 1, 2011, 3:57 pm

Programs: BA, OZ, A3, VA, VS, DL, QF, former BD and others
Mine is in an apple cover and each time I just take it out of my bag and leave it in the apple cover and it has been fine.
Old May 1, 2011, 4:49 pm

Programs: BA Gold
At LGW my BlackBerry is swabbed thoroughly every time I go through security. Sometimes they are very polite about it, and other times they grab it straight out of the tray and huff at me... Over the last year, when I have flown from LGW (about 10-15 times) it has been swabbed!

I am getting a new BB tomorrow so let's see if the same happens to that one!
Old May 2, 2011, 3:44 am

Programs: BA Silver, Club Carlson Gold, IHG Gold
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

Have always likened my iPad to a laptop and so have always removed at security at all airports and no issues.
Old May 2, 2011, 4:02 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC Silver, Scandic 3rd Floor, PC Pleb, FB Off White, Tufty Club
Originally Posted by T8191
We both offered to present our Kindles at LHR last week ... offer was declined. So what IS the policy on small electronics? Does size really matter?
The only place I have had to remove my Kindle from my bag was Keflavic, and there they wanted every single electronic item out of the bag into a tray. My bag was pretty light afterwards...

So I've never had the Kindle singled out for removal.
Old May 2, 2011, 4:17 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum, HH Diamond, Hertz PC,
Originally Posted by T8191
Guidance is not clear:

http://www.heathrowairport.com/porta...57e120a____/#6

Can I take electrical items such as an MP3 player, a portable DVD player and a laptop?

Yes, there are no limitations on electrical items. Be aware, though, that we will ask for items to be removed and screened separately.

Laptop computers and large electrical items must be removed from hand baggage and placed in the trays with other belongings.
So looks like screening will be on a case by case basis or as the individual security agent thinks.
Old May 2, 2011, 5:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
I think all you'll find is that it's entirely inconsistent.
Old May 2, 2011, 7:03 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by LHRFlyer
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

Have always likened my iPad to a laptop and so have always removed at security at all airports and no issues.
You're lucky, at many UK airports you get barked at if you take it out and told to put it back in your bag (ie GLA). And at others, you get told to take it out if you leave it in (ie LHR & LCY).

Conclusion ... if you travel with a ipad, just be prepared to get it wrong as you can never remember which airport applies which rule.
Old May 2, 2011, 7:49 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, Priority Club Blue, SPG Gold, Sofitel Gold, FB Ivory, BA Blue
Well, if you do get asked to remove you iPad at LHR, I believe this information applies:

Old Jun 14, 2011, 6:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Forgot an iPad in my bag this week at LHR and got the (slightly) angry look, followed by a quick re-screening. I had connected from LYS where they don't give a hoot about iPads.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.