Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amex & BA Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2010, 8:28 am

Originally Posted by pazza2000
Intersting. So i would not have to make my 2-4-1 booking before i cancel the fully flex tix? The CV is never taken back or frozen? Am i correct in thinking the miles are not taken back either however you effectively owe them to AMEX? My limit is £2.5k, i may get a small increase if requested and then if i overpay it by say £2.5k each month i could put through £10k across 2months(August/Sept). Glad i am thinking about this now... always assumed availability in F would be fine(>LAX) although i now realise i will have to be quick.
Also... is there any cancellation fees what so ever with a fully flex booking?
Old May 27, 2010, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Online, no

The snag with your plan is that you will end up with a big credit on your BA Amex which they may not want to repay, although I'm sure they'd send a cheque eventually if you badgered them enough.

Not sure why you are worrying, though. Assuming you've got the Premium Plus card and want to book for July / August next year, you won't be booking until Aug / Sep this year. This is 3 months away which would let you put through £6k of PayPal card drawings and you'd presumably be at the £10k limit by that point. If you've only got the basic card, you'd be better off paying the £150 fee and upgrading the card.
Old May 27, 2010, 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by Raffles
Online, no

The snag with your plan is that you will end up with a big credit on your BA Amex which they may not want to repay, although I'm sure they'd send a cheque eventually if you badgered them enough.

Not sure why you are worrying, though. Assuming you've got the Premium Plus card and want to book for July / August next year, you won't be booking until Aug / Sep this year. This is 3 months away which would let you put through £6k of PayPal card drawings and you'd presumably be at the £10k limit by that point. If you've only got the basic card, you'd be better off paying the £150 fee and upgrading the card.
Thanks Raffles,

Yes i have the PP+, i have already earned a CV(my first) for this year. This is the 2nd CV needed for this trip i am concerned about. Its 4F seats i am looking for to W.Coast USA in July/Aug. My new PP+ member year starts Aug 22nd, and from some feedback i understand that to ensure availability for these 4 seats i should have it all booked before Christmas. If i can get a few £K through it in Aug, a good chunk in Sept and anything left in Oct then hopefully by the end of that month ill be able to book up.

Now...

Nieve me forgot the money would be refunded back on to the AMEX. Like AMEX, i also would not very keen on having a big chunk of my savings sitting on my AMEX which is not get 'pounded' too hard so to speak. Do you have any more info on this cheque refund scenario??
Old May 27, 2010, 1:12 pm

Programs: BAEC Blue, Priority Club Plat Amb
Originally Posted by hingethunder
Got a call from Amex last night to sell me payment protection insurance on my BA Amex card - if you take it out and keep it going for 90 days, you get 1000 BA Miles. Cost is a percentage of your monthly balance (sorry, wrote it down at home, can't remember the figure!). But I worked out based on my average balance this is not a bad deal (particularly if I spend on my new Gold card rather than the BA card for the next few months).
I had this phone call, IIRC it was approx £7.50 for a monthly balance of £1000.

My girlfriend was given the same offer. She has the BA Basic Amex card which she has only used once. She signed up for the offer, forgot about it until we saw the 1000miles hit a few months later.

She still hasn't cancelled it yet, but as she hasn't used the card it hasn't cost her anything.
Old May 27, 2010, 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by paul.goffin

My girlfriend was given the same offer. She has the BA Basic Amex card which she has only used once. She signed up for the offer, forgot about it until we saw the 1000miles hit a few months later.

She still hasn't cancelled it yet, but as she hasn't used the card it hasn't cost her anything.
Do you think you could call and request to take up this offer? I am barely using my card right now, putting all my spending on the Gold MR card.
Old May 27, 2010, 1:51 pm

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, Avis Preferred Plus, Amex Plat
Do you have any more info on this cheque refund scenario??
I had a credit balance on my Nectar Amex after a flight was refunded. They were perfectly hapy to refund my bank a/c via BACS, though it was only a few hundred pounds, not thousands.
Old May 27, 2010, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Nieve me forgot the money would be refunded back on to the AMEX. Like AMEX, i also would not very keen on having a big chunk of my savings sitting on my AMEX which is not get 'pounded' too hard so to speak. Do you have any more info on this cheque refund scenario??
No, sorry - never done it
Old May 28, 2010, 2:42 am

Originally Posted by mad_rich
I had a credit balance on my Nectar Amex after a flight was refunded. They were perfectly hapy to refund my bank a/c via BACS, though it was only a few hundred pounds, not thousands.
Thanks,

My thinking would be that they would be just as happy to refund thousands then. I assume they do not want you to be in credit, and the more so the more keen they are to offer you a refund. Only issue now is adding 'adittional' funds to my limit. I have did by hundreds in the past by 1) paying my balance twice by accident online and 2) sending a payment to amex through my bank branch(as i was unable to overpay online once the balance had been cleared.
Old May 28, 2010, 4:14 pm

Programs: BMI, BA, PC-gold,SPG
Originally Posted by paul.goffin

they've called both my hubby (at the start of the year) and myself (yesterday) for the payment protection. but neither of s could take it out as our balances at the time were over 4k, so over £30 in charges!! i asked them to call back after july when my 2-4-1 would be triggered and we would have a nil balance.i don't think we'll get the call in july
Old May 29, 2010, 3:27 am

Programs: Centurion, VS Gold, BA Gold
Just in case it catches anyone else out, today I couldn't book an open jaw 2-4-1 into St Lucia and out of Miami as the two airports are in different zones

Looked up the T&Cs for 2-4-1 and there was nothing there, but was referred to the general EC T&Cs which state:

"13.15. Award tickets are subject to IATA fare construction rules. Travel itineraries for Award bookings may start and end at different airports within the same country, or in different countries, provided the two airports are in the same zone. Outbound journeys may terminate at a different airport to the airport where the return journey starts provided the two airports are within the same zone. The different zones are listed in the redemption mileage calculator table on ba.com."

Grrr...: td:
Old Jun 1, 2010, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
The PayPal top up card has become more competitive

PayPal top up cards will be automatically renewed on expiry, thus saving the £4.95 fee. E-mail received today includes
Originally Posted by PayPal
... We will now automatically issue you with a new card shortly before your existing card expires ....

We won't charge you any fees for your new card, so your Top Up card will be renewed at no cost to you. You will receive your new card in the post shortly before your current card is due to expire ...
T+Cs have been amended.
Old Jun 1, 2010, 4:37 pm

Programs: BMI, BA, PC-gold,SPG
i read it as the new replacement would be free, but, call me sceptical i bet they mean the new card is free , however the £4.95 YEARLY FEE is still in place. so i'm not holding my breath, i know how pay pal play, and that's not fair!
Old Jun 2, 2010, 12:28 am

Originally Posted by Roger
PayPal top up cards will be automatically renewed on expiry, thus saving the £4.95 fee. E-mail received today includes
T+Cs have been amended.
Thats a god feature. You still have the one off initial payment on new applications though?
Old Jun 2, 2010, 12:59 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, HHonours Diamond, BA AMEX PremPlus
Thanks,

My thinking would be that they would be just as happy to refund thousands then. I assume they do not want you to be in credit, and the more so the more keen they are to offer you a refund. Only issue now is adding 'adittional' funds to my limit. I have did by hundreds in the past by 1) paying my balance twice by accident online and 2) sending a payment to amex through my bank branch(as i was unable to overpay online once the balance had been cleared.
pazza2000,

as the 241 issue process is no longer tied to statement date, if you were to go over the £10k threshold early in the month, the voucher would be issued then and there (a few days to process). If you subsequently had any refund activity, then your statement would reflect that, but the 241 would be unaffected.

Last edited by Teece; Jun 2, 2010 at 3:15 am
Old Jun 2, 2010, 2:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
Originally Posted by 99redballs
... the £4.95 YEARLY FEE is still in place ...
No, it's not, and never has been AFAIK.
Thats a god feature. You still have the one off initial payment on new applications though?
Yes, £4.95.

Current T+Cs are at http://paypaltopupcard.rbs.co.uk/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.