Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Good Luck BA Cabin Crew

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2010, 7:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by NWAFA
No, I couldn't. I don't know if their union is inept. Apparently, most of the Cabin Attendants believe in their union. The last I heard, WW was only able to operate approximately 53% of BA's Saturdays departures. And this is only day one.

Updated: http://www.cnn.com/2010/BUSINESS/03/...ex.html?hpt=T2
Oh well if we're quoting CNN
Originally Posted by CNN
BA Chief Executive Willie Walsh has said the airline will be leasing aircraft and using replacement workers to achieve his goal of completing 65 percent of scheduled flights.

As of Saturday morning, 161 of BA's 347 flights at London's Heathrow, Gatwick, and City airports had been canceled. That means the airline was only able to operate about 53.7 percent of its flights out of London Saturday, short of Walsh's goal.
However Mr Walsh has never as far as I am aware said that he was going to run 65% of planes, he did say BA plans to fly 65% of passengers during the strike which is a big difference.

And with regards to the ballot the Grauniad reported that:

Originally Posted by Grauniad
The poll saw 81% of cabin crew backing strike action in a row over staffing cuts and proposed changes to working conditions, on a turnout of 79%. The Unite union did not announce any strike dates, but a walkout can be staged within 28 days.
So of the 81% who voted, only 79% were in favour of strike action which makes the total percentage those crew in the union who voted in favour of a strike to be 64% I believe (unless my maths is totally wrong).

Last edited by Jimmie76; Mar 21, 2010 at 9:19 am
Old Mar 21, 2010, 9:15 am

Why can't the people who are supporting the crew have one thread where they can say positive things about us, why can't posters use one of the many other thread to moan?
Old Mar 21, 2010, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by Read between the lines
Why can't the people who are supporting the crew have one thread where they can say positive things about us, why can't posters use one of the many other thread to moan?
Because FT doesn't work that way, and it would be less fun.
Old Mar 21, 2010, 9:46 am

Originally Posted by mr_red_dwarf
Good luck to those that are prepared to stand up for what they believe in. IMHO the people at the top of many businesses in the UK are now trying to ride roughshod over their workforces (whilst still creaming in huge amounts of cash for themselves) and it was only a matter of time before the workers said 'enough is enough'
Even MORE so in the US!!! My industry (I.T.) had been decimated by cheap Indian labor who , thanks to absolutely no unions for IT workers, have been allowed to steal jobs as IT professionals when they can barely turn on a PC!!! (I kid you not!!!!)

Unions unfortunately may be badly run in a lot of ways but I have seen what happens when they don't exist.

People don't strike just because they feel like it!! They are fighting for decent work conditions and salary. Follow the money!!!

All the very best to every striking worker. AA are probably going to strike next and as much as it will impact me in a big way, they have my full support. We need to get back to the idea that your workers are your assets , not a money drain!!!!
Old Mar 21, 2010, 10:07 am

Can I ask the mods to keep this thread for positive comments to crew taking IA. Thanks
Old Mar 21, 2010, 10:12 am

Programs: Mucci Entry Level, BA Gold, EK Pleb, SK Pleb, QR Pleb
Can I ask the mods to keep this thread for positive comments to crew taking IA. Thanks
That is not the subject of the thread. If you wish to have a thread where you request it should be limited to only positive comments, start one. You as a thread starter set the subject. You can then report offtopic posts.
Old Mar 21, 2010, 10:37 am

You join FT today and currently have 9 posts and you have the audacity to tell the Mods on the BA Board what to do.

I take the title to mean - Good Luck to Cabin Crew who are supporting BA
Old Mar 21, 2010, 11:17 am

Programs: Mucci Petit Four de Pucci, RedVee's Navigator Badge, BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by quitecontrary
You join FT today and currently have 9 posts and you have the audacity to tell the Mods on the BA Board what to do.

I think all cabin crew, striking or not, believe they are supporting BA and, in that sense, everyone is on the same side. That I think is the thrust of the thread - looking forward to a time when this is behind us. ^
Old Mar 21, 2010, 11:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by quitecontrary
Well I wanted to wish good luck to strikers and workers, I happen to know cc in both camps and respect the different decisions they have arrived at, but I'll be at LHR/Bedfont tomorrow supporting the strikers!
Old Mar 22, 2010, 5:09 am

Location: 15 minutes west of LHR, Stockholm, or somewhere inbetween.
Programs: BAEC Gold GGL, CCR, GfL, Mucci des Recherches des Consommations Exotiques.
There is a lot of sympathy for BA CC here, however, support for BASSA/UNITE is in short supply here as it is among the majority of the British public.

BASSA/UNITE have represented their members very ill, very ill indeed.

bjorns
Old Mar 22, 2010, 7:53 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
OT - but this is BA Forum - I would like to thank the passengers who made my last trip so easy. I had been dreading what we might have with the upgraded catering (excuse my sarcasm) and other service enhancements.

The ones I had were lovely. They were supportive (one in F said that he had been offered the best class on what used to be a lovely US carrier - no I shall not say but it was not AA or CO). He told me that he would have prefered to sit down the back with us. He probably says that to all the girls but we lapped it and him up and poured off the aircraft at destination.

We were absolutely on time away from LHR which I suppose is the only silver lining in the cloud - there are so many less flights everyone gets to the runway so much quicker!
Old Mar 22, 2010, 9:38 am

Programs: Mucci Petit Four de Pucci, RedVee's Navigator Badge, BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
I would like to thank the passengers who made my last trip so easy. I had been dreading what we might have with the upgraded catering (excuse my sarcasm) and other service enhancements.

The ones I had were lovely.
Good to hear and evidence that support for CC is there, even if not for the strike. Hopefully CC returing to work from the strike will get the same good treatment.
Old Mar 22, 2010, 9:51 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Perhaps because on FlyerTalk, people are generally more supportive of those who want planes to fly? Just a thought.
Old Mar 22, 2010, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As noted, this thread is for the expression of sentiment and not for a discussion of the strike. That is covered in detail in several other threads on the front page and linked in the forum announcement.

Thanks

Swanhunter
Moderator, BAEC
Old Mar 22, 2010, 10:45 am

Programs: BA GGLfL
Good luck to the cabin crew who are doing their jobs and supporting BA and well done in not having been lead down the garden path into disproportionate industrial action by hopeless union management.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.