Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amex & BA Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2010, 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by londonLHR
Hi

I've seen a few mentions of the PayPal card, as a method of getting points. Can someone explain to me hat the method (not the Paypal card) is?

(I know about the PayPal card, just wondering how people use if in the context of generating miles)
Use your BA Amex to top up the card.
Old Apr 21, 2010, 12:59 pm

Can I be a pain and bump this?

Palmer...

Originally Posted by Palmer
I decided to muse through this thread last night after skipping over it for the best part of the year. This thread is hardcore! Unfortunately, it got me thinking and now I'm confused. I'd be grateful for some clarity to the following...

1. If a 2-4-1 voucher is generated (and not spent) and I move my BAEC account to Europe then I assume that the voucher becomes unusable and possibly void. Is this correct?

2. If the voucher is unusable during the time my account is in Europe (and not void) then I assume that once my BAEC account returns to the UK then I can use the voucher - provided it is within the expiry period of the voucher?

3. If I book flights using the voucher then do I have to keep my BAEC account UK based until after the journey or can I book and then immediately return the account to Europe (6 month address restrictions allowing) prior to taking the flights?

I hope this makes sense! Thank you in advance.

Palmer
Old Apr 25, 2010, 3:03 am

Programs: BA Blue, Marriott Rewards Platinum Elite
Could anyone clarify, if I have a BA Premium card and purchase a $1000 MR gift card, would I be charged a currency conversion fee?

I have noted the 2.99% conversion fee quoted but had read somewhere that if the conversion is USD then no fee applies?
Old Apr 25, 2010, 3:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
No, you pay the 3%. YOur confusion is over Amex's T&C's for currency conversion which are confusingly written.
Old Apr 26, 2010, 5:45 am

Programs: Virtuoso, Marriott Stars/Luminous, Hilton Impresario, IHG Luxury & Lifestyle, Hyatt Prive etc
Bit confused...

Used by BA Amex to top up a Paypal card for first time: £45 topup and £4.95 fee. However only around £47 has been taken from the AMEX. Now I'm not complaining but does anyone know why it didn't take £49.95?
Old Apr 26, 2010, 5:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by price123
Bit confused...

Used by BA Amex to top up a Paypal card for first time: £45 topup and £4.95 fee. However only around £47 has been taken from the AMEX. Now I'm not complaining but does anyone know why it didn't take £49.95?
Did you have any cash on your Paypal account? It may have used that and took balance from Amex?

Tried to top mine up this morning and only getting eCheques as an option. Odd!
Old Apr 26, 2010, 8:21 am

Programs: Virtuoso, Marriott Stars/Luminous, Hilton Impresario, IHG Luxury & Lifestyle, Hyatt Prive etc
Originally Posted by Shuttle-Bored
Did you have any cash on your Paypal account? It may have used that and took balance from Amex?

Tried to top mine up this morning and only getting eCheques as an option. Odd!
Ah ok. That makes sense but it's a bit annoying. Is there anyway to stop it doing that?
Old Apr 26, 2010, 8:28 am

Programs: BAEC
Ah ok. That makes sense but it's a bit annoying. Is there anyway to stop it doing that?
Not that I'm aware of. I've fallen foul of that a few times and it is annoying. One of the reasons I keep the balance zero'd
Old Apr 26, 2010, 8:36 am

Programs: BA Silver
not that i could see
so make sure nil balance in your account
Old Apr 26, 2010, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
Council tax: PayPal card rejected online, accepted by phone

Just in case others have the same odd policy as Barnet Council: payment by credit card (no AmEx, of course) 1.8% surcharge, payment by Visa and MC debit card no surcharge.

See what's missing? Yes, Visa Electron, which apparently includes the PayPal Top Up Visa card. OK for HMRC and other official bodies but not for Barnet Council.

A phone call establishes that no, they don't accept Visa Electron online, but yes, they do accept it by phone. So I do (indirectly) earn miles on my council tax payment after all.

If your council is as antediluvian as Barnet, it may be worth giving them a call.
Old Apr 28, 2010, 8:29 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire
Quick question about this Paypal top-up card.
Can I top it by 2000 pounds today (april) and then on Monday (may) an another 2000 pounds?
Do I have to wait 30 days between to top ups or are they per calendar month?
Old Apr 28, 2010, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No, because there is also the 1000 per week (which is any consecutive 7 days) limit.

Month is a calendar month, just to confuse. And year is calendar year.

You can do £1k today, another £1k next Wednesday (from the May allocation), another £1k a week later (your 2nd May allocation) and then nothing else until June.
Old Apr 28, 2010, 10:18 am

Programs: Just a lowly Blue ;(
I think the last two posts have confirmed my question but thought I would ask anyway.

My understanding is that the most you can "charge" your card with is £1000, is this true?

I.e. I cannot put £4000 on my card as a total over a period of time?
Old Apr 28, 2010, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You can charge the card as high as you want up to (I think) £10k. However, you'd be pretty barmy to keep much of a balance on it given the lack of interest and the hassle of stopping the card and getting the money back if it was lost / stolen.
Old May 3, 2010, 10:12 am

I have just discovered that it is possible to get an additional card on your BA Amex credit card account, to separate business and personal expenditure, in the same way in which you can on the Platinum charge card.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.