Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

LUX-LGW - Can I bring a tart in my hand luggage

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2010, 4:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: Etihad Gold

As in a 12 inch cake?
Old Mar 17, 2010, 4:48 am

Location: 15 minutes west of LHR, Stockholm, or somewhere inbetween.
Programs: BAEC Gold GGL, CCR, GfL, Mucci des Recherches des Consommations Exotiques.
I'd say, leave the old tart at home and pick up another one at the other end.

bjorns
Old Mar 17, 2010, 4:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That clearly is the kind of thing on which you are at the mercy of security staff. The ban extends to all items of a consistency similar to liquids, gels or pastes.

Coming back from a French airport, I was advised that andouillettes were, strictly speaking, not allowed but they let me through nonetheless. If andouillettes are not allowed, I would have thought that, a fortiori, tarts would not be allowed (unless you tart is rock solid), although, ultimately, the security staff may be more understanding.. A (dry-ish) cake, OTOH, would be more likely to fall on the right side of the divide.
Old Mar 17, 2010, 4:59 am

Programs: BA Gold - so flying too much again... plus AA, LX, VS and too many hotel programmes to mention
Originally Posted by bjorns
I'd say, leave the old tart at home and pick up another one at the other end.
She'd need a separate seat as she probably won't fit into the overhead locker...

Seriously though you may or may not get away with it. Others on FT report issues with foie gras in hand luggage as the security people didn't recognise it, then couldn't determine water content and therefore mistook it for plastic explosive.

On the other hand, they should not have a difficulty recognising a cake when they see one...
Old Mar 17, 2010, 5:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlyingDentist
Others on FT report issues with foie gras in hand luggage as the security people didn't recognise it, then couldn't determine water content and therefore mistook it for plastic explosive.
Strictly speaking, foie gras should not be allowed as it has a paste-like consistency (thick paste, admittedly, but paste nonetheless).

The question is not whether the item can be "recognised" as something known but the consistency it has. Clearly, there is a continuum between solid and liquid states and where to draw the line is pretty much at the security staff discretion.
Old Mar 17, 2010, 5:16 am

Programs: BA Blue, VS Silver
Agreed with NickBon this one.

I took a Thorntons Chocolate cake through T5, no problems at all.
Old Mar 17, 2010, 5:18 am

Apparently, "anything that can be smeared" counts as a "liquid" so it may depend on the firmness of your tart
Old Mar 17, 2010, 5:44 am

Programs: MUCCI Classe des Flatteurs Preferes, LH SEN, BA silver, IHG Gold, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by NickB

Coming back from a French airport, I was advised that andouillettes were, strictly speaking, not allowed but they let me through nonetheless.

I would say that you are better off leaving the andouillettes behind in France! Yuk! Never had any problem bringing proper British sausages through security at LHR and LGW.

With a tart I would say that it depends how much custardy and other liquidy type stuff it has on it. I think I have a vague recollection of seeing somebody having a problem with taking a traditional, fancy French style tart with creme patissiere and fruit decoration through security here.

Cheese through security at French airports seems to require 4 staff to peer at the unwrapped cheese, compare it against the receipt and then have a 5 minute debate about whether to let it through or if they fancy it to go with their lunchtime baguette.
Old Mar 17, 2010, 5:47 am

Location: AA Lifetime PLT , BA Silver , BD RIP , HH Gold, SPG / Marriott PLT , EF Subscriber
Can I have a Bag and a Tart on the same flight
Old Mar 17, 2010, 5:50 am

Programs: BA Gold; HH Gold; M&M; PS Classic; VV Silver (deceased); BD Silver (deceased).
Originally Posted by FlyingDentist
... they should not have a difficulty recognising a cake when they see one...
... or a tart.

BTW, if a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush is a tart in the hand worth more or less?
Old Mar 17, 2010, 6:00 am

Location: 15 minutes west of LHR, Stockholm, or somewhere inbetween.
Programs: BAEC Gold GGL, CCR, GfL, Mucci des Recherches des Consommations Exotiques.
Originally Posted by UncleDude
Can I have a Bag and a Tart on the same flight
Only if it is an old tart with an old bag.

bjorns
Old Mar 17, 2010, 6:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyingbee
I would say that you are better off leaving the andouillettes behind in France! Yuk!
I take it that you are not a great fan of cervelle d'agneau or tripes a la mode de Caen either, then? Love the stuff, although somewhat difficult to source these days (cervelle d'agneau, I mean).
Old Mar 17, 2010, 6:43 am

Programs: BA GfL, TK *G+
have taken a complete 'chesse cake factory' cheesecake on board before coming back from SFO, so you should have no problem. be prepared to share with the crew though
Old Mar 17, 2010, 6:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by where next
have taken a complete 'chesse cake factory' cheesecake on board before coming back from SFO, so you should have no problem.
No entirely sure that means much. It pretty much depends where you are flying from as to what local attitudes are likely to be on borderline items.
Old Mar 17, 2010, 7:30 am

I knew this thread was going to be fun as soon as I clicked on it...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.