Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Long Haul Fleet [how will it change]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2010, 3:05 pm

Programs: Mucci. And BA Gold previous awards - Gold 11, Silver 7, Bronze 4.
Originally Posted by Phil the Flyer
Surbiton Flyer - aka 'Him Indoors' (of PUCCI GALORE fame)?
Only one post so far.... methinks Mr Pucci has cold feet. Come on, we won't bite!
Old Mar 22, 2010, 3:31 pm

I just dont see how a 787 or an A350 can replace 744's without cutting massively the number of passengers being carried and the lose of revenue and profit
Qantas, Emirates and Singapore Airlines all charge more for seats on the A380 - I guess BA will as well. The A380 has been designed for hub to hub high-density work, so I very much doubt if BA will ever have as many as 50! One A380 could, theoretically, replace 2 X B747's - I imagine allowing BA to merge with Iberia and American will be permitted only if BA gives up a few LHR slots so the introduction of A380's may allow some slots to be used as a bargaining chip.

Don't confuse losing passengers with a drop in revenue - a cut in capacity results in more demand which pushes fares up. That is what Bob Ayling was trying to achieve when he wanted to concentrate on First and Club sales. Unfortunately, he was misquoted as saying we didn't want "ordinary" customers - something he never actually said or meant!

Surplus capacity, caused by a glut of wide-bodied aircraft flying high-density routes, causes seat sales resulting in full aeroplanes but yielding little profit - hence the colossal amount of transfer business transacted at European hub airports.

Taking out the surplus with leaner, more efficient, more comfortable, more cost-effective aeroplanes is the key to sustainable revenue growth.
Old Mar 22, 2010, 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by Surbiton Flyer
LoL BA most probably won't exist in 15 years time so it doesn't matter - just think back 15 years and Pan Am and TWA were in similar place to BA today
Welcome to FT. What an excellent first post.
Old Mar 23, 2010, 3:24 am
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Originally Posted by Surbiton Flyer
LoL BA most probably won't exist in 15 years time so it doesn't matter - just think back 15 years and Pan Am and TWA were in similar place to BA today
Yes but both PA and TW suffered major crashes just a few years prior to their going under with PA103 and TW800. Notwithstanding they certainly each had financial difficulties at the time, it is generally accepted these crashes were not insignificant in their demise. This is not the case with BA
Old Mar 23, 2010, 3:37 am

Programs: No longer bothered chasing FF status.
Originally Posted by BOH
....This is not the case with BA
Sharp intake of breath

tut tut tut tut ..... tempting faith there BOH
Old Mar 23, 2010, 3:58 am

Programs: BAEC, Diamond Club
Originally Posted by kered
Sharp intake of breath

tut tut tut tut ..... tempting faith there BOH
tempting faith ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.