Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mixed Fleet Is All About YOU, customers.

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2011, 1:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA LTG + GGL, SPG LTP, HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by AYellowBelly
The response from the stewardess (the same one that had woken me up twice) was, and I quote, "red or white". I'm pretty sure everyone could determine that from the two bottles clearly visible on the trolley.
I've had that response from all the fleets on BA I think - both as a joke which then gets clarified and, sadly, as 'the' response. I've had both good and bad MF experiences by now, but for the record this one isn't MF-specific!

I flew with one of the training CSMs recently - a thoroughly nice chap and extremely dedicated. He spent a lot of time in F chatting with me and some other passengers. Feedback, feedback, feedback - that's pretty much what he said. If you don't feedback examples to BA in a constructive way, things can't get passed on and improved.
Old Sep 19, 2011, 2:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC: Silver - Marriott: Titanium
Originally Posted by Dan72
I do wonder whether they also use the Kiev route for new crew's first flights. It's a longer flight, so gives the crew time to get it right and learn a bit on the job, as was the cae on my most recent KBP flight.
This is usually the case... When I joined BA, my first flight was a Moscow... So, it would either scare me away and I would leave, or I would get it all in one go...

But in all seriousness, yes... We are usually put on some longer sectors on our first days flying, so, as you point out, we get get to grips with things. No point putting us on a MAN or CDG where we just stand there wondering what to do and getting in everyones way etc...
Old Sep 20, 2011, 10:50 pm

Programs: BAEC G/*O E
Originally Posted by BingBongBoy
But in all seriousness, yes... We are usually put on some longer sectors on our first days flying
Oh, that explains a whole lot to me - I've always been wondering why younger members of crews on MH routes are always extremely enthusiastic on the outbound leg and seem completeley knackered on the inbound. Never realized this might well be their very first experience in the job.
Now that I know I promise to give my full attention to safety instructions on such BA routes. I appreciate it must be bloody discouraging (especially to a newby) to do these demos while nobody on board pays attention.
Old Sep 21, 2011, 3:12 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
I flew CE to Kiev in July then ET to Kiev on Monday, returning today also in Y.
Looks like we flew on the same day!
I agree that the cabin crew were not at their best. I knew this would be the case based on the 'unwelcoming' welcome the CSM delivered upon boarding. I don't know how this person can motivate anyone when she is not motivated herself - I hope she simple was having a bad day and is a nicer/more attentive person otherwise.
I think it was the first day on the job for at least one of the girls in ET as she was clearly learning to do things on the spot (the guy was explaining how to do duty free etc.).
I agree that no one is asking whether you're going to eat anymore (I usually don't) and just hand you a tray (without even looking at you so they are suprised when you have not taken the tray).
As for the wine - it's either red or white so it's not like you have a great choice The new Spanish red is quite nice by the way.

I don't think there is really anything to complain about to BA. It's not the cabin crew were rude to you. As I said, I don't think they were the best but they were polite and pleasant enough. They may just be new. But I blame the CSM - with low load in CE she could have and should have been more present in ET.

Maybe your expectations were a bit higher after flying CE but ET is usually good enough. And sometimes BA only puts two members of teh cabin crew in ET (shame!) and poor guys just cannot cope with full load, so I would not expect too much from them when they have a whole plane to feed...
Old Sep 21, 2011, 3:46 am

Programs: Mucci de la Cuisine Aérienne du Réseau Courte Durée de British Airways
Originally Posted by Internaut
Or perhaps NRT...... I still don't know what Mixed Fleet is BTW. I've been pointed at web pages, read them and thought "fair enough," but I still don't know what, in essence, Mixed Fleet actually is. I know roughly how to spot Mixed Fleet (apparently, the Females of the species wear hats) but I'm still not really getting it in basic organisational terms......
Mixed Fleet is a new fleet that BA have set up on lesser terms and conditions and lower pay than the current WW and E/F cabin crew. They are called Mixed Fleet because they fly on both longhaul routes, on the 777 and 747, and on shorthaul flights, on the Airbus. All new crew will go onto this new fleet and it will steadily grow as other crew retire, leave or take part time.

AYellowBelly, You need to write in, you can do this on BA.com(contact us at bottom of page) and give your feedback. I personally feel that, that kind of service is shocking and as these crew are just out of training, very surprising. Whatever fleet it is, I always think you should feed back good and bad issues. Good things being fed back really makes crew feel motivated and bad things do need to be pointed out to BA, so that it can be addressed during training.
Old Sep 23, 2011, 7:02 am

Programs: BAEC
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Andriyko
Looks like we flew on the same day!
I agree that the cabin crew were not at their best...

...As I said, I don't think they were the best but they were polite and pleasant enough. They may just be new.
I was on this flight also. Thought this might be a good example to give some constructive feedback for that crew/mixed fleet if you can think of some examples?
Old Sep 24, 2011, 12:47 pm
No5

Originally Posted by Internaut
Or perhaps NRT...... I still don't know what Mixed Fleet is BTW. I've been pointed at web pages, read them and thought "fair enough," but I still don't know what, in essence, Mixed Fleet actually is. I know roughly how to spot Mixed Fleet (apparently, the Females of the species wear hats) but I'm still not really getting it in basic organisational terms......
NRT is very unlikely to be operated by the new CC who speak Japanese as the current ICC operate to the same agreements as WW. BA can't make them redundant either as it's against the law.

When NRT went from 2 x daily to 1 x daily some years ago BA wanted to utilise the NRT ICC on other routes from LHR but the union was against it. Instead the NRT ICC had to accept a part-time contract as BA were unable to make them redundant.
Old Sep 25, 2011, 4:21 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium
Complaint submitted... let's see what BA have to say.
Old Sep 25, 2011, 4:41 am

Thanks. That's what I thought. Without fail, I always make sure that my seatbelt is clearly visible and fastened at all times on the flight... namely because I don't like to be disturbed.
Like most airlines, BA make a point of saying to keep your seatbelt showing so they don't disturb you. The implication to me is that they want to leave you alone if you are sleeping. So, like you, I would be pretty fed up to have been woken twice. Maybe you could have asked the CC not to wake you, but that should only be belt and braces.

Quite right to give feedback to BA, especially if the CC was curt with othe pax.
Old Sep 25, 2011, 1:37 pm

Programs: British Airways Executive Club
I'm really sorry to hear that you didn't enjoy your flight with some of my colleagues on Mixed Fleet, and as has been encouraged by other members of the board (both other customers as well as colleagues on different fleets), please keep sending your thoughts back to BA - both well done emails, as well as constructive criticism.

I can tell you that the service you received is definitely not how we've been trained. All Mixed Fleet crew undergo a wine awareness course, so although we're not going to be sommeliers, you should at least be presented with the name of the wine, and if applicable the vintage and if you know it, the region. There's a distinct discouragement of using "red or white?" as it does not sound premium. Similarly, customers should be allowed to sleep and only woken up if their seatbelt isn't visible, although most regular travellers are good for keeping seatbelts visible and it is mentioned in the CSM's welcome announcement. I'm unsure why you were woken up for drinks and meals if you were clearly asleep, it isn't in the service standard to wake people. Menus are not always loaded as standard on Club Europe in certain bands, so this may be the reason that they weren't handed out on your flight to the OP saying no menus were presented.

Finally with regards to Japan, Mixed Fleet crew operate the Haneda flights and are specifically recruiting British citizened Japanese speakers as there are a high number of Japanese customers onboard. We won't be doing Narita as there are locally based "International Cabin Crew" who are technically Worldwide crew, and we do not work together onboard the aircraft (that sounds a lot worse than it is meant to, sorry). For the same reason, Mixed Fleet is unlikely to do Middle Eastern destinations, Indian destinations, SIN, GRU and MEX where there are local crew bases. Apparently there's a base at Bogota from when we used to fly there, not sure what routes those crew do or if it still does exist but it came up in conversation the other day.

Anyway, please keep feeding back your experiences and happy flying!
Old Oct 1, 2011, 10:21 am

Got a pretty poor, substance-lacking response....

Dear Mr R
Thank you for writing to us about your recent flight to London Heathrow.
I am sorry to know that you were disturbed by our staff while you were asleep. I am also concerned to know that you found her to be rude. I know that this isn't the kind of service you would expect from British Airways and I do apologise.

We fully acknowledge we need to improve our performance in the way we deal with our customers. We want to offer a consistently polite and thoughtful service across our business. We have reported your complaint to the line manager so that it can be raised with the person concerned.
We really value your business and we want to do everything we can to make flying with us as pleasant as possible. Thank you for following this up with us and I do hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you on board again soon.

Best regards
[name removed]
British Airways Customer Relations

Last edited by AYellowBelly; Oct 1, 2011 at 10:46 am Reason: http://www.flyertalk.com/help/rules.php#q69
Old Oct 1, 2011, 10:27 am

you need to remove the employees name from your post ( and you might want to remove your own name !) ^
Old Oct 1, 2011, 10:46 am

Apologies. Done.
Old Oct 1, 2011, 12:06 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Sorry, but what were you expecting? I think this is a pretty good response. The problem acknowledged, action taken via the line manager and an apology... ^?
Old Oct 1, 2011, 1:12 pm

Programs: BA Gold. Kangorucci. NZGE.KLM Gold. VS gold
Not quite sure what you were expecting really: the crew member to be sacked or a free rtw ticket?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.