Reload this Page >

Rio Olympics

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rio Olympics

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2016, 10:52 am

Brazil's Visa waiver for US, CA, and JAP tourists is great. Saves a bit of money. My friend still wants to get a Visa though since it's good for 10 years because she's afraid of issues getting there. I think she's being paranoid, no?

I bought a few tickets yesterday. I knew I wouldn't be able to get swimming or diving, the two events I really want, but we got a few decent ones.
Old Jan 8, 2016, 5:13 pm

Originally Posted by meraki
Brazil's Visa waiver for US, CA, and JAP tourists is great. Saves a bit of money. My friend still wants to get a Visa though since it's good for 10 years because she's afraid of issues getting there. I think she's being paranoid, no?

I bought a few tickets yesterday. I knew I wouldn't be able to get swimming or diving, the two events I really want, but we got a few decent ones.
Yes, she really is. Perhaps you can convince her just to print out the page of the Federal Government Gazette with the ordinance that instituted the visa waiver:
http://pesquisa.in.gov.br/imprensa/j...ata=30/12/2015
Old Feb 20, 2016, 8:26 am

Just curious on the likelihood of getting a refund from CoSport or the airline I bought my tickets from in case there is a travel ban for US citizens going to Brazil.

I'm not a woman so the worst that could happen to me if I get Zika is flu-like symptoms so I'll go regardless but I am traveling with a (not pregnant) lady friend who's getting worried about Zika when we go in a few months.
Old Feb 20, 2016, 10:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HHonors Diamond
Chances of a "travel ban" is probably next to zero. Too many countries have the zika virus. Worst case, IMHO, the CDC many issue a "travel advisory" advising that people not travel to the Olympics. Again, I believe the chance of that is very small.

Worst case, I believe the CDC or WHO will advise people to use caution when traveling to countries that have the virus (which they basically have). Airlines may, or may not, allow refunds or rescheduling. Right now, various airlines are offering refunds, reschedules etc - but each have their own requirements ranging from a straight refund to a refund / reschedule only if you or a companion are pregnant.

For CoSport to give a refund, the games would, again in my opinion, need to be rescheduled/ cancelled - which will probably not happen.

I believe the bottom line is that if the spread of the virus gets worse, you may get your airline fees/ mileage back but that is about all. Tickets you will need to try and resell and you will be SOL on hotel costs.
Old Mar 9, 2016, 7:22 pm

Will Olympic sailing events take place in a “giant sewer”? France24 article
Old Mar 9, 2016, 8:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by meraki
Just curious on the likelihood of getting a refund from CoSport or the airline I bought my tickets from in case there is a travel ban for US citizens going to Brazil.

I'm not a woman so the worst that could happen to me if I get Zika is flu-like symptoms so I'll go regardless but I am traveling with a (not pregnant) lady friend who's getting worried about Zika when we go in a few months.
You don't only need to worry for yourself, you need to worry about your female friend. It has been proven that the Zika virus can spread through sexual intercourse.
Old Mar 9, 2016, 9:10 pm
Suspended

People should not be so foolish to go to the Olympics in Brazil. The huge amounts of people make it a health and safety threat, with Zika, drug violence, and corruption threatening visitors. Do you really want to gamble with your life to see a sports event you could easily and more conveniently see from your home on a big screen TV??
Old Mar 9, 2016, 9:23 pm
Original Poster

Agree that right now, the Olympics is a significant risk. We have tickets, flights and some hotel reservations and are considering what to do. Will probably make our final decision in about 3 months.
Old Mar 10, 2016, 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by Dieuwer
People should not be so foolish to go to the Olympics in Brazil. The huge amounts of people make it a health and safety threat, with Zika, drug violence, and corruption threatening visitors. Do you really want to gamble with your life to see a sports event you could easily and more conveniently see from your home on a big screen TV??

Originally Posted by deant
Agree that right now, the Olympics is a significant risk. We have tickets, flights and some hotel reservations and are considering what to do. Will probably make our final decision in about 3 months.
Let's calm down everybody. These epidemics make for good tv news ratings especially combined with the olympics but let's not get whipped up into a frenzy. I live in Rio and know nobody with zika. I don't know any victims of drug violence or corruption, whatever that means. Obviously all three exist here. Remember how the whole world got worked up about Asian bird flu and Mexican swine flu but basically nothing happened? I was here during the World Cup and it was a great time. I expect the same from the Olympics. I have cousins coming from the US for the games and didn't hesitate a second to recommend they maintain their plans. its your life so make the decision best for you obviously, but just know that not everyone here is dying or being killed...
Old Mar 17, 2016, 6:41 am

Programs: Priority Club, TAM Fidelidade, BAEC, Marriott Rewards
I wouldn't worry about Zika unless I'm a pregnant woman (in which case I just wouldn't go)
Dengue and chikungunya are much more dangerous, but I don't think anyone is talking about them outside of Brazil (and they've always been here).
Old Mar 17, 2016, 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by Esmjb
Let's calm down everybody. These epidemics make for good tv news ratings especially combined with the olympics but let's not get whipped up into a frenzy. I live in Rio and know nobody with zika. I don't know any victims of drug violence or corruption, whatever that means. Obviously all three exist here. Remember how the whole world got worked up about Asian bird flu and Mexican swine flu but basically nothing happened? I was here during the World Cup and it was a great time. I expect the same from the Olympics. I have cousins coming from the US for the games and didn't hesitate a second to recommend they maintain their plans. its your life so make the decision best for you obviously, but just know that not everyone here is dying or being killed...

I agree with Esmjb's (not so common apparently) common sense approach, which meshes with my own considerable experience in Brazil.
Old Mar 17, 2016, 12:34 pm

Programs: Smiles Diamante, dirt elsewhere
Originally Posted by Esmjb
This!
Old Mar 17, 2016, 12:40 pm

Programs: American, BA, NWA, United, US Air
reply to CO10T3:
I looked high and low in the 'impresa' and could not find the time of validity for the visa to Brazil. What is the time line? Is it only valid for US, Canada and Japan?
Old Mar 17, 2016, 7:17 pm

Visa requirements by country:
http://chicago.itamaraty.gov.br/en-u...by_country.xml

And regarding the Olympic visa waiver:
Posted 29/02/2016 -
"Citizens of the United States, Japan, Australia and Canada will not be required a visa to enter Brazil for tourism only between June 1 and September 18, 2016.

Visitors are allowed to stay for up to 90 days and must travel with a valid passport from one of the four countries listed above.

All destinations in Brazil are included. Travelers ARE NOT required to be RIO 2016 Olympic Game attendees.

Citizens from all other countries listed as "visa required" must apply for a visa, even if travelling for the Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro.
US, Japanese, Australian and Canadian citizens who will travel to Brazil for business, study, work or any other activity that is not considered tourism must apply for a visa."

Last edited by VidaNaPraia; Mar 17, 2016 at 7:29 pm
Old Mar 21, 2016, 3:57 pm

Programs: Starwood Gold, Hyatt Platinum
Cosport just dumped a bunch of tickets on their website for the olympics, including closing cermonies tickets. Act fast.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.