Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amex & BA Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2010, 4:26 am

Originally Posted by pazza2000
Just to confirm, it has been confirmed that the paypal card can 'now' be used to pay off the AMEX balance (in a different thread though for some reason??)

Anyway, this makes it the perfect easy cycle. Effectively £5 for all to trigger the AMEX 2-4-1 voucher if your day to day spending does not do the job. No need for Zopa, online shares or in my case premium bonds.
You have been able to trigger 241 for free for ages, by booking a fully flexible flight and cancelling after your statement date.
Old Jan 29, 2010, 4:27 am

Originally Posted by Raffles
Having looked at the T&C's for this card, it seems that Membership Rewards Express runs totally separately to the 'normal' MR programme. I don't think points can be merged.

For example ... if you don't earn 5,000 points in a year, you forfeit all your points. And the only redemptions you can do are to convert 5k into a £25 shopping voucher. You cannot redeem for the usual range of MR gifts.
Thanks Raffles. I did look at the T&Cs but completely missed this bit!
Old Jan 29, 2010, 4:31 am

Programs: BA
It is more complex than that. Amex's IT system is simply incapable of picking up the difference between a Paypal cash transaction and a Paypal purchase, unlike Visa or Mastercard who have no problem at all. They are almost certainly trying to fix it anyway as it is a far broader issue that this.

By the way ... Amex doesn't know you're paying your bill with a Paypal Top-Up Card. All they see is a payment from a Visa debit card to settle some purchases made through Paypal.
Amen to that. A Paypal card each for Mrs BiH and I, 10 £1k transactions over 2.5 months resulted in a 2-4-1, BA miles and a circuitous was of paying part of my tax bill by Amex.

(Worry not Raffles, the rest is going on my BMI Mastercard, I just needed the 2-4-1 in a hurry!)
Old Jan 29, 2010, 4:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by badgerdirect
They seem to have been removed immediately where I've had a refunded item recently.
So I assume if you have already used them (i.e. transferred to miles, or a purchase etc) they will just place you in a negative balance?
Old Jan 29, 2010, 5:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
This is because of a subtle change in the rules (I think) You now earn points based on every full £ per transaction, so a £2.99 purchase is only 2 points. I think historically it was based on your total monthly spend, so a £2.99 transaction earned 2.99 points.
At one time they used to round up Membership Rewards points (like they still do with BAA Worldpoints) so £2.50 - £3.49 counted as 3 points. Now Amex takes the Clubcard approach and always round down.
Old Feb 1, 2010, 4:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Shuttle-Bored
I'll contact our erstwhile mods and ask them kindly to do the necessary
Job done
Old Feb 1, 2010, 5:06 pm

With a 2 4 1 voucher and a household BAEC account does the voucher holder have to fly or can the others on the HH account use it?

Also just found out the authorised transactions on your card are worked out in USD then as its posted its put back into pounds, no currency conversions actually occur. Just today I had my available credit at GBP1 and I know I nearly maxed my card, booking more tickets but I did not think I was that close.

Joejet
Old Feb 2, 2010, 4:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by joejet
With a 2 4 1 voucher and a household BAEC account does the voucher holder have to fly
Yes.
Old Feb 2, 2010, 4:20 am

Help please!

Has anyone ever had their 241 manually activated? And if so, how long did it take?
Old Feb 2, 2010, 6:02 am

Originally Posted by baggageinhall
Amen to that. A Paypal card each for Mrs BiH and I, 10 £1k transactions over 2.5 months resulted in a 2-4-1, BA miles and a circuitous was of paying part of my tax bill by Amex.
Just to confirm, a supplementary card can be used with a paypal card in that persons name with no issues?
Old Feb 2, 2010, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Don't see why it would be a problem. The name on both cards would match. Amex supp cards also have a different number to the main card, unlike MBNA supp cards.
Old Feb 2, 2010, 3:49 pm

Programs: Mucci. And BA Gold – previous awards - Gold 11, Silver 7, Bronze 4.
Statement problem

On my most recent statement (the PDF one online) there is no record of how much I have spent towards my £10k to trigger my 241. It was OK in December (and all previous months) but not in Jan.

Anyone else had this problem?
Old Feb 2, 2010, 4:06 pm

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by pazza2000
Just to confirm, a supplementary card can be used with a paypal card in that persons name with no issues?
Don't see why it would be a problem. The name on both cards would match. Amex supp cards also have a different number to the main card, unlike MBNA supp cards.
I have a BA Amex and the wife has a supplementary card on the account.

I was able to top up my PayPal top-up card with my Amex.

She was able to top up her PayPal top-up card with her supplementary Amex.

We were not able to top up each other's PayPal accounts with our own Amex cards. (I did this as an experiment, there was no need!)

The bottom line is that with a supplementary card and two PayPal top up cards, you can 'move' £4k per month from your Amex account and therefore trigger a 2-4-1 in 2.5 months.
Old Feb 3, 2010, 2:21 pm

Programs: Mucci. And BA Gold – previous awards - Gold 11, Silver 7, Bronze 4.
Originally Posted by BA or bust
On my most recent statement (the PDF one online) there is no record of how much I have spent towards my £10k to trigger my 241. It was OK in December (and all previous months) but not in Jan.

Anyone else had this problem?

Now finally had an answer from Amex that basically says they are currently experiencing some technical issues which are causing some of the miles and Companion Voucher information to be displayed incorrectly.

The Amex 'poor IT systems' bug strikes again!
Old Feb 3, 2010, 6:24 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by BA or bust
Now finally had an answer from Amex that basically says they are currently experiencing some technical issues which are causing some of the miles and Companion Voucher information to be displayed incorrectly.

The Amex 'poor IT systems' bug strikes again!
Try this
https://www99.americanexpress.com/my...s/emea/action?

On the right hand side you will see

Your Companion Voucher Status
Earn a reward flight for your companion* by spending** £***** on your Card by ***.

So far, you have £****of qualifying spend, so spend just £****to receive your voucher.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.