Wiki Posts
Search

Galleries - How loud can you talk?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2009, 1:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Blue, VS Silver
Galleries - How loud can you talk?

Not sure if this has been covered but I'm sitting in the corner of GF and there are group of gentlemen who are sat opposite each other 2.5 metres gap.

They are about 7-8 metres away from me, I can hear ever work of conversation very very loud.

I was thinking it would be easier to get a small group of seats together so they do not need to speak so loudly.
Old Oct 16, 2009, 1:53 am

Programs: BA EC Gold
That is one thing which I have never been able to understand, when a person (on a mobile) or a group of people have a very loud conversation in an otherwise quiet environment (like a train carriage, or an airport lounge) and seem oblivious to the fact that they are disturbing everyone around them.

Maybe they don't care?

Maybe they want attention?

I feel your pain.
Old Oct 16, 2009, 2:01 am
Original Poster

Not to stereotype any nationality but I think you could probably guess what nationality these guests are .........

Answers on a postcard please.
Old Oct 16, 2009, 2:04 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Should I create a profile name "talkingloudlyingalleries" ?
Old Oct 16, 2009, 2:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sxc
And then proceed to say, yes it was me.
Old Oct 16, 2009, 2:08 am
Original Poster

oh .... it's all gone quiet .... ahhh they've left the building
Old Oct 16, 2009, 2:12 am

Programs: MUCCI
Originally Posted by sxc
It should be in CAPS though.
Old Oct 16, 2009, 2:15 am

I think everyone who buys, or is given, a mobile phone should be forced to go on a course to teach them that the electronics conveys the message and they do not have to shout in order for the other user to hear.
Old Oct 16, 2009, 2:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
I think that you are being a bit unfair.

When I was a boy I did a lot of singing and accordingly my voice carries well over long distances, even if I am talking quietly. These individuals may work in a loud environment and so be used to having to talk loudly. So even if you can hear every word I am sure that there is a good chance they are not doing it on purpose.
Old Oct 16, 2009, 2:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Or they may have a slightly hearing impediment and find if difficult to regulate their volume.

That said, it is still bloody irritating when you are in the wrong mood!
Old Oct 16, 2009, 2:36 am
Gaz

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, UA Gold
Originally Posted by Swanhunter
That said, it is still bloody irritating when you are in the wrong mood!
Quite, and said shouters are never talking about anything interesting that you'd actually want to overhear. It's always crashingly dull derivatives or some other mundane financial industry rubbish. The sort of conversation I've heard hundreds of times before in various airport lounges, yet those engaged in them always seem to think there's never been a conversation of more weight and importance in all of history.

More than once I've been tempted to go and tell people "you RUINED our banking system, and now you're RUINING my morning when I'm trying to read the paper"
Old Oct 16, 2009, 2:50 am

Programs: BA Gold; HH Gold; M&M; PS Classic; VV Silver (deceased); BD Silver (deceased).
Originally Posted by johnny5a
Not to stereotype any nationality but I think you could probably guess what nationality these guests are ......... Answers on a postcard please.
Postcard from Kyiv

If they were the same nationality as the loud-mouthed group of four who were in the Business lounge at LJU a couple of months ago then it would have to be somewhere in the English-speaking part of the southern hemisphere.
Old Oct 16, 2009, 2:55 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by heartybob
somewhere in the English-speaking part of the southern hemisphere.
My vote goes to "somewhere across the Atlantic"...
Old Oct 16, 2009, 3:04 am

Programs: Mucci. And BA Gold – previous awards - Gold 11, Silver 7, Bronze 4.
Originally Posted by BA Loyal
My vote goes to "somewhere across the Atlantic"...
So that will of course be a group of very loud residents from the village of Ituni in Guyana then...

Old Oct 16, 2009, 3:14 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Originally Posted by Gaz
It's always crashingly dull derivatives or some other mundane financial industry rubbish.
Or, on one occasion in the Holideck lounge in T4, some negotiating tactics for investors dealing with a small company that a friend of mine was heavily involved in. A quick, quiet phonecall relayed that conversation to my friend, and we boarded while the negotiations were due to take place.

After landing, I must admit to projecting my voice unnecessarily as I phoned up to ask my friend how the negotiations went, and if my overheard information was useful to him.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.