Wiki Posts
Search

Galleries - How loud can you talk?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2009, 3:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Blue, VS Silver
Originally Posted by Aus_Mal
Hey, I was in GF this morning at the same time. These guys weren't around the set of 4 computers (near the dining area) were they, because there were a couple of loud guys there. I think they were in the financial sector, although didn't look like bankers!

I arrived about 8:00am and departed GF about 9:45.
Could be because they decamped from the position near me around 9.30ish mark. Was one of them wearing what looked like a green workmans overalls!?
Old Oct 16, 2009, 3:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Blue, VS Silver
Originally Posted by onobond
I don't care, when the DYKWIA crowd gathers, the only help is if they are using mobiles:
http://www.phone-jammer.com/

When talking to themselves, without tech support, tell them off.
Yes I've seen an article about one of those, it was very good .. found it.

http://technology.timesonline.co.uk/...cle2889295.ece

I might consider getting one for use next time.
Old Oct 16, 2009, 3:28 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL & CCR
Originally Posted by Man_Utd_Fan
Yes they are called Liverpool FC fans lmao
Old Oct 16, 2009, 4:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
If you can hear another person's conversation word for word without listening intently, then they are talking too loudly. Simples.
Old Oct 16, 2009, 11:15 pm

Programs: Mucci Diamond Hairbrush Elite, AA Plat, BA Blue, and a host of others.
Originally Posted by sunrisegirl
Disappointing that the "let's hates the Americans" thing rears its ugly head again
hear hear (or is it here here?) let's hate someone else for a day or two.

In fairness I'm from America and there are times I hate Americans. I think it's just human nature. Most days I love my countrymen, some days intimately.

Once, my brother, his family and I were in Rome having a wonderful time and we stopped at the loos just outside the colosseum for a "rest". I didn't need to avail myself of the facilities so I was seated outside. I sat next to some other Americans who were chatting about the colosseum. One loud big haired lady with a Texas accent said "They really should fix this thing up. It looks awful." Those are the Americans I sometimes hate.
Old Oct 17, 2009, 1:37 am

Originally Posted by johnny5a
Could be because they decamped from the position near me around 9.30ish mark. Was one of them wearing what looked like a green workmans overalls!?
Can't remember now, but do recall them wearing clothes that looked very different to what I normally see in the lounge at that sort of time. Then again, I was dressed very casually (holiday trip) so people probably thought the same about me.
Old Oct 17, 2009, 5:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Originally Posted by johnny5a

Originally Posted by onobond
I don't care, when the DYKWIA crowd gathers, the only help is if they are using mobiles:
http://www.phone-jammer.com/

When talking to themselves, without tech support, tell them off.
Yes I've seen an article about one of those, it was very good .. found it.

http://technology.timesonline.co.uk/...cle2889295.ece

I might consider getting one for use next time.
The link you provided was entertaining.

The Finale hilarious:

I obviously wouldn’t join the jammers – I’m too law-abiding – but if any of you are going to Hong Kong in the next couple of months, I need a new flashlight.

And something that fries iPods would be nice, too.
(my bolding)

Now, what wine goes with Fried iPods with Jammers?

Old Oct 17, 2009, 6:33 am

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
Originally Posted by dfotn
hear hear (or is it here here?) let's hate someone else for a day or two.

In fairness I'm from America and there are times I hate Americans. I think it's just human nature. Most days I love my countrymen, some days intimately.

Once, my brother, his family and I were in Rome having a wonderful time and we stopped at the loos just outside the colosseum for a "rest". I didn't need to avail myself of the facilities so I was seated outside. I sat next to some other Americans who were chatting about the colosseum. One loud big haired lady with a Texas accent said "They really should fix this thing up. It looks awful." Those are the Americans I sometimes hate.
+1. Makes you cringe.

2-3 years ago I was in the CDG lounge and a loud gentleman from the continent was going on and on about what I cad "Boosh" was (hard to disagree ) Still I didn't want to get into a conversation, and when he (predictably) asked me if I was an American (based on my reading material I suspect) I said, "No, from Canada." Then he wanted to talk about Montreal and I said I was from Manitoba and had never been to Quebec.

Another time I caught a ~30 yo consultant blabbing in a hotel lounge on her mobile about some confidential company business. I waited for her to finish up to no avail, so instead I left my card with a note to call me on her table as I left. We had a nice chat the next morning.
Old Oct 17, 2009, 7:59 am

Programs: BA EC Gold
Originally Posted by pauleeepaul
+1. Makes you cringe.

2-3 years ago I was in the CDG lounge and a loud gentleman from the continent was going on and on about what I cad "Boosh" was (hard to disagree ) Still I didn't want to get into a conversation, and when he (predictably) asked me if I was an American (based on my reading material I suspect) I said, "No, from Canada." Then he wanted to talk about Montreal and I said I was from Manitoba and had never been to Quebec.

Another time I caught a ~30 yo consultant blabbing in a hotel lounge on her mobile about some confidential company business. I waited for her to finish up to no avail, so instead I left my card with a note to call me on her table as I left. We had a nice chat the next morning.
Why I find most interesting about human nature is how closely people identify - and are expected to identify - with their arbitrary national labels.

The gentleman in the CDG lounge expected you to identify with "Boosh", but the truth is that you probably have nothing more in common with "Boosh" than you do with the Dalai Lama. Just because you happen to hold the same passport doesn't mean you're the same person.

And as regards the woman from Texas, I would regard her as a Texan first and an American second.

A few years ago I dated a man from Greece. This was at the time of the terrible accident with the space shuttle Columbia (January 2003, I would guess). His response to this horrible occurrence was "The American people need to know - God is watching them and he is making them pay for their leaders.", as if there were any connection. Needless to say, we broke up shortly after that.
Old Oct 17, 2009, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Man_Utd_Fan
American ICBMs? I think your source is not well informed on that one.
Yes. American ICBMs. My source is an American mathematician who is an expert in modelling fires and not prone to make jokes.
Old Oct 17, 2009, 11:52 am

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
Originally Posted by dfotn
When all else fails, there's always schadenfreude. She must have been miserable in Rome.
Old Oct 17, 2009, 12:30 pm
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Oh dear I am not sure that I should let on about this or I will have the wrath of Adrianc32.

My Sister Rich Bltch and her children's Father (yes she is married to him but she runs the whole show - he worships her and he is filthy rich. The worse she gets the more he showers her with anything she wants. Where the hell did I go wrong? ) were in what she describes as that dear little club bar just by security in T5. (You know where I mean)

At some short distance was someone who was bellowing on his phone telling telling the world in general how clever and important he was.

Rich Bltch put up with that for about 15 seconds (according to the gene pool enricher) and said

"OI! Put a sock in it! I can hear you form here"

He glared and ignored her. A bad mistake. Big Daddy Do-Nuthin decided to make himself scarce as he could tell that all hell was about to break loose.

Rich Bltch rose up and shouted "OI CLOTH EARS (an expression my Mother was wont to use) I FEEL I'VE STUMBLED INTO YOUR BLEEDIN' OFFICE - NOW SHUT THE F**K OR THAT PHONE IS GOING DOWN YOUR FAT UGLY FACE"

He spluttered "How dare you don't"

"YOU KNOW WHO I AM?" MY SISTER HAS TO FLY POOR SAD PEOPLE LIKE YOU AND THAT'S WHAT YOU SAY AND THAT'S WHAT YOU THINK" CONTINUED RICH B*TCH" NO AND WHAT'S MORE I DON'T CARE. NOW BUGGER OFF SOMEWHERE ELSE AND BORE THE AR*E OFF THEM."

They ended up within 3 feet of each other. (Having seen her in action when the unsuspecting attempted to park while she was backing into a space and knowing that she had nearly smashed their car (" Relax darling" she said to me "What does Freddie pay all that insurance for Darling?") and showed that she was a true Graduate of the Billingsgate School of Language and Manners. I had no doubt what had happened. I suspect that the stems of various Champagne glasses snapped when that kicked off.

At this point in the confrontation RB thought that he might hit her. What he did not know is that those who have loads of money and loads of time don't just shop and lunch. RB went off to learn Karate and she was very good at it. The Club Bar (SIC) might have ended up the House of Flying Daggers. Mouth-and Trousers blinked first. RB never blinks she could see Lucifer down. He started gathering up his papers muttering about complaints and reprocussions and possible police action. Mr Rich Bltch was convinced that they would be slung out of the lounge and off the flight. Not a word except murmurings of "Quite right too" "takes someone to stand up to them"

Now I am not saying that sort of behaviour is anything other than quite shocking and I am wildly jealous as I would never have the nerve to throw my weight around like that. I am also mindful of the vast amount of money my Mother spent on her education as she was not Grammar School material so it was private with elocution lessons for her. Latin and Greek for me. (She married a millionaire and I married a policeman.) Anyway after making a complete exhibition of herself. as she swept down to the gate Gene Pool was just concerned that Mr Model For A Condom might be on the same flight. He was not as it turned out.

RB behaves impeccably on board. She is only afraid of her Big Sister's wrath so even she would not dare. I have regularly heard crew rave about Your Lovely Sister. She also flies BA exclusively.
Old Oct 17, 2009, 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
Oh dear I am not sure that I should let on about this or I will have the wrath of Adrianc32.
Wow, an impressive story. I suppose we should all stand up to the loud bellowers in various parts of our life (be they stupid ppl chatting about their sex life, or business ppl trying to tell everyone how important they are and which deals they are currently trying to make).

Unfortunately I belong to the group of "I'd post about it here", rather than challenge. Have already had one fist swung at me in the few months in London (a drug addled bloke who got rejected from a kebab shop - lol - "whatya looking at!" ), and unfortunately I think more of the same would occur if I was to challenge lounge lizards.
Old Oct 17, 2009, 1:11 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by Aus_Mal
I suppose we should all stand up to the loud bellowers in various parts of our life (be they stupid ppl chatting about their sex life, or business ppl trying to tell everyone how important they are and which deals they are currently trying to make).

Unfortunately I belong to the group of "I'd post about it here", rather than challenge.
Same here, unfortunately. But I sometimes, or often, wish I had the nerve to challenge them face to face. All I do is to glare at them a bit (and I don't even do a lot of that because I am a bit of a coward when it comes to confrontation).

There was a guy in a lounge yesterday who proceeded to have a loud conversation on the phone. I can usually cope for about 5 min of it. After that, I start glaring at them. After about another 10 min of loud conversation, I commenced glaring and he did bring down the volume when he eventually saw me and various other passengers glaring at him.

But the point is, I shouldn't even have to glare.

I wish there were a magical device that remotely wipes off the remaining battery off any nuisance devices (including iPod being played too loudly).
Old Oct 18, 2009, 3:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Sufficent supply of Rich Bltches with GALORE gene pool, together with a couple of phone jammers, is the solution...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.