Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Strike ballot called: here we go [General discussion of BA industrial relations]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Strike ballot called: here we go [General discussion of BA industrial relations]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2009, 4:53 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club - Lowly Blue
Originally Posted by ian001
It seems completely pointless and utterly self-destructive to go ahead with a ballot pending a court case.
Originally Posted by jimcbob
it would look mighty silly to rush to strike when you've got a High Court hearing lined up...and you've conceeded that there isn't sufficient urgency for an interim injunction.
You two gentlemen have convinced me, with your impeccable logic, that BASSA will now undoubtedly go ahead and ballot for strike action.

BASSA are hailing today's court result as a big win, as they have "Won the right to have their case heard".

You couldn't make it up!

Lions represented by donkeys.

Last edited by Bellerophon; Nov 6, 2009 at 7:29 am
Old Nov 5, 2009, 5:59 pm

I also assume that CC who have opted for VR will still be leaving the airline shortly so if BA loses they have to recruit new crew to make up the old crew compliments??
Yes, they're all off. 3000 going part time too. So even if BA are forced to restore the current status quo they'll just do it by bringing in new fleet a lot faster. Kind of heads we win tails you lose.

If BASSA weren't xxxxing around with my friends livelyhoods I'd find it funny.
Old Nov 5, 2009, 8:03 pm

Programs: Mucci, BAEC Silver, Scandic 3rd Floor, PC Pleb, FB Off White, Tufty Club
Originally Posted by Bellerophon
Never a truer word spoken. How many of the BASSA leadership are full-time union employees? It always makes me laugh how some of these "militant" leaders are still quite happy to pick up their union salary while encouraging their membership to withdraw their labour...
Old Nov 5, 2009, 8:04 pm

Programs: AA GLD .25MM, CO, UA, US, DL, HH, SPG (all cardboard)
Originally Posted by Lobengula
I'm not sure that the UK government can save it as it would be against EU law.
They'll just reincorporate as British Alitalia and get 3-4 bailouts more.
Old Nov 6, 2009, 7:05 pm

Originally Posted by Lobengula
Anyones guess, I would assume that the risk is high as strikes within the airline business isn't exactly unusual.

But BA is deep into red figures, a strike can be the final blow. I'm not sure that the UK government can save it as it would be against EU law.

I admit, I don't know anything about crew workload. I assume that BA tries to enforce more workload and less payment compared with other airlines such as LH?

Thanks, Lobengula. I hope there's no strike, but if not, this might turn out to be interesting.
Old Nov 7, 2009, 12:53 pm

Programs: BA, LH, VS, Hyatt, SPG
Originally Posted by Bellerophon
You two gentlemen have convinced me, with your impeccable logic, that BASSA will now undoubtedly go ahead and ballot for strike action.

BASSA are hailing today's court result as a big win, as they have "Won the right to have their case heard".

You couldn't make it up!

On the court case itself, like the strike, I doubt it will actually happen. It won't be long before the new crewing levels bed in and any initial problems are ironed out, and those CC that opted to go part-time do so etc.

For all the talk from Unite and BASSA, they may not be so keen to pursue a court case when it dawns on them that they will have to give evidence before the court on how matters lead to imposition and be subject to cross-examination by BA's Counsel (which will all be subject to media reporting) and just how much a High Court case will cost in terms of legal fees.
Old Nov 13, 2009, 6:46 am

Is it likely that even if strikes do happen, that they will now be postponed until February due to the High Court case?
Old Nov 13, 2009, 6:55 am

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Originally Posted by ConcernedAboutMyFlights
Is it likely that even if strikes do happen, that they will now be postponed until February due to the High Court case?
No, the union rep following the last appearance in court stated the ballot would go ahead as planned.

WW stated on telly this AM that negotiations are still ongoing though, so action could still be avoided

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.