Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Galleries - How loud can you talk?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2009, 3:20 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1P, DL PM
In April after arriving into LHR on a flight from DFW I ended up following a group of intoxicated Texans into the T5 Galleries Club, who proceeded to sing what appeared to be some manner of Texan drinking song. Being from the US northeast, I found this rather foreign and generally mortifying.
Old Oct 16, 2009, 3:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Gaz
More than once I've been tempted to go and tell people "you RUINED our banking system, and now you're RUINING my morning when I'm trying to read the paper"
^
Old Oct 16, 2009, 3:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Blue, VS Silver
The GF is now very tranquil with just a murmur of people chatting, the odd keyboard tapping away .... bliss
Old Oct 16, 2009, 3:42 am
Original Poster

interesting ... the spot where the loud guys were sat must be contagious coz there is now a bloke sat there on his phone speaking loudly what sounds like a Scandinavian type language. He sounds a little like Swedish chef.
Old Oct 16, 2009, 4:06 am
Original Poster

oh noooooooooooooooooooooooooo - I have someone speaking very very loudly sat right next to me, he is literally shouting into his hands free.

- he needs to find his sister in 45 minutes ( i really hope it's sooner)
- something about a meeting in New Jersey etc...

Oh and he is from across the pond.
Old Oct 16, 2009, 4:32 am

Programs: BA EC Gold
Originally Posted by stut
Or, on one occasion in the Holideck lounge in T4, some negotiating tactics for investors dealing with a small company that a friend of mine was heavily involved in. A quick, quiet phonecall relayed that conversation to my friend, and we boarded while the negotiations were due to take place.
It never ceases to amaze me how many people relay - loudly - confidential or privileged information about their business in public. Truly.

Once I sat across from a gentleman in the SFO United Red Carpet Club as he offered a job to someone down the phone. He discussed salary details and everything, completely oblivious to the fact that about 10 people could hear him.

It amazes me how many of my colleagues have no problem discussing our business - costs, personnel issues, etc. - in coffee shops, trains, etc., where the whole world can hear. Truly amazing how clueless some people can be.
Old Oct 16, 2009, 4:33 am

Programs: BA EC Gold
Originally Posted by johnny5a
oh noooooooooooooooooooooooooo - I have someone speaking very very loudly sat right next to me, he is literally shouting into his hands free.

- he needs to find his sister in 45 minutes ( i really hope it's sooner)
- something about a meeting in New Jersey etc...

Oh and he is from across the pond.
Why don't you just say "Excuse me, could you please keep it down, or find somewhere else to speak? You're disturbing me."? This is a completely reasonable request to make in an airport lounge.
Old Oct 16, 2009, 4:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ajax
Why don't you just say "Excuse me, could you please keep it down, or find somewhere else to speak? You're disturbing me."? This is a completely reasonable request to make in an airport lounge.
I think you're right - i will ask him in a sec .... it's very loud, i could hear him from the toilets!
Old Oct 16, 2009, 4:42 am

Programs: BA Gold
It can work in your favour. I was sat in a lounge and later on the same aircraft as a rival team bidding for the same contract as I was bidding for. They had no idea who I was and (loudly) gave away vital information that I subsequently used to win the contract. It turns out that both companies had been invited to present their case on the same day and we ended up on the same flight.
Old Oct 16, 2009, 4:48 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond
Not to stereotype any nationality but I think you could probably guess what nationality these guests are .........

Answers on a postcard please.
Not to stereotype but there is a nationality who seem have a massive chip on their shoulders, an inferiority complex, and who display a xenophobia and inability to tolerate other nationalities characteristics. I think you could probably guess what nationality this is....answers on a postcard please.

Oh a further hint, this nationality tends to be very nosy and interested in everyone elses business.
Old Oct 16, 2009, 4:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ediYank
Oh a further hint, this nationality tends to be very nosy and interested in everyone elses business.
Unfortunately I would like to mind my own business but when it is blasting 3 feet away from your ear - it is virtually impossible to block out the conversation especially when I am streaming Radio 1 into a pair of headphones.
Old Oct 16, 2009, 4:58 am

Unfortunately I would like to mind my own business but when it is blasting 3 feet away from your ear - it is virtually impossible to block out the conversation especially when I am streaming Radio 1 into a pair of headphones.
I agree, I feel the same way when I encounter drunken chavs from a particular country when I travel around Europe and the World for that matter.

Can you guess the country ???
Old Oct 16, 2009, 5:03 am
Original Poster

I agree, I feel the same way when I encounter drunken chavs from a particular country when I travel around Europe and the World for that matter.

Can you guess the country ???
yeap, hence why i avoid going to those countries where those chavs frequent.
Old Oct 16, 2009, 5:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not to stereotype but there is a nationality who seem have a massive chip on their shoulders, an inferiority complex, and who display a xenophobia and inability to tolerate other nationalities characteristics. I think you could probably guess what nationality this is....answers on a postcard please.

Are you talking about the French.
Old Oct 16, 2009, 5:10 am

yeap, hence why i avoid going to those countries where those chavs frequent.
a shame as that will prevent you from going to any major British city ever

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.